Oil and coolant in the wrong places - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oil and coolant in the wrong places

So i was cleaning my puke bottle today and noticed a little bit of coolant in the bottle. I took off the radiator cap and noticed some oil had collected around the cap in the radiator. I just replaced the head gasket. Did that gasket fell on me or could it be coming from some other place? I don't see any coolant coming from the head.
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

what was the color of the oil? Milky white? grey? also i'm assuming the coolant was pure green in the oil bottle? if so chances are some might have fell into the bottle while you removed the head. if your getting oil in your coolant however, i'd be looking at the oil cooler - maybe remove and pressure test it. cheapest 1st.
CWCTech88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Did you replace the head gasket because it blew? Reason I ask is you could have some cross-contamination from blowing the head gasket.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

The oil didn't look too bad. It was not milky or grey it was black. Yes the coolant in the bottle was just little bit and it was dark green. Ok i will check the oil cooler first. Thank you for your reply!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

No problem, just remembered - to save you some time and money, One thing you could try is pressure testing the cooling system first to see if you actually do have an internal leak. if it is the oil cooler, you should notice a bit of a pressure drop, and the oil level will rise accordingly. if no pressure drop, clean everything out and drive it for a while, see what happens ie: losing/making oil, coolant is turning color etc....
Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yes i replaced it because i had some coolant leaking fromt the head and was getting some crappy fuel economy.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Western WA President

Thanked 1,754 Times in 1,263 Posts
likely had some cross contamination from when the head gasket went...if you didn't flush your cooling system after changing the head gasket, there will likely be some left over oil in the coolant...

flush the coolant, fill it back up, and check it again later.

oil cooler gaskets may be a possibility, but the oil cooler itself failing is near impossible unless it has taken an impact or you are running concentrated acid for coolant?
my truck is literally full of Panties already...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'strokeThis_'07 View Post
I'll admit, I was sitting here giggling like a little girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Mud Machine View Post
I have been noticing that when inhaling it was almost like sucking a golfball through a garden hose...
jigabop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not to start a whole thread robbery/argument, but Iv'e seen more oil cooler elements leak than gaskets - up here in Canada anyway. it is possible if the cooling system wasn't correctly de-aerated when filled, a pocket of air in the oil cooler housing could make it rupture and leak when run at full operating temps for an extended period of time. rememeber 60 psi oil pressure vs 14 psi coolant pressure+weak link..... I'll leave it at that
Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Thanks for the replies everybody. How often do you see oil in coolant from a bad head gasket? Will i see coolant leaking from the oil cooler gasket if it is bad? Im really hoping that it is not the head gasket.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Western WA President

when my head gasket went, my radiator overflow was literally pissing oil out of it...

as for oil cooler...I still seriously doubt a cummins oil cooler leaked on you...they are made of pretty heavy steel. they are not aluminum and they are not light weight or cheaply made...it is a $500 part that weighs quite a bit..

as for seeing leaks...you can see either leak from one of the two gaskets on there...the oil cooler is a large steel liquid to liquid heat exchanger behind the oil filter between the cylinders in the side of the engine block. (which is a large water jacket)
Quote:
Quote:
I have been noticing that when inhaling it was almost like sucking a golfball through a garden hose...
Old 05-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigabop View Post
when my head gasket went, my radiator overflow was literally pissing oil out of it...
Exactly like mine too

I flushed mine with Cascade
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. 8x.010 VCO's, 62-65-.70A/R adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs 496.4hp/1082tq Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Western WA President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
Exactly like mine too

I flushed mine with Cascade
I flushed mine with dawn!

dish soap flush FTW!

well actually I got a new radiator and flushed the rest with dish soap...they said my radiator was 80% clogged
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.