Edge Ez, Check engine light, P0238 Code and fluctuating pressure guage - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Edge Ez, Check engine light, P0238 Code and fluctuating pressure guage

Looking for some advice. I have a 1999 Cummins Dually. After loosing the lift pump and injector pump over a year ago I put a fuel pressure sensor on the filter filter housing. The gauge always fluctuated erractialy so I never trusted it. I'd frequently see pressures at zero when on the throttle. Truck ran fine. Not trusting the LP I installed an Airdog II and a new pressure gauge from Glow Shift. I've installed the sending unit "T"ed into the fuel line and mounted it on the stock fuel filter that is no longer used with the airdog. I grounded the sending unit to the manifold/filter housing bolts.

The new gauge reads above 13-15psi constantly but spikes above that erratically at times as high as 25-30 which is max. If the sending unit looses ground the gauge will go to 30psi...pegged out. The fluctuation appears to be the result of a fluctuating ground. Checking the continuity between the engine and the battery, from the manifold heater ground wire to battery the Ohms fluctuate while I hear the manifold heater cycle and engine load change with the alternator amp draw. From 1-3ohms to out of range on 200Ohm setting. I cleaned all engine, frame, and body ground. I wouldn't think ohms would change between the engine and battery under amp draw from the heater. To eliminate the ground issue from the engine I grounded the sending unit directly to the battery hoping this would fix this issue.....no change:bang head:
So now I'm assuming I need scubber or needle valve as others have.

The second issue is the check engine light with the install of an Edge Ez module.

Shortly after installing the EZ the check engine light came on.....called ez tech and after trying numerous code resets (P0238) they sent me a new module. With the new module installed I still get the code. I replace the map sensor and still get the code.....wasted $130. The code says it's a High Voltage on the map sensor. Code goes away without the edge....Truck runs great on the edge . Tech at EZ thinks the added resistance in adding the module is possibly why the code is being thrown for high voltage....they do pull voltage from the map sensor.
So I'm wandering if the weird ohms readings and fluctuating pressure gauge is also related to why the check engine light is coming on with the Ez module installed.....I can't see two modules being bad. They're ready to send me another module but I don't think it will solve the issue.

Am I the victim of a resistance gremlin?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Halibutgrove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any electricians out there that can explain why continuity would drop on the ground terminal during a heavy load on the battery?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

I installed a 12" grease gun hose and needle valve before the electric sending unit today and have it "T"ed into the air dog supply line about 12" before the inlet of the VP. The gauge is more steady but it still jumps up to 25 or even 30.

As for the MAP sensor issue. We hooked up a scan tool today that provides the voltage output from the sensor.

At start up the sensor is reading a high voltage of 4.9 and boost of 50psi. It can go away quickly or remain for a short period....discovered this is why the truck falls on its face sometimes after startup. It usually goes away. With the edge ez disconnected everything works normal.

With the MAP sensor disconnected and key on, the ECM reads a slowy climbing map voltage and boost. After about 10 mins the voltage was up to 1.0 volts and it was reading 10psi of boost ( Truck was not running) Will call edge Monday but I find it hard believe I've been sent two bad modules.

Any ideas regarding this issue?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
First of the water hammer killed your fuel pressure sender.

No. A grease gun hose does absolutely nothing this is a Internet myth.

I suggest you replace the sender with a new one remove the grease gun hose then install a needle valve first then the sender on top. Don't use thread sealant this messes up the ground path for the sender like the grease gun hose does too.

As for the P0238 code. Disconnect the Edge EZ and reset the codes go for a ride if the codes don't return then the Edge EZ has failed. Boost fooler circuit is damaged internally.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Moparman, thanks for the reply. I suspect as you that possibly the sending unit maybe damaged. According the manufacture the casing of the sending unit doesn't require grounding but it should be grounded anyway with the bracket I'm using to support the unit on the engine.

With the edge module disconnected I'm not getting the code and I'm on the second edge module. I'm going to call Edge Monday and see what they have to say about what's happen. The edge boost fooler is working after startup but for some reason I'm getting this crazy spike in voltage at startup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.