grid heater cycle? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
grid heater cycle?

just wondering how long the grid heater cycles.
when i start my truck in the cold, it turns on and warms the plenum and incoming air, then turns off to allow enough juice to start start the motor, then it cycles itself on and off while the truck idles and runs for a bit.

im wondering at what point the grid heater sees that the engine is warm enough and stops its cycling..... or does it?
from what i can tell, it seems to cycle for about 5 or 10 minutes once the truck is running. ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Yes the grid heaters will continue to cycle until the ECM reads a certain air temp in the intake. Unsure what it is tho. Moparman will tell us for sure. They will shut off at 15 MPH. Yes they will continue to cycle when the engine is running. Watch your amp gauge or turn your headlights on. They will DIM then go BRIGHT. As for the amp gauge the grid heaters will pull the gauge down while running from 14 volts down to around 9-10. Then shut off. Then recycle again until the proper intake air temp is reached and then they are shutoff. Either by the IAT or SPEED.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,043 Times in 2,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturbominivan View Post
just wondering how long the grid heater cycles.
when i start my truck in the cold, it turns on and warms the plenum and incoming air, then turns off to allow enough juice to start start the motor, then it cycles itself on and off while the truck idles and runs for a bit.

im wondering at what point the grid heater sees that the engine is warm enough and stops its cycling..... or does it?
from what i can tell, it seems to cycle for about 5 or 10 minutes once the truck is running. ???
Based on time or vehicle speed.

I think its like 3 minutes of idle time then it cancels. Or its reaching 20 MPH and cancels.

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gyropilot

Read THIS THREAD for information on intake air heater cycles.

John L.

Sent from an iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

Gone (but not forgotten): 2001 Dodge 2500 Laramie SLT 4x2 QC LB, Goerend 47RE, 4.10 axle

Retired and RV'ing full-time in a 2007 Arctic Fox 25R travel trailer
JLandry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

thanks guys. just wondering because i got so sick of never having good heat in my truck with these canadian winters that i bought a 1500w inverter and wired it in so i can plug in a 900w-1500w portable space heater next to me! hahahahah!
i just wanted to know when the grid heater finishes its thing so im not bogging down the battery with 2 heavy draws at once.

thanks guys!

Last edited by theturbominivan; 01-01-2013 at 06:19 PM.
theturbominivan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
thanks guys. just wondering because i got so sick of never having good heat in my truck with these canadian winters that i bought a 1500w inverter and wired it in so i can plug in a 900w-1500w portable space heater next to me! hahahahah!
i just wanted to know when the grid heater finishes its thing so im not bogging down the battery with 2 heavy draws at once.

thanks guys!
Be careful...

1500w = 12 Volts x 125 Amps

900w = 12 Volts x 75 Amps

Why not fix your failed thermostat and gain some block heat. Or even install a 6.7L Cummins 200*F thermostat for the winter time. Yes. It should fit.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i did a new thermostat and all that. its COLD up here. im sick of waiting 25 minutes for my block to be warm enough to even begin to get some heat, and then have a crappy heater fan on top of that.
i wont need to be using the 1500w setting. its only a truck cab.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
i did a new thermostat and all that. its COLD up here. im sick of waiting 25 minutes for my block to be warm enough to even begin to get some heat, and then have a crappy heater fan on top of that.
i wont need to be using the 1500w setting. its only a truck cab.
Huh? I can drive 5-10 minutes and be fully warmed up. 25 minutes? What are you doing idling waiting for the engine to warm up before driving? I just jump in and go and the heat coming with in a few miles. Even with my high idle mod I can be fully warmed up from sub zero weather in about 10 minutes.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i WISH mine did that. ever since i bought the truck it takes forever to warm up. ill start it and let it idle on a cold morning for about 10min. on a colder morning it will high idle, but even then, as i drive, it takes forever to get to temperature in any kind of cold, even down the highway. i even have a piece of cardboard over the rad on colder mornings and its the same thing.
after changing the thermostat and rad cap a few weeks ago things got a bit better (temps more stable) but its still slow to warm up, and especially blow heat in the cab.
clogged heater core maybe?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
i WISH mine did that. ever since i bought the truck it takes forever to warm up. ill start it and let it idle on a cold morning for about 10min. on a colder morning it will high idle, but even then, as i drive, it takes forever to get to temperature in any kind of cold, even down the highway. i even have a piece of cardboard over the rad on colder mornings and its the same thing.
after changing the thermostat and rad cap a few weeks ago things got a bit better (temps more stable) but its still slow to warm up, and especially blow heat in the cab.
clogged heater core maybe?
All right here...
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - High Idle Modification

And the TSB
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - TSB 18-019-01 - Cold Idle Engine Warming

As for HVAC and heat cores
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Air Conditioning Evaporator Core / Heater Core Replacement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

sweet thanks! ill need those references now..... i decided the inverter and heater might be a real bad idea and took them back. hahahaha! it took me one day to decide that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.