cold starting - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
here is a video of my truck starting after sitting over night. its about 1PM here in the video.
is this normal?
99 QC,LB. full billet trans, fass 150, iquad, 6 gauges, 8KW stereo, 37" toyo M/T, blue drive line, 407Lbs grill guard, DAP VP44, Thuren coils, Thuren king shocks, DoR control arms, DoR track bar, 12K lbs winch, retro solutions HID. Redhead gear box
NCC74656 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC74656 View Post
here is a video of my truck starting after sitting over night. its about 1PM here in the video. Cold start 2500 - YouTube is this normal?
Batteries are dead. Time for replacement. During your cranking it should never fall below 10.5 Volts and the computers are wigging out because voltage is falling well below 8 volts. So its not normal.

So replace both batteries...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i just spent 500.00 on these 2 batteries 3 weeks ago. i think ill go back to the store i got them from
99 QC,LB. full billet trans, fass 150, iquad, 6 gauges, 8KW stereo, 37" toyo M/T, blue drive line, 407Lbs grill guard, DAP VP44, Thuren coils, Thuren king shocks, DoR control arms, DoR track bar, 12K lbs winch, retro solutions HID. Redhead gear box
NCC74656 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,215 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Be aware since I do not have a IAT sensor any longer that grid heaters are still coming on with post heat after starting regardless of IAT and ECT. The only way I can see the ECM seeing temps is through the Battery Temp sensor on the PCM and sent down the CCD Network for the ECM to use. My IAT is locked to 143*F and regardless of ECT showing 193-197*F the grid heaters will cycle till time out or till ~20 MPH...
Ya know, I was thinking about that as I posted, but I thought I'd wait to see what you had to say..... With that said, maybe the reasons the grids continue to cycle upon starting even though the engine is at full operating temp is because of just a simple ECM timer.

I've mentioned this before but there used to be a fellow by the name of Harvey or Harold who used to make and sell various electronic gadgets for these trucks through the forums and one of them was a "grid heater saver". I dont know how it tied in or what it overrode but its purpose was to stop that annoying grid heater cycle when the engine is warm. To bad no one has one from him, otherwise we could duplicate what he did.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's

Last edited by KATOOM; 12-24-2012 at 02:10 AM.
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gyropilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
...maybe the reasons the grids continue to cycle upon starting even though the engine is at full operating temp is because of just a simple ECM timer.
Prior to cranking the engine the ECM uses the IAT sensor only to determine if the intake air heaters should be activated during the preheat phase. Once the engine is running (the postheat phase), the ECM uses both the IAT sensor input AND the fuel temperature signal originating from the VP44 to control the air intake heaters.

This explains why the intake air heaters sometimes continue to operate after starting the engine even with an elevated intake air temperature.

Ref: Pages 124-126, Chrysler Training Pub 8169997178, Cummins Electronic Fuel Injection

John L.

Sent from an iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD!

Gone (but not forgotten): 2001 Dodge 2500 Laramie SLT 4x2 QC LB, Goerend 47RE, 4.10 axle

Retired and RV'ing full-time in a 2007 Arctic Fox 25R travel trailer
JLandry is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLandry View Post
Prior to cranking the engine the ECM uses the IAT sensor only to determine if the intake air heaters should be activated during the preheat phase. Once the engine is running (the postheat phase), the ECM uses both the IAT sensor input AND the fuel temperature signal originating from the VP44 to control the air intake heaters.

This explains why the intake air heaters sometimes continue to operate after starting the engine even with an elevated intake air temperature.

Ref: Pages 124-126, Chrysler Training Pub 8169997178, Cummins Electronic Fuel Injection

John L.

Sent from an iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD!
Sounds logical.....but goes against why Moparman still gets post heat cycles given that his IAT is not connected. I've tried to search out my service manual too but haven't found anything yet. I'm still leaning toward a simple post heat ECM timer as long as the ECM reads 60* or less outside.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
Old 12-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gyropilot

Quote:
Sounds logical.....but goes against why Moparman still gets post heat cycles given that his IAT is not connected.
Not really.

