How to change oil pan gasket??? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I had to change my oil pan this spring I got the pan and gasket from cummins for around 150 bucks and that was with frieght
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 01:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Dieselfury,

I picked up a oil pan gasket at Advance Auto. Lifted the engine enough to get the pan out and used C-clamp on each bolt hole on the pan to flatten it out again. There is a TSB out there in regards to the oil pan which mentioned ading some type of RTV to the rear portion of the pan in addition to the gasket. So far so good with no issues and I just did mine in Feb of this year.

oudive
two Canoe (09-27-2010)
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by depcox View Post
I had to change my oil pan this spring I got the pan and gasket from cummins for around 150 bucks and that was with frieght
Dodge quoted me $750. for the pan. $2,350. total installed. Where can I get a pan and gaskets. Engine #57030612 I talked to a used part dealer on Ebay. I gave them this number they had 4 pans for a 5.9 cummins but said they wouldnt match. help
two Canoe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 11:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Dude....$2300+ for a pan and gasket??
Napa lists a cheap FelPro gasket for $25. Scheid diesel lists a Cummins P/N replacement gasket for $45. A couple other places online list the Cummins P/N and prices less than $40.

I have a very hard time believing that you have a one of a kind pan. Especially when you look at the pan gaskets online and the 98-02 24V trucks all have the same part number. In fact, the Cummins part number: 3959052 is listed for 89-02 5.9's.

I'd check around for a pan. Surely you can find one at a local junk yard or online somewhere for a lot less.
2004.5 Cummins HO QCSB 4X4 SLT, TST PMCR, BDDL, HTB2 62/14, Goerend Full Billet Trans/TC/VB, FASS 95, Amsoil 4090, Magnaflow SS, Smittybuilt Bars, Westin Grille Guard, Di-Pricol Optix Gauges, Tuff Country 4.5" Lift, Eagle rims, 35/12.5/18 Toyo MT's, Bushwacker Flares
2001 Cummins SO QCSB 4x4 Laramie, Edge Juice w/Att, HE351cw, Airdog, Amsoil 4095, 4" Magnaflow SS.
Cummins600 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

On the note of the thread, I've been fixing all the little issues with my 01 one at a time as I find them. When I bought the truck, it had been neglected. The front seal had been leaking and the vacuum pump was leaking. The radiator, front of the truck, frame, front axle, etc were caked in dirt and grime. After fixing those and several pressure washes, I learned that I needed to modify my oil breather as well. So I did that and things on the front end were staying much cleaner. For as long as I've owned the truck I've notice a diesel smell and after fixing all the other things, I observed a film on the front differential cover after a couple months. Checked it out, and it smelled of diesel. Investigated it further and found out that one of the injection pump high pressure lines was barely leaking. Turned out it was just lose. So I fixed that, cleaned up everything really good (again) and just started to notice a film on the front diff again. I have good dry vent coming out of the vent tube, so I am not thinking overpressure in the case. Only place I can see any sign of a leak, is at or below the oil pan gasket level. Only on the drivers side, and just at the crossmember on the frame and a film developing on the differential.

I tightened the pan bolts once before thinking it might have been an issue. They were snug then and it didn't make a change at the time. Now that things are dry above the pan gasket, I am thinking the oil pan is the issue. No real drips forming to speak of, just the film. However, on the clean parts I am able to wipe them down and get a really greenish/caramel colored oil from it. Leading me to believe motor oil and keeping me watching that pan gasket.

Anyone have any other suggestions? If not, I guess I will be looking to rent a lift for a weekend.
2004.5 Cummins HO QCSB 4X4 SLT, TST PMCR, BDDL, HTB2 62/14, Goerend Full Billet Trans/TC/VB, FASS 95, Amsoil 4090, Magnaflow SS, Smittybuilt Bars, Westin Grille Guard, Di-Pricol Optix Gauges, Tuff Country 4.5" Lift, Eagle rims, 35/12.5/18 Toyo MT's, Bushwacker Flares
2001 Cummins SO QCSB 4x4 Laramie, Edge Juice w/Att, HE351cw, Airdog, Amsoil 4095, 4" Magnaflow SS.
Cummins600 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

I bought the pan right from cummins $450 and gasket $37 did it myself 6hrs. thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

if you are going to drop the pan use this kit from puredieselpower.com it comes with two oil pan gaskets two suction tube gaskets and a girdle to make the block stronger for $230

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/8902-59l-valve-cummins-block-stiffener-girdle-kit-p-1408.html[/URL]
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I dont have an engine hoist, has anyone ever done it by using floor jacks on the motor mounts?
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Head

yep on an 05 I used two dodge jacks, one under each motor mount and then the jack base rested on the axel, I had enough room to unbolt the pan and oil pick up tube, and slide the oil pan out.
Valverde (10-23-2010)
Old 10-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Do you have to remove the thru bolt completely? The frame is open to the top and looks like you can just raise the engine with the rubber and bolts still in place.

I am in the middle of it and decided to stop and ask since It is starting to raise but it is taking alot of pressure and I dont want to break a mount.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

OK, I figured out you dont have to remove the thru bolt, the only problem now is the whole body is rising up with it. If you crawl out and push down on the bumper the motor rises up!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

I did this job myself, It is tricky to undo the feed tube and braces that support the feed tube. Note the motor mount bolts only need to be backed off. then lift the motor. I used a floor jack for the tranny lift. I lifted the tranny the with off a 2x4 (1 1/2") . As I was lifting the motor I played with the fan on Rad till it jammed. This was high enough to just do the job. The feed tube flange bolt heads are 10mm and the support brackets are 13mm. The motor mount bolts are 18mm. Word of advice. I am a mechanic and this would rate up there as a tough job to do. If you dont tighten the feed tube flange and it suckes air Your engine will destruct rather quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.