Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2 Cycle Question

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Big_Iz 
#1 ·
So I've been reading up on this 2 cycle oil topic for a while now and I'm about to go cross eyed. I have a 2008 6.7, and the last post I can remember seeing about using 2 cycle in a 6.7 was posted somewhere around 2008. Is it still considered a waste of money using the 2 cycle oil in a 2008+ engine? Or has it come to light in the past 8 years that it does have an effect?

#3 ·
The last i had seen on the 90+ page thread that I read was that the verdict was still out on whether or not 2 cycle oil would benefit the 6.7's. I guess either way, it wouldn't necessarily "hurt" it I guess.

#4 ·
This may not be of help but I once worked for a trucking company back before emissions, in 1987,to 92 and they blended the motor oil into the fuel tank at each oil change, the fleet was 80% cummins. I guess at 12 gallons per oil change and 4000 trucks it was a big savings and approved by the engine manufacturer, again, that was a long time ago, lol. It didn't harm anything at the time. By the way Thanks for your service bud.

Reactions: HFD131
#5 ·
Yea, I guess it has something to do with the 6.7's made to run off of the newer ULSD fuel. The posts I was reading were older ones. Guess I need to dig a little further in to it and see if there are any updates. Thank you all for the replies though!!

#8 ·
I don't have a 6.7 but have heard that common rail doesn't like 2 cyc, ATF, or the other weird stuff.

#10 ·
Good to hear from someone real time. I read it in magazines and a few forums. I'll be trusting your experience instead now.

#11 ·
I used to run 2 cycle oil in my previous 7.3 PSD with a 1mpg improvement. I haven't considered such with the new CTD with all the emissions -- has there been any input as to impact to the CAT, DPF, etc?

#12 ·
The lubricating advantages of 2-stoke are for pre-2007 engines. Its been advised to NOT use 2-stroke, or any other oil, in the fuel of trucks built after that date due to their emissions components. Rather if you feel the need to run a fuel lubricant, use something else which states that its OK to use in the more EPA friendly trucks. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't felt the need for it, as I did with the old PSD, but would be interested anything that happened to improve MPG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.