Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Jet A in 2013

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  DIESEL75 
#1 ·
ok, i know this has been talked about but all that I've read was for older trucks. Has anyone ran Jet A fuel in their 2013 and up truck? Pro's Con's. i know you need to run 2 stroke oil with it for lubrication but again all i have read about was for older trucks.

thanks
Dom

#3 ·
I tried some 2 stroke oil for extra lubrication.

The truck had injector rattle it didn't have normally.

Based off how much you'd have to run for lubricity, I wouldn't.

#5 ·
1. Jet-A is a relatively high sulfur fuel, diesel is low sulfur and EPA requirements are getting more stringent about sulfur in diesel every year. After all, we are now in the Ultra-Low Sulfur diesel era. Using Jet-A in your truck will be highly frowned on by your EPA inspector and could lead to fines.
2. Jet-A is “dry.” Diesel is made in such a way, or additives are mixed in, to lubricate the injector system of a diesel engine.
3. Jet-A is closer to kerosene and Diesel #1. Most modern diesel engines specify Diesel #2.
4. The viscosity specifications for the two fuels is different. Jet-A and Diesel #1 tend towards lower viscosities than Diesel #2. Lower lubricity is likely as the viscosity decreases. This may not cause catastrophic instant damage, but it may cause long-term wear of pumps, injectors, etc.
5. Cetane number. Diesel #2 is manufactured with a required cetane number. ASTM D975 specifies a minimum of 40. Most Diesel #2 in the U.S. is 42-45. The ASTM specification for Jet-A, ASTM D1655, has NO minimum cetane rating, because cetane pertains to compression ignition engines, and has no meaning in turbine engines. Using a fuel with too low a cetane number in a diesel engine will just result in a rough-running or not running at all engine. This is why Exxon required pilots of Diamond aircraft with Thielert diesel engines to sign a liability release to fill up with Jet-A at Exxon airport supplier,

#6 ·
When I was working for the oil companies Jet-A, Kerosene and Diesel#1/stove oil all came from the same tank. The only difference between Jet-A and the others was Jet-a was run through a series of filters to clean it up and remove all the moisture from the product. Jet-A has very little lubrication compared to Diesel #2 and has less BTUs per volume. 70% Diesel #2 mixed with 30% Kerosene is how we made winter diesel. I would not run straight Jet-A/Kerosene in a engine designed for Diesel #2. You will have way less power and possibly burn up your motor.

#8 ·
They do...They're just good clay filter systems that clean it up. Been there. I worked there for almost 40 year. Unless you have experience ....Why argue?

#9 ·
One doesn't need to work in varying jobs at a refinery, that have nothing to do with the actual refining process to be abel to read.

Your argument could be extended to you.
Do you build jet or diesels, have you tested the fuels?
Do you set the guidelines for jet fuel?
Do you set the guidelines for cummins engines?

Back to the topic at hand.

#1 is 15ppm or a ulsd , jet fuel has a much higher sulfer level.
Sulfer is not removed or added by a clay filter.

Are you sawing they add sulfer the the jet fuel?

#10 ·
No matter what you think you know or how much you read the fact is exactly what I just told you. I have worked for the oil companies for over 40 years. I have followed the product from the refinery to the jets the products is loaded in. I have received it. I have loaded it in the trucks that deliver it. I have tested it. The reality is exactly what I said. Read what you want but this is what is done. Believe it or not. I have done it for real. Not going to argue with you any longer. What I said is the reality. Enough said.

Reactions: bufordTjustice
#11 ·
Here is a interesting little tid-bit.

Ultra Low Sulfur Kerosene

Ultra Low Sulfur Kerosene (ULSK) is a light petroleum fraction, lighter than diesel. It is similar to kerosene, except that the sulfur content is at or below 15 ppm (0.0015 wt %). In its neat form it is colorless with a diesel odor. It typically has an api gravity in the 41º - 46º range. It possesses very favorable cold flow properties. Therefore many times it is blended into diesel fuel to improve cold flow properties when using the fuel in northern climates. For this reason it is also known as No. 1 diesel.

Since it is considered a motor fuel, and therefore taxed as such, IRS regulations allow for the addition of red dye, at the terminal level, to render it unsuitable as a motor fuel, and thus exempt from federal taxes. Typically, at the state level, state taxing authorities usually exempt it from state taxes when dyed according to IRS regulations.

In addition to a cold weather fuel, it is many times used as a fuel for municipal buses, as the emissions tend to be very low.

Sprague offers this fuel, both dyed and undyed, in several terminals, especially in northern New England areas.

Reactions: Grogg
#12 ·
With regards to running JET A1 in your cummins, I ran it for 3 years in my 06, with no problems what so ever, then sold the vehicle. The fuel mileage I got was 13L/100 KM, which seems to be on par with everyone else filling up at the pump. My coworker has a 08 cummins, with egr. Since new has only seen 1 full tank of regular diesel from the dealer, after that all jet A. No problems again. I know stanadynes makes a lubricant for jet A. The stuff is highly concentrated ,but expensive, but still worth it in regards TO $1.05.00 GAS PRICES. I personally run howes lubricant in my 15 ram, which treates about 1000 litres per jug if I remember. In reply to snofarmers comments on diamond aircraft . Transport canada would never approve jet A in the thielert engines if there was a problem. THIELERT has gone under but that is besides the point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.