More runaway diesel engines - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
More runaway diesel engines

Gas engines generally wont runaway because they have throttle plates or something like that to control the airflow. No air flow...no combustion. Diesels generally do not have throttle plates so just closing them to stop a runaway probably isn't going to happen.

Diesel engines runaway for 2 reasons. Either the fuel control is stuck at full flow OR the engine is drawing fuel from another source. The real scary runaway engines were the old Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines. They were fed by a nice big super charger and the injector flow control (the rack) was tempermental when it was adjusted. If the "rack" was stuck in the full flow position the only limiting factor to engine speed was the amount of air delivered to it...oh wait...it has a supercharger... When one of these ran away you had a couple of seconds to catch it or else. Our SOP was to always have a pair of vice grips and a bungie cord on the rack to hold it at idle on start up.

A cummins doesnt have a rack to stick. The chances of all the mechanical and electrical stars aligning to cause a runaway from fuel are very very slim.
In practicality the only way a cummins could runaway is from an external fule supply like oil in the pressure side of the turbo.

I have have seen runaways from blown turbo seals or turbo seal oil leaks BUT usually they are more of a no stop condition instead of a runaway. The amount of fuel (motor oil) that can be mixed with the pressurized air is limited,the air fuel mixture is far from precise, and the ignition timing is way off.

Bottom line is don't panic. Unless you are parked next to a leaking gas well, in which case you should run very fast, just stop the air flow any way you can. I contend that breaking the boost line somewher between the pressure side of the turbo and the intake will kill the motor because this will disrupt to fuel(motor oil) and air mixture from being sucked into the intake.

This is a runaway!!!
Mopar1973Man (12-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,415 Posts
Wonderful video to learn from.

Quote:
I contend that breaking the boost line somewher between the pressure side of the turbo and the intake will kill the motor because this will disrupt to fuel(motor oil) and air mixture from being sucked into the intake.
Pocket knife and cut the boot open.

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 12-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I was watching that clip a few days ago and I can't believe that engine held together. I was expecting a big bang to happen.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Those old detroits sound like they're spinning alot more rpm than they actually are... I love how that kid sh!t his britches and the old man just nonchalantly walks over and chokes it out with a 2x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
Twistedcummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedcummins View Post
I love how that kid sh!t his britches and the old man just nonchalantly walks over and chokes it out with a 2x4
I noticed that too! The look on his face was priceless haha. The old timer just calmly walks over, picks up the board that was there the whole time, and puts it over the intake.

1996 Ram 3500 cab & chassis, 12 valve, NV4500, 4.10, flatbed, single cab, all stock
mthomp1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Campare this "runaway" to the Detroit above. Look how crappy it's running. Not screaming like a Detroit with a stuck rack.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Working on old boats for a living, we always had a board to staunch the flow of air in the DD's. Yeah, we learned the hard way. It was a glorious lesson, though !!!
Ed
Old 12-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
btk
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
That kid with that ol' Jimmy thought it sucked the rag down the intake, but it clearly didn't. I bet it blew out a lot of old carbon though.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.