Rebuilding Injectors - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rebuilding Injectors

Well I'm stumped. I picked up a motor recently and it was supposed to have 100hp injectors. After all the little stories I have heard on here, I was concerned about just taking the PO at his word that they were actually 100hp injectors. So I had them taken to the only close injector shop in my area to have them pop tested and checked to confirm their size. The shop tested them all, all were great except one. One wasn't spraying at all. So I asked them about the hp rating. They told me that they did not do anything like that with aftermarket parts and only worked with stock injectors. I said, okay fine, can you just rebuild this one and I will put them in reguardless of their rating, at least they'll all match that way. They again said no, no aftermarket parts. So here is my delima

*I have 5 good injectors, but cannot confirm their hp rating.

*I can not justify in my mind buy 6 new injectors, when only one is bad.

*Nobody I call seems to be willing to rebuild injectors at all, much less just the one I am in need of.

*If I just take the PO at his word and buy 1 good 100hp injector, I risk mixing a 100hp with stock injectors. If I buy 1 stock ... well, yall get the idea.

Who does this kind of work? Is this something I can just do myself, at home, at my workbench. I hear swapping the nozzles isn't bad, how much worse can a complete rebuild be? Is there a way to confirm their rating by using the numbers stamped on the injectors themselves (diesel performance shops say that is what they would do and its possible, searching here says its not)?

Thanks all.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Your best option is get onto someone like dieselautopower and get a set of 100hp injectors and return your old ones as cores. By the time you've bought a set of nozzles and paid a shop to set the pop off pressures on the nozzles your near the price of a set of built injectors. Don't try mixing up injectors whatever you do because if you get it wrong you'll be buying another engine.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to irish power mad For This Useful Post:
Mopar1973Man (01-08-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

So I guess, I'm way confused about things. You're saying its cheaper for me to spend $420 on 6 new injectors, when I only need 1, then it is to have 1 injector rebuilt?

Am I missing something?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

No if you can find out the brand of injector it is and confirm thats it's 100hp then just rebuild it and that is cheap. However all the 100hp injector manufactures are different so just simply picking up a 100hp nozzle from anyone won't be good. I can't remember exactly what there called but I think it's something like a pin gauge which has tiny pins which will fit into a particular sized nozzle's injection hole's to tell you the size of the nozzle, in this case whether it is a 100 hp or not.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Okay, that's clearer.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Auto Power

iTrader Score: 21 reviews
We have pin gauges and may be able to get the last one to fire. Send us a PM if you want them rebuilt and matched.
Drop in turbos 63/68/.80 for under $1000 coming soon
www.DieselAutoPower.com--------Military Discounts Available-------- Dealer Accounts Welcome
Monday- Friday 8AM-5PM Call 801-618-2151
jkidd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

did you try pulling the injector down and cleaning it out with coleman fuel?

maybe its just clogged up?
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.