compression test - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
compression test

what dose the compression need to be on my 98.5 cummins,the shop i carryed it to said it was 345 lb is that to low? that was on 5 cylinders.he diddent check 6.
wadecook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadecook View Post
what dose the compression need to be on my 98.5 cummins,the shop i carryed it to said it was 345 lb is that to low? that was on 5 cylinders.he diddent check 6.
You be safe for 350-375 lbs per cylinder Wade.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

#1 had 350,#2had 365,#3had 340,#4 had 320 he didn't check the last 2.so i reckon its time to tear it down.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
#1 had 350,#2had 365,#3had 340,#4 had 320 he didn't check the last 2.so i reckon its time to tear it down.
Does the truck run fine? If so why do a tear down? The numbers seem decent.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Wade that's really not that bad to jump to a rebuild. BUT , something's going on with your truck I just don't know what. it very well could be compression issues too. I'd ask a diesel mechanic and see what he thinks. If you do pull the head and the cylinders look good which really don't mean anything by looks. All that work was for nothing. You've done a vp,ECM,all sensors and nothing changes. But, engines usually don't do the problems your having for nothing. Bring the truck to Nebraska and I'd help you out.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Those are some different number there 320 isn't crazy low but the one is 350 or something so that's not good but you could also be dealing with a cylinder Head valve seat cracks couple different issues how many miles on the truck
Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Valves may not be seating right in your head leaving a tiny gap pushing air back out your intake and exhaust valves. Piston rings may not be setting against the cylinder wall good. Cylinder rings could have shifted around your ring land and causing compression to easily get through your rings as in your rings are suppose to be staggered all the way around. If one of them shifted it could cause cylinder pressure to drop a tad bit but not a lot.
1999 2500 Sport 4X4, 4:10 5" str. to 8" single stack, Fass150, BW 63/68/.80, edge drag comp, DFI 7X.010s SAC, ISSPRO gauges, BHAF, TC Lock-up, valve body, HD Headbolts, flexplate, Daaco Triple Disc TC, Sonnax billet input 285s 2'' leveling
99coalroller24V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

i always thought the compression numbers didn't matter exactly (cold vs hot engine) it was just the differences in compression between cylinders that caused issues?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
You would want your compression ratio in all of your cylinders roughly the same whether its cold or hot. Most diesel trucks are 16:1 but Im not sure if thats how these trucks are or not. The crank is timed around 10 degrees ATDC because of mechanical help. If a cylinder doesn't have a good compression on the compression stroke then the powerstroke isn't going to be as great causing a drop in engine performance.
1999 2500 Sport 4X4, 4:10 5" str. to 8" single stack, Fass150, BW 63/68/.80, edge drag comp, DFI 7X.010s SAC, ISSPRO gauges, BHAF, TC Lock-up, valve body, HD Headbolts, flexplate, Daaco Triple Disc TC, Sonnax billet input 285s 2'' leveling
99coalroller24V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6sp5.9 View Post
Wade that's really not that bad to jump to a rebuild. BUT , something's going on with your truck I just don't know what. it very well could be compression issues too. I'd ask a diesel mechanic and see what he thinks. If you do pull the head and the cylinders look good which really don't mean anything by looks. All that work was for nothing. You've done a vp,ECM,all sensors and nothing changes. But, engines usually don't do the problems your having for nothing. Bring the truck to Nebraska and I'd help you out.
well i don't remember if i told yal or not but when my girl ran it out of fuel .they went and got fuel for it.they put it in and tried to start it.well some boy stopped to help and they said he poured diesel in the breather.i don't know how much or it might have been gas.so now i think it might have over revved when it cranked.you know how it is when your not there and don't know what happened or how the truck acted when it quit.its like chasing a blind hog here.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite24v View Post
Those are some different number there 320 isn't crazy low but the one is 350 or something so that's not good but you could also be dealing with a cylinder Head valve seat cracks couple different issues how many miles on the truck
278,000 miles,just broke in good for a cummins
Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnett03 View Post
Does the truck run fine? If so why do a tear down? The numbers seem decent.
it runs like new when you start it on starting fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.