Prime a fuel filter after a change - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Prime a fuel filter after a change

So........... I just changed my fuel filter and did not relize the the fuel pump would not "prime" the fuel filter housing by just cycling the ignition/key on and off multiple times (as you might do on a gas rig to prime with the tank fuel pump) SO.............. I tried starting it (only once) and drained the line from the filter housting to the manifold. She fired and then died.

NOW...... should I fill the fuel filter housing (correctly by filling it with fuel), then fill the line from the manifold by pouring fuel in it, then reconnect it to the filter housing. THEN try and start it again??????????????

Your help (if you have been in this situation) would be greatly appreciated.

1ton of Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
You could bump your starter a few times, this will give you a "free" 25ish second run of the lift pump, that will fill the low side of the fuel system but you will need to manually bleed the high side of the fuel system by cracking a few injector lines.
1ton of Cummins (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrownCTD View Post
you will need to manually bleed the high side of the fuel system by cracking a few injector lines.
To manully blead, jus pull them off, fill them up with fuel and install?????
1ton of Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,184 Times in 922 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ton of Cummins View Post
To manully blead, jus pull them off, fill them up with fuel and install?????
No no... It will require 2 people one to turn the truck over and the other to crack the injector. While one is turning the truck over the other will loosen the injector line that goes into the head with a 19mm wrench to let the air bubbles leak out and when you see fuel tighten it back up. I usually do it on 1 2 and 4 and by then it fires make sure you tighten them back up real tight or you will leak fuel out of them.
(Built by The Pit Stop) 2001 QCSB 4x4 35" Pro comps TWINS superB over S475 with CPP 7X12 SACs with lift Quad 4K Phantom2 guages AIRDOG 150(THE GOOD FITTINGS NOT THE CRAP ONES) Valair 800hp ceramic DD billet input shaft Hamilton push rods and Hamilton springs Stainless diesel twin kit (fits perfectly!!) stainless diesel adjustable waste gate And thanks to Optima 2 Brand spanking new Red tops as a truck warming gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon16 View Post
Im not gonna be a Bachleor silly, Im gonna marry you!!
Quote:
"Im Forever yoouuurrrsss, Faithfully.........Nick"
mountianman69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mountianman69 For This Useful Post:
1ton of Cummins (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,184 Times in 922 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Also be very careful as to not have any finger clothing or anything in the way of moving parts or you will loose them... Safety first not worth it of you loose a finger... My buddy messed up and was wearing a hoodie and the neck string got caught in the fan hit his head on the valve cover but was strong enough to keep his head out of the fan and ripped the string a nice gash on the forehead though... Just be careful.
(Built by The Pit Stop) 2001 QCSB 4x4 35" Pro comps TWINS superB over S475 with CPP 7X12 SACs with lift Quad 4K Phantom2 guages AIRDOG 150(THE GOOD FITTINGS NOT THE CRAP ONES) Valair 800hp ceramic DD billet input shaft Hamilton push rods and Hamilton springs Stainless diesel twin kit (fits perfectly!!) stainless diesel adjustable waste gate And thanks to Optima 2 Brand spanking new Red tops as a truck warming gift!
Quote:
Im not gonna be a Bachleor silly, Im gonna marry you!!
Quote:
"Im Forever yoouuurrrsss, Faithfully.........Nick"
mountianman69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mountianman69 For This Useful Post:
pmccue (03-19-2013)
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Not to completely disagree, but I've never had to manually bleed the injectors after changing the fuel filter and/or draining the housing. It does take a while but it's always started.

I bump the ignition a couple times to fill the housing and then crank it. I never just sit there and crank it though, crank it some, then off, then crank it some, and it always starts. What works for me may not work for you of course.
'01 Quadcab 4x2 dually, 6 speed w/ BD short shift kit, HO, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" lines to VP44, 90 HP DAP injectors, Tunnel ram intake, Edge EZ, 4" MBRP stainless turbo back, 8' bed with Line-X, B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. TV for Fuzion 383.
KCMODiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I did the same thing with mine, and the lift pump would not fill the filter. I had to take filter off again and fill with fuel, then cycle pump with line to VP44 loosened till I got fuel there then it started. Don't mean to hijack thread (sorry) but it seems like my fuel/lift pump is weak ?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Rob View Post
I did the same thing with mine, and the lift pump would not fill the filter. I had to take filter off again and fill with fuel, then cycle pump with line to VP44 loosened till I got fuel there then it started. Don't mean to hijack thread (sorry) but it seems like my fuel/lift pump is weak ?
Very much so. The same thing happened before I installed my Raptor lift pump. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge, get one!! When I installed a fuel pressure gauge, I discovered I had no fuel pressure! The VP44 was doing all the heavy lifting. Not a good thing for the injector pump.

With my Raptor 100 one bump of the starter will fill the filter housing.
'01 Quadcab 4x2 dually, 6 speed w/ BD short shift kit, HO, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" lines to VP44, 90 HP DAP injectors, Tunnel ram intake, Edge EZ, 4" MBRP stainless turbo back, 8' bed with Line-X, B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. TV for Fuzion 383.

Last edited by KCMODiesel; 10-21-2012 at 12:27 PM.
KCMODiesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to KCMODiesel For This Useful Post:
Newfoundland Rob (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMODiesel View Post
Not to completely disagree, but I've never had to manually bleed the injectors after changing the fuel filter and/or draining the housing. It does take a while but it's always started.

I bump the ignition a couple times to fill the housing and then crank it. I never just sit there and crank it though, crank it some, then off, then crank it some, and it always starts. What works for me may not work for you of course.
This is all I've ever done too. I've never had to fiddle with an injector line because of changing a fuel filter.
And OP, by bump the ignition means turn the key on/off momentarily to turn the starter over but not start the truck, just in case there's confusion about what "bump" means.
2000 Ram 2500 24v SLT Laramie 4x4 automatic - 475,000kms 300,000 miles, Superchips programmer, BHAFilter, APPS noise isolator, Magna flow exhaust, Isspro EV2 fuel pres/boost/pyro gauges, Raptor 100/DSV lift pump with 1/2" lines.
Norton is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Here's a quick video of the "shadetree mechanic" method of priming the fuel system, also does a decent job of explaining why it's necessary on a VP44 rig. I've used this method, and though it's not exactly what the FSM calls for, it's quick and easy.
PS, excuse the lengthiness of the clip and the cameraman's accent. lol
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

To change the fuel filter,
Place a catch pan under the filter housing drain line.
Open filter housing drain.
Loosen filter top and remove filter & o-ring.
Wipe out any junk, if any, at the bottom of the filter housing then close drain.
With a container of clean fuel, I fill filter housing 3/4 full.
Install new filter & o-ring and install top.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.
Start engine and test ride.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. 8x.010 VCO's, 62-65-.70A/R adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs 496.4hp/1082tq Take time to turn-so you don't burn

Last edited by Clunk; 10-21-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Clunk is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Glad I read this before trying to change my fuel filter on a day I have to get to work later!
Now I have a couple questions: First - Ive read several times that we should not manually put fuel into the housing when changing the filter due to the chance of introducing contaminants into the system. I guess if I'm super careful and use a clean container to put the fresh fuel in I can avoid contaminating it. SO should I put fuel in there or not?
Second - on my 2012 the truck automatically cranks the starter when you release the key, so you cant really "bump" the starter the way I'm used to. How can I get the lift pump to run without the starter or engine turning over? Should I let the starter engage momentarily and then turn the key off, or will the pump only run if the key is in the "run" position?
I was hoping this would be a 30 minute job but I don't want to disable the truck and have it turn into a big flail.
Thanks
bbccoupe (04-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.