Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Fuel additive ?

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gamudslinger 
#1 ·
This question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find a real clear answer......I just bout a 2014 6.7 Cummins and the fuel filter needs to replaced soon ......and I was wondering if anyone using a fuel additive like stanadyne?

#2 ·
I've used Power Service and Howes in my 2015. Can't tell if it does anything or not but I figure it helps when the Temps start dropping and it's not that expensive.

#3 ·
Fuel additives are a waste of $$$, other than anti-gel, and only then if you are having gelling issues.

If you like throwing money away, you can always send it to me, I take all cash donations gratefully...:D

#7 ·
I am in a different camp. I drive mine all summer and it sits in garage all winter. But if I need it, the truck is in garage ready to go. Right now its full of fuel, but they have not started selling winter blend in my area. if I was to store my truck now, but than pull it out of the garage in January I might have a fuel gelling problem. so I treat with power service white bottle before storing for winter. but as others have said, only because it lowers the gell point of my summer fuel.

back when I ran diesel all winter, yes I would keep power service white bottle around and treated during winter when temps were going into lower 20's. back in the 70-80's gelling fuel was a big issue, but now a days they have figured out how to prevent it. the only time I have seen gelling in recent years was during a winter cold snap the local refinery had a fire and they started trucking fuel out of the south that was not treated for us in the north and some people had problems. also if I was traveling from south to north in dead of winter I would think about treating the fuel I bought down south as I headed north.

#9 ·
OK, now I have to ask a follow up based on where this thread has gone. Does Fl get a winter blend? It can be 80 degrees here and if I leave to go to the NC mountains it can be below 0 at night and only get into the 20's during the day during a cold snap. Should I worry about my fuel, should I add an additive when going up there, or just top the tank off when I get there assuming they will have winter blend. I usually fill up in southern SC on the way up and do not put gas in again till I am back in SC on my way home.

#13 ·
My '06 with 521000 miles has had nothing but diesel fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.