If the fuel temperature is cool enough, that's likely what's triggering the post heat phase.

Also worth noting...

The Chrysler training publication I referenced earlier has detailed charts showing the temperatures at which the intake air heaters energize and their duty cycles. The chart for the post heat phase lists not only the IAT and fuel temperature as inputs, but also the battery temp sensor as well. However, nowhere in the explanatory text of this training publication, or the factory service manual, does it mention the battery temp sensor has anything to do with the intake heater system, so I suspect that could be a mistake in the chart... but you never know.

John L.

Sent from an iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

Gone (but not forgotten): 2001 Dodge 2500 Laramie SLT 4x2 QC LB, Goerend 47RE, 4.10 axle

Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC74656 View Post
i just spent 500.00 on these 2 batteries 3 weeks ago. i think ill go back to the store i got them from
Definitely take them back! Mine was just like that at the start of this winter.. replaced them both, and now it cranks over pretty fast even lately when it's been ~ -25C here in Calgary in the mornings..
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Not really.

If the fuel temperature is cool enough, that's likely what's triggering the post heat phase.

Also worth noting...

The Chrysler training publication I referenced earlier has detailed charts showing the temperatures at which the intake air heaters energize and their duty cycles. The chart for the post heat phase lists not only the IAT and fuel temperature as inputs, but also the battery temp sensor as well. However, nowhere in the explanatory text of this training publication, or the factory service manual, does it mention the battery temp sensor has anything to do with the intake heater system, so I suspect that could be a mistake in the chart... but you never know.

John L.
I'm hearing you but knowing that when the overhead display is reading 60* or less, when I'm driving around and the truck is fully warmed, I can turn the engine off and immediately restart and the grid heaters will recycle post heat for a period of time or until I get going again and reach the triggered 17-18 mph. That tells me that it cant be fuel temp since the VP is definitely not cold. Battery temp sensor?.....maybe.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
Gyropilot

Quote:
That tells me that it cant be fuel temp since the VP is definitely not cold.
The VP44's overall temperature and the temperature of the fuel entering it are two different things. The VP44 measures fuel temperature as the fuel enters, not after it's absorbed heat and is exiting. In other words, the fuel temperature the VP44 sees is pretty much the temperature of the fuel in the tank.

I have a Chrysler DRBIII scan tool which displays fuel temperature as reported by the VP44 and I've verified this. The reported fuel temperature gradually increases as heated fuel is returned to the tank. This process is aided by the decreasing amount of fuel in the tank.

Best regards,

John L.

Sent from an iPhone 5 using Tapatalk!

Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,027 Times in 2,347 Posts
Got you all thinkin'

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
The VP44's overall temperature and the temperature of the fuel entering it are two different things. The VP44 measures fuel temperature as the fuel enters, not after it's absorbed heat and is exiting. In other words, the fuel temperature the VP44 sees is pretty much the temperature of the fuel in the tank.

I have a Chrysler DRBIII scan tool which displays fuel temperature as reported by the VP44 and I've verified this. The reported fuel temperature gradually increases as heated fuel is returned to the tank. This process is aided by the decreasing amount of fuel in the tank.

Best regards,

John L.
But what about the OEM fuel filter housing with a fuel heater, which if I remember correctly, is activated when the fuel when fuel temps are below 70*?

Again, I hear ya but I'm not feeling this is the true variable for why the grids post cycle. I live where we dont have to deal with sub zero temps and I can testify that when the ambient temps are at 60* or barely under 60* outside then the grids will still post cycle upon start up. Obviously its not cold outside to justify the need for the grids, nor can fuel be very cold either since it doesn't matter if I've been driving all day or just a quick trip to the store.

As I mentioned before, it sure would be nice to know what the Harold/Harvey guy did to create his grid heater saver. Clearly within his design, he didn't override the IAT because otherwise Moparman's grids wouldn't cycle then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
Got you all thinkin'
Yes, yes you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.