Engine knock. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Engine knock.

I recently got a engine knock. Is there any oil additive I can use to help thicken and help reduce the sound. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i doubt that the knock is caused by worn oil.

the timing is controlled by the IP, and pop pressure. if you developed an engine knock its usually one of those two issues.

i would pop and flow test your injectors first then go from there.

raising the viscosity of the oil, you can't 15w-40 is the normal, unless you want to go for regular 30w, but then you will loose the operating temp viscosity.

i would run the truck and use a stescope to find where this knock is coming from, and then go from there.

be forewarned that these engines are nortious for having their 1st cylinder to be off a bit just enough to cause it when its cold on my trucks anyways.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

What kind of knock. Fuel, rod, tick, slight knock, big knock....
07.5 QC/SB, 6.7, SB3250, G56 <delvac 50w> 4X4< nv271, 5inch SS silverline tbe, sinister egr delete, airaid intake, SJ67 on#1, ccv,gutted/rerouted ...smoke switch... 2009 VW jetta TDI 6speed manual. 96 ECLB 12valve auto/ats comander
garagepeople is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Its not from worn oil since it might have 100 miles on the new oil. But it's a bad rod bearing. Just trying to quite it down to trade it off.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumm02 View Post
Its not from worn oil since it might have 100 miles on the new oil. But it's a bad rod bearing. Just trying to quite it down to trade it off.
There's a couple of ways to quiet a worn engine but I'm not going to divulge how.I got burnt before buying what appeared to be a good second hand car and at the normal value for it at the time only to discover a hundred or so miles later the crankshaft was toast.As far as I'm concerned, man up and tell any prospective buyer about the engine issue.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to irish power mad For This Useful Post:
bcbifoot (12-13-2012), frydaddy (10-25-2012), Kraft01'3500 (12-11-2012), lilbrownCTD (12-10-2012), onefastvw (10-25-2012), Ramitt (12-12-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish power mad View Post
There's a couple of ways to quiet a worn engine but I'm not going to divulge how.I got burnt before buying what appeared to be a good second hand car and at the normal value for it at the time only to discover a hundred or so miles later the crankshaft was toast.As far as I'm concerned, man up and tell any prospective buyer about the engine issue.
That's fine if you don't want to... But thanks for ur input
Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm beginning to question if it is a rod bearing. Because i just went out to see if it would start after a week of sitting and the knock didn't come on till 20-30 seconds. Maybe it could be oil pressure related? But my oil pressure is about 40psi.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
be forewarned that these engines are nortious for having their 1st cylinder to be off a bit just enough to cause it when its cold on my trucks anyways.
I found my 01 HO has a knock/tick when its cold. You can hear it well when you 1st fire it up. Does about 2-3 notable ones then calms down a bit. I noticed untill you get up to 190F in between shifts you will hear it tap/knock when the revs drop to about 1200 rpm. Thats the most noticeable rpm. Does not get worse with rpm. When i crack the #1 injector it quiets down and when you first sinch the injector tight it wil tap fairly loud a couple times when you retighten. THen quites down to a dull tick/tock. Hard to describe but its not a heavy knock. Kind of sounds like a worn lift pump lobe on a 12v.

The previous ovwner had it checked out at dodge and they said it wasin the programming ?

When you say 1st is off do you mean the IP timing ? is this a computer thing or pump releated ?

My truck had a new vp,injecotrs,lift pump. He said the noise was there before he changed any of the fuel system.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparguy55 View Post
I found my 01 HO has a knock/tick when its cold. You can hear it well when you 1st fire it up. Does about 2-3 notable ones then calms down a bit. I noticed untill you get up to 190F in between shifts you will hear it tap/knock when the revs drop to about 1200 rpm. Thats the most noticeable rpm. Does not get worse with rpm. When i crack the #1 injector it quiets down and when you first sinch the injector tight it wil tap fairly loud a couple times when you retighten. THen quites down to a dull tick/tock. Hard to describe but its not a heavy knock. Kind of sounds like a worn lift pump lobe on a 12v.

The previous ovwner had it checked out at dodge and they said it wasin the programming ?

When you say 1st is off do you mean the IP timing ? is this a computer thing or pump releated ?

My truck had a new vp,injecotrs,lift pump. He said the noise was there before he changed any of the fuel system.
it is most likely i think just the design, when fully warmed up and the serpentine belt missing you can use a laser gun to shoot the exhaust manifold and see which one runs cooler then the others and that is the one, it is 9/10 either cylinder 1 or 5.

My truck its cylinder 5, it runs about 50- cooler then the others usually.

From what i have gathered it is completely normal, and for all we know it could be there to cause some load on the motor to allow it to warm up when its cold out.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to pepsi71ocean For This Useful Post:
moparguy55 (12-12-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Check out your flexplate. Mine has a nice knock in the bottom of the motor. After further inspection it comes out of the bellhousing. You'll find some aluminum shavings in there and with the inspection cover off it will get louder. I also had an oil analysis done and they said no way it was bad bearings. I haven't had time to change it out yet but ill post pics of it when I do.
04 CC SB 4x4 auto banks tecni cooler pack SOLD
95 EXC SB 12v 5x.011 4x4 auto revmax converter TFOD shift kit SOLD
DADS TRUCK 2000 F350 CC Dually 4x4 auto 7.3PSD
99redgtp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi71ocean View Post
it is most likely i think just the design, when fully warmed up and the serpentine belt missing you can use a laser gun to shoot the exhaust manifold and see which one runs cooler then the others and that is the one, it is 9/10 either cylinder 1 or 5.

My truck its cylinder 5, it runs about 50- cooler then the others usually.

From what i have gathered it is completely normal, and for all we know it could be there to cause some load on the motor to allow it to warm up when its cold out.
Thanks for the info
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.