Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Oil Leak 06' 5.9L

15K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  johne610 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had problems with oil leaking between the engine and trans. My truck currenly has 11k miles and is on it's way back to the dealer for this problem. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem?

#2 ·
Yep! I'm willing to bet that your oil is coming from your blow by tube and isn't actually a leak from anywhere. I have the same problem and so do a lot of others out there. Just my $.02.

Keep us posted on what you find out at the dealer.

#4 ·
It is at the dealer at this time. I saw the blow tube when I looked under there and it do not look like the oil was coming from that. I will let you know here in a little bit.
Thanks!

#5 ·
The dealer said the oil is coming from oil seeping out of the motor, not the oil that is in the pan. I guess from when it was built? They put some dye in the oil and said to bring it back in a 1000 miles to check it again. Sounds like a case of "we don't know" to me. Anyone know if these motors seep oil out of themselves????????

#7 ·
I have also had this oil leak problem. Mine appears to be coming from between the trans and oil pan like you but also from the blow tube on the side. but mine is a very very slight leak (not even enough to drip) so im not gonna worry about it until it gets worse

#8 ·
"Oil Leak"

I pulled my hair out on this one also. I was bigtime PO'ed when I saw the dreaded spot on my concrete drive. Someone on the sites told me to check the coolant hose that runs down the rear of the engine on the passenger side for loose clamps and Voila mine were finger tight. I snugged them up and have been dry as a bone for 40K + now.

#9 ·
Thanks, I threw the BS card when they told me that. That oil or whatever is leaking is coming form somewhere! I'll check the coolant tube---This makes sense because the fluid is not black looking like the engine oil. It appeared to be a light brown color as I recall it.

#10 ·
I got the exact same mystery oil patch on my 07 5.9. It's not ATF, it's not Anti-freeze (had that issue too with the short coolant hose clamps being loose). It appears to have the same color and viscosity of new engine oil. I do my own oil changes and did not make a mess, not to mention that was 3000 miles ago. It's on the small cover on the front of the tranny, not even enough to form a drip. Can't see where it's coming from, since it's only very slight I'm content to just keep a watchful eye on it.

#11 ·
I am glad I am not alone. You have described my oil leak to a "T" the only exception being----I have 2 places in my driveway where it has dripped a good bit. It was on the plate and it looks like traditional motor oil in color. Keep me posted if you have any change.

#12 ·
Will do. Make sure you check those clamps on the short section of coolant hose too. At first glance they form and drip from the same place. If you have someone diagnose yours please post it up.

#13 ·
I will post after I take this back to the dealer again. In the mean-time I will check coolant hoses to be sure they are tight. I had another decent leak on my driveway again this morning. I suspect anti freeze because I am noticing it more often than not when the temp gets below 30 degrees. I was 24 here this morning. The color and viscocity sure looks like regular engine oil to me??? I'll be back later.

#15 ·
Have you noticed if the coolant reservoir is low? I think I have this same problem - I added about a gallon of water to the reservoir, and marked the line. Still troubleshooting - let me know what you find...thanks

#14 ·
After doing some checking around the underside myself, the leak appears to be coming from the trans line that is screwed into the drivers side on the trans. It has made quite a mess under there. It amazes me that the dealership did not or should I say chose not to notice this. It is very obvious if you just get under there and look. This will be going back again on Wed. I guess I will have to tell them what to fix this time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.