01 Fuel knock on start up - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: -1 reviews
01 knock on start up

I picked up my new to me 01 today. I noticed warm or cold after the truck sits for 5 mins or so when you first fire it up it knocks about 2-3 times. The VP and injectors were replaced 60k miles ago. Guy changed it himself and didn't sound to confident on setting it up. Can a VP be out of time ?

Secondly i noticed it was wet around a few of the injectors. I'm wondering if the pressure bleeds off enough and this is causing the knock ?

I didn't notice any white smoke on start up and it fires instant without waiting for the grid heaters.

What do you all think ?

Last edited by moparguy55; 10-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.
moparguy55 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Truck is bone stock and a 6 speed. Pump and injectors are rebuilt stock. Got a receipt the guy paid $1000 for stock injectors and a $600 core charge:O

So I put 60 miles on it today. I dunno if its just me now, but it sounds like the knock is always present but nowhere near as pronounced as when it first fires up. If you accelerate fairly quick while its building boost you don't hear it. Let off and you hear it more in the 1000-1300rpm range on deceleration. Or if you slowly ease into it. Seemed like it was more noticeable on the 1st start up of the day.

If it sits for say 5 minutes when it fires up you will hear 3-4 knocks then it lets up.

Sure sounds like its coming from the top end. Checked the dipstick and no smell of diesel in the crankcase. Only smoke from the tailpipe was when i brought it up to 2000rpm in 3rd and then floored it going up a hill. blew out a little cloud. It was raining and dark outside today, but it wasn't coal black smoke. Never hesitates or misfires.

Oil pressure seems fine.

Can a fire knock only be caused by an injector or can the pump cause this too ?

Here is a video of the knock

Last edited by moparguy55; 10-01-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well you never want diesel comin out of your lines, if it's wet at the block double check it's all six lines are tight, it's a 3/4 or 19mm, if it's tight the o ring may be junk and need to be replaced, my .02, also try turning up your radio and just driving it a bit and try to pay no attention to any noises, I swear the sec you think you hear one odd rattle you start hearing over listening and your hear stuff that isn't even there lol
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
Cetane level might be too high. If your using any fuel additives STOP! Clear the tank and run straight diesel or clear the tank and switch to 2 cycle oil which will reduce the cetane.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I talked to the owner today and he said it had the knock before the pump/injectors were changed. Been running like this for 60k miles has not gotten better/worse. The dodge dealership told him it was in the computer programming.....??

The truck was accidented back in 07 and wrote off. (rollover according to the history check)

Now this has got me wondering if its a wrist pin/rod ect that originated from the roll over.

I hear ya on thinking you hear things when you try hard, but this definately has a distict knock when you first start it. If you shut it off and immediatly start it back up no knock.

There is some oil from the blowbye tube on the front of the engine. Didn't see any smoke comming out the tube. I noticed some oil around the oil fill cap, but i have taken the cap off while its running and it won't flutter the cap and don't feel any big amounts of air comming out. The guy said he changed the cover gasket on the side of the block. I read in another thread a guy with a scored #6 blew out that seal.

If it was from the lower end should it not get louder with rpm/load ? And why so pronounced on start up lacking oil somewhere ?

Fired up my 12v and not even remotley close noise from it.

I got some lucas injector cleaner, and no i didn't run any snake oil in the fuel tank. I have not put the lucas stuff in. I'll try some 2 cycle oil to see if it helps.

Last edited by moparguy55; 10-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Take a video and post it to youtube...
2001, QCSB, 4" MBRP, 51" Donaldson, Edge Comp, FASS 3rd gen brakes, 3rd gen steering, Borgeson box & shaft & pump, superpro bushings, Blue Chip VP44 (awesome), Revmax fully built transmission (horrid experience)
ncsucarjock88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Here it is. 1st start after 24 hours.

http://youtu.be/NiZHvc-_KN4

Last edited by moparguy55; 10-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

bump to top
Old 10-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

No-one said anything about the valves or more specifically the clearances.In my experience a top end knock is usually either a leaking injector nozzle or a bad or damaged valve.If it is a top end problem the easiest way to track it down is loosen off one high pressure injector line at a time and listen for the knock to stop.That at least will tell you where to start the diagnosis.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I'm going to borrow a temp gun and see what that reads at the exhaust manifold/head on a cold start up. Seller said he adjusted the valves. He was actually a marine mechanic and seemed fairly knowledgeable on the cummins motors.
Seems odd though that it had the knock apparently before the new Vp and injectors. You would have thought a new VP/complete injector and lift pump would have cured it if it was fuel. Says the dealership said it was casused by the compter programming...... never heard that one before.

Is the ecm programming different from a SO to HO engine ? Say it had a SO pump on a HO engine would there be any timing issues with stock programming ?

Last edited by moparguy55; 10-02-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

I'm open to correction here but I think the SO pump will work on a HO truck ok but a HO will not work on a SO truck.Hope this helps answer your question.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Ok i drove it to work today and when i got home i opened the hood and noticed the injector on the front cylinder is the only one that was moist. The more i listened to it the more it sounds like its the front cylinder. I listened underneath back by the flywheel and by the front tire. Noise really sounds more like from the top.

So i cracked the front injector open. It quieted down the motor some. (Mind you at full temp you don't really hear but a faint knock) BUT when i tightened the injector back up there was about 3 distinct knocks then went away. Tried this a few times and everytime the injector starts to tighten up 3-4 knocks. Like a high pitched tink tink tink. Tried a couple other injectors and none of them did this.

Hmm
The Following User Says Thank You to moparguy55 For This Useful Post:
durajunk (12-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.