Oil Leak from left side of engine - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
The pump noise is normal.

Only thing I would add is if youhave removed your OEM lift pump do not mess withthe gasket that is behind the mounting bracket. I did and the first time I put it together it didn't seal right. Ticked me off.
I have an AD 165, I removed all of the old fuel system. The old filter housing is gone, along with the mounting bracket and old lift pump. I used the shorter bold from the lift pump bracket to replace the longer bolts on the intake to seal it back up. the spot on the block where the old lift pump mounted it a flat surface with 2 bolt holes in it. I dont know of anything that could leak? maybe I am missing somehting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfulton2389 View Post
Sound like you're on the right track man. I just did my tappet cover a few months ago, along with resealing the vacuum pump. It's not very intimidating once ya get in there. Hope it all goes back together for ya, good luck!

Sent from my SCH-M828C using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Thanks man. I looked at my vacuum pump and it doesnt look to be leaking.. I have the P0216, so I will be back in there sooner than later so if its leaking Ill get it then.

Btw- mfulton2389, I like your avatar. "dang dat is sweet earth you might say.. WRONG!" HAHAHAHA I love that video!

Last edited by FiveNine; 10-18-2012 at 11:35 AM.
FiveNine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I hear ya...yeah mine want leaking nearly as much as I thought it was but once I got in there to replace the tappet cover gasket I figured I might as well reseal it, heck it only takes 20min.

-SHIZ! Fire le missiles!
...but I'm le tired.

Hahaha!

01 3500 drw qc 5spd 4x4, 5" straight, Raptor 150, afe stage 1, Isspro fuel, pyro, boost. TST Comp/Smarty w/Revo, DAP 7X10'S, Super B, Valair DD. "Don't call what you're wearing an outfit, don't ever say your car is broke" DBT
mfulton2389 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Well I feel like a dumb @$$..... I found my oil leak, the tappet cover was leaking, but just enought to cause everything to look wet. My real leak was coming from the lift pump black off plate.. or lack there of..

When I put my airdog on I removed everything from my old fuel system, even the bracket that held the old lift pump. Well, then I didnt know that there was a hole back there, why would there be? The gasket came off the lift pump bracket clean, not a spec of gasket was left on it. The gasket was left on the hole, covering it, and sealing it about 80%. at a glance, I thought it was part of the block and kept going with the lift pump swap. After reading a post above about that bracket having a gasket, i thought I should look and see what I was missing. Well when I put my hand on the "block" the gasket pealed back and my jaw bounced off the finder....

This is what I saw: Sorry about the blurry pics, My phone lens had oil on it..

with gasket

w/o

Lucky for me, I still had the lift pump and bracket. I cut the bracket down and put it back on with a health helping of high temp RTV.

Since I am already down there, and have everyting torn down, I will replace the tappet seal...

other random pics.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfulton2389 View Post
-SHIZ! Fire le missiles!
...but I'm le tired.

Hahaha!
well then take a nap.......

THEN FIRE LE MISSILES!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I was wondering about that when you said you just removed the old bracket haha! Gotta love it when it's something simple...and nothing gets hurt

01 3500 drw qc 5spd 4x4, 5" straight, Raptor 150, afe stage 1, Isspro fuel, pyro, boost. TST Comp/Smarty w/Revo, DAP 7X10'S, Super B, Valair DD. "Don't call what you're wearing an outfit, don't ever say your car is broke" DBT
mfulton2389 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

My truck all of a sudden started spewing oil when I got home today. Best I can tell, it's the cover on the side of the motor. Is this tappet cover also referred to as the engine side cover?

I can tell it's on the left side of the motor, but it's pretty hard to tell from where exactly.

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
My truck all of a sudden started spewing oil when I got home today. Best I can tell, it's the cover on the side of the motor. Is this tappet cover also referred to as the engine side cover?

I can tell it's on the left side of the motor, but it's pretty hard to tell from where exactly.

Thanks,
Tommy
Yes, the tappet cover, push rod cover and engine side cover are all the same part. It just depends on where you are looking as to what they are called.

I crawled all under, over and even tried going threw over the tire and under the finder with a light trying to see where my leak was coming from. The gasket is cheap, but I dont see how you could ever get the front cover bolt out with the IP in the way. Removing the injection pump is really not bad. I took mine out and swapped injectors in less than 4 hours. There are plenty of videos out there on youtube, and Mopar1973man.com. I was a pro even before I turned the 1st wrench.
Tommy R (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

My engine has been spitting oil out of that same area as well, at first I thought is was my rear main but I have been doing some more looking and investigating and have realized it is coming out the left side of the block. So it looks like ill be tearing er down and replacing that seal as well. Where is the best place to find that seal? And what else should I be replacing in my adventure?

Mick
MoparDave68 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparDave68 View Post
My engine has been spitting oil out of that same area as well, at first I thought is was my rear main but I have been doing some more looking and investigating and have realized it is coming out the left side of the block. So it looks like ill be tearing er down and replacing that seal as well. Where is the best place to find that seal? And what else should I be replacing in my adventure?

Mick
The vacuum/power steering pump is right under the ip, so if yours is leaking this would be the time do it wile the up is out of the way. Other than that, I don't know of any other seals. There is one behind the stock lift pump bracket but I used RTV on that.

I bought my taller cover gasket from AutoZone. It came with the little round gaskets for the bolts. It was pretty cheap.
MoparDave68 (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks FiveNine! I will look into the power steering/Vacuum pump also. Hopefully this will take care of my oil leaking issue. Is this Tappet cover a common thing to leak on the Cummins??
Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparDave68 View Post
Thanks FiveNine! I will look into the power steering/Vacuum pump also. Hopefully this will take care of my oil leaking issue. Is this Tappet cover a common thing to leak on the Cummins??
Mine was not really leaking, it was seeping though. Once i got everything was torn down I found my real leak. I had taken the stock lift pump bracket off and the gasket had stayed on the block.

the tappet cover gasket does not need rtv.

Last edited by FiveNine; 12-22-2012 at 04:57 PM.
FiveNine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

I went to Auto Zone today and asked about this gasket. The part number they came up with is PS50397R, is that the same P/N you found there? They had no idea what I was talking about so I wanna make sure this is the right part before I buy it.
I still have that bracket on, My truck is basically stock. But I will pull that off and clean it and RTV it just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.