Cummins Diesel Forum banner

who is running synthetic and why?

4K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Motorolanut 
#1 ·
wonder what others are using for oil. not trying to start a war synthetic vs conventional. just looking for others usage and input or opinions.

#2 ·
0-40 and 5-40 Schaffer Synthetics because conventional turns into grease at -40 and hate seeing no oil pressure for several seconds on start up with a slow turnover. It's fact and Snofarmer can stay out of this thread.

#11 ·
When was the last time you saw -40F,(windchill makes not difference in the engines temp...)

grease and not thick oil? wow who kew.lol

From what ive read most of these guys are plugging them in when it is above 30F:stirpot:,,,lol

so you"re telling me you don't plug her in at -40F?

at -32 i did a little test the other year.
I started with a cold soaked engine -32F.
then i plugged it in, let it cook for 2hr. came back and the oil was at 69F, and the coolant was at 102F.

but then. i wonder why or how all of those engines ever lasted over a million miles before synthetic oil was invented?

i'm not saying it is not easier on the starter or batts to run synthetic,
i think the biggest reason is for ease-of starting as diesels got a bad rap for not starting in the cold, I dont blame the oil, i blame weak batts for this.

if this oil was so thick as hear, (its as thick as grease), i bet the oil filter would pop right off, as this grease couldn't pass threw the filter.:stirpot:

but that if it is as thick as grease in cant run back down into the pan...

I know, i know, the book says this and that and we know how most fallow the book..:stirpot:. as it says not to tamper with the emissions, or to modify it in any way....

Remember almost 20% of that QT of synthetic is conventional as there are no synthetic additive packages, its the same additives that are used in conventional oil.

and before the amsoil or 98% of the other synthetic oil folks jump my boat, remember there are only 2-3 refiners making all of the synthetic base stock. Amsoil makes nothing, they just blend in a additive package to the base stock they buy.

Its your money and engine, your engine will last just as long on conventional oil. and most of you will never see -40F or anything even close to it.

pss if i believe all the synthetic hipe, all those diesels that we ran 15w-40 conventional oil in all winter long in northern MN should have blown out seals and ground them selves up from lack of lubrication when we started them cold (unplugged) at -60 degrees F. that was recorded just up the road.

#4 ·
Rosella T-6 full synthetic in all the trucks. I use synth because of molecular stability. It won't break down and lose viscosity nearly as quick as conventional oil.

Reactions: Chevokeeman
#5 ·
Mobil-1 full synthetic 5W40 because it occasionally gets near 0 here so not as bad as N of 60 territory but running synthetic for the same reasons. Ran Mobil Delvac 15-40 for 1 oil change then moved on. Now I keep with the synthetic instead of switching back and forth with the seasons.

Ramit 2012 CCSB ST G56 3:42 Mineral Gray MOPAR

#6 ·
I mainly use Mobil 1 5w40 TDT. I have also used Mobil Delvac 15w40 as well as Valvoline 15w40 and Rotella T6 in the past. You really cant go wrong with either, synthetic or dino oil. It's just a personal preference type of thing. To talk about molecular stability and the like is not accurate. There are drivers out there running conventional oil for 25k+ miles, but they are doing oil samples for verification. The same goes for synthetic oil. I've heard phrases like syn is more slippery than dino and has smaller molecules. Honestly, look up how small a molecule is, and you will realize how ignorant those statements are. It's all just marketing hype with pretty pictures to aid in duping you. Synthetic oil gives you better cold starting in temps like Alaska or Yukon and way up north. As far as high temps, well it doesn't get any hotter than in a turbo. Dino oil can and has been taking the heat from a turbo since the beginning also. Synthetics are said to be able to take more heat than dino, so that's a win win situation for us truck owners. If you want the most out of your oil, take samples and KNOW how the oil is doing. If not, then just get the cheapest oil you can find and roll with it. There is no BEST oil out there. The best oil, is the oil you have in the truck at any time. Even bad oil is better than no oil. Hope this helps. Best to you.

#7 ·
To talk of molecular stability IS accurate. You said so yourself with your comments about heat. Conventional oil breaks down (burns) much quicker than synth. That means synth has more stable molecule structure... Just because you prefer conventional oil, don't lie to the op. And no, there is nothing wrong with conventional oil. If you want to change oil a little more often, don't live in extreme cold, and don't hot rod your truck, then conventional oil is just fine. And cheaper.

Reactions: tlevan03
#10 ·
Well Sir you may be correct. This is a cut and paste error that I didn't go back and correct. Didn't mean to refer to Molecular stability, but more so Molecular Size. Like you've seen on ads etc showing different size molecules. Now as far as telling a lie to the OP, You might want to read my post again. It states I mostly run Mobil 1 in my truck. My preference is for synthetic, but conventional has its place as well.
Best to you.

#8 ·
Rotella T-6 full synthetic. May switch to Amsoil...not sure.

#12 ·
I don't understand why you are defending conventional oil. Yea it worked great when that's all we had. Things progress and new stuff is invented for longevity and superior protection. Doesn't mean the old stuff is junk now. It has is uses in cost effective areas but synthetic oil has been tested and tested to be superior to Dino.
Just because it's old and used forever doesn't mean it's the best. Just old.

Maybe it's just us younger aged hooligans and our new fangled oil.

Rotella T6 only for me. I use synthetic in everything.

Also there are situations where plugging in a truck isn't an option. Say a blizzard in a remote area knocks out power for a week or 2. Your heating and cooking off your wood stove. Or your in an area working where power hook up to your truck isn't feasible. You cant rely solely on your block heater for starting reliability.
But we can feel at ease more because we're not driving powerstrokes. ��

Reactions: warsw
#16 ·
ROTELLA_T6... With that said, it's my opinion that one of the most important advancements in vehicle maintenance has been with fluids. So, I use the best fluid that has the most bang for the buck...

#18 ·
Why worry so much about the base oil stock when it's the anti wear additives in the motor oil that do most of the work....

IMO go look at some virgin oil analysises, some used oil analysises, and then make your decision based on your research there. It's the anti wear additives that make all the difference!

#19 ·
WHY cause some people have deep pockets :$::stirpot: :hehe:

I agree with colder weather thing:thumbup:

Oh wait I have one even better! OIL IS OIL no matter how you pour it!

I am just having fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.