Cummins Diesel Forum banner

WMO as fuel question

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  9297oldram 
#1 ·
I am interested in running WMO as a fuel. I understand filtering and centrifuging etc. My question is my source would be wmo mixed with synthetic and tranny fluid. Can that mix be used safely in a 50/50 ratio with diesel in a 12v?

Using a centrifuge, will I need to worry about water or antifreeze in the oil afterward?

Finally, if there's a comprehensive Alt. fuel thread where all my questions are answered, can someone point me to it? I cannot seem to limit my searches to the alt fuels forum.

#2 ·
I've been running filtered WMO in my 12v's for about 5 years now. I don't put no more than 1 to 2 gallons in each tank at fillup.

It's a mixture of syn, conv. and atf.

#3 ·
Check out stephenchastain.com he has a book id like to buy as well as a free pamphlet on burning wmo as fuel. Very informative. Talks about the specific gravity of diffferent contaminates in the oil, explains how the centrifuge works.

#4 ·
This past summer I did some experimenting with fuels and had awesome results. I bought a 5 micron sock filter from Amazon to filter out the particulates before using as fuel. I ran ATF, gear fluid, canola oil, motor oil, hydraulic fluid and I cut it all down with 87 octane. I ran about 15 gallons to 5 gallons of diesel and it did great. If I can find a reliable source of WMO, I'll buy a centrifuge and run 80% WMO in the summer and 20% WMO in the winter (very cold here).

#5 ·
I quit running ATF, found out that it had to be made so it wouldn't burn. This fall when I changed my trans fluid I put some in a pan and tried to get it to burn and it wouldn't.

I just run my WMO through 3 filters and into my tank, but also I only use my own used oil so I know it's clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.