injection pump or ecm? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
injection pump or ecm?

injection pump or ecm?-fff.jpg

the local dodge dealer said the injection pump was bad with these codes but the truck still starts and runs ok just builds low boost and runs sluggish.
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

He speaks the truth unfortunately. 0216 is the vp death code but in a lot of cases the truck will remain driveable for a while but how long is anyones guess. I drove mine for 12 months with this code. Yours could last this long or it could stop tomorrow.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

what's with the low and high voltage codes though isn't that an ecm problem or is the vp44 making it throw all the sensor codes cause I found a vp44 for 975 on thoroughbred diesel and a local shop would install it for 100 bucks but I don't wanna go throwing parts at it till I know defiantly
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

Low and high voltages can indicate a dying ECM. Your best bet would be to find a post from mopar1973man here and get his phone number in his sig and give him a shout. Guy really knows about these trucks and will be able to help you out better then I can.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
High low voltage is the vp not communicating with the Ecm correctly. Think of it like mixed signals. That's the board going bad in the vp.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Your gonna need a vp! I have had a p0216 that keeps coming back for ~7 months... Has started and drove fine until this last week I have an intermittent hard start (with lots of white smoke) still drives fine but I know its gonna die soon.

Just like yours, mine could die any time, but now that I have the hard start w/white smoke I'm not gonna push it much further myself...
my_samurai (03-14-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Welp new vp44 still same old song and dance same codes. Pulled the edge off still no power what's the next step ecm? What's the best way to get an ecm rebuilt or buy one new? Or could old battery's cause this mine are crap attitude showed 13.9 ecm volts though.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

Unfortunately dodge themselves are the only reliable ecm suppliers. I have seen a few posts from guys who got theirs from cummins and other posts that say cummins don't do ecm's for their engines in the dodge trucks. I don't know what to tell you there, make a few enquires I suppose.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

To me the ecm costs more than the trucks are worth., if mine dies i will try a wrecking yard, if they dont have one they can have the truck. I mean who ever heard of a ecm being mounted to the block, where it is hot/cold all the time and sometimes wet. Those things belong inside the cab. Seems to me the more i read about this stuff makes me ask myself why i bought one, my 97 powerstroke had 4 computers, and none mounted on the engine, that was a fail from the beginning. Not saying the ford is any better, but things just start adding up. First weak vp's, junk lift pumps, lame front suspensions vacuum pumps that are the dumbest design when it could have been belt driven and be half the cost.
Fun to drive but geez. Good luck to you man, i hope it works out for you, its really bad that you spent the money on the vp and it didnt help.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforbes View Post
To me the ecm costs more than the trucks are worth., if mine dies i will try a wrecking yard, if they dont have one they can have the truck. I mean who ever heard of a ecm being mounted to the block, where it is hot/cold all the time and sometimes wet. Those things belong inside the cab. Seems to me the more i read about this stuff makes me ask myself why i bought one, my 97 powerstroke had 4 computers, and none mounted on the engine, that was a fail from the beginning. Not saying the ford is any better, but things just start adding up. First weak vp's, junk lift pumps, lame front suspensions vacuum pumps that are the dumbest design when it could have been belt driven and be half the cost.
Fun to drive but geez. Good luck to you man, i hope it works out for you, its really bad that you spent the money on the vp and it didnt help.
I agree I'd park it and wait to find a used. Noway i'd pay $1500-2k for a computer. If the Vp code comes I will definately drive it till it quits before changing it.

The ecm mounted on the engine probably isnt a good idea, but fords have wiring under the valve covers and the VC gaskets double as an electrical connections. A high volume oil pump to fire injectors that are $300 a piece and like you said 4 computers. I had a 95 back years ago. After the injector harness burned up due to a bad gp i got out the for sale sign after doing that job myself.

The computer controlled 24 v is great when it works. No guessing at starting like a 12v having to hold the pedal X amount and cycle the grids twice when its cold then hold the pedal down for a minute to get it to idle on its own.

All engines have their downfalls.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to moparguy55 For This Useful Post:
eforbes (04-12-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

A lot of diesel engines have there ECM's bolted to the block. I assume it's possibly to keep moisture from building up due to the heat keeping it dry?????? or more then likely it's just the easiest option for the engine manufacturer and whoever the engine is for.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish power mad View Post
A lot of diesel engines have there ECM's bolted to the block. I assume it's possibly to keep moisture from building up due to the heat keeping it dry?????? or more then likely it's just the easiest option for the engine manufacturer and whoever the engine is for.
You hit it right on the head, its the easiest, but not the best place for the module that is so important, full of vibration and heat cycles.
irish power mad (04-12-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.