Let's talk injectors... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Let's talk injectors...

Okay.. So I keep seeing the term "RV275" thrown around for a good kick up from the stock injector.

I also see numbers like 60 HP injectors. I assume that's the increase over stock, right?

Stock HP is 235, so the 275 is a 40 HP injector.

If I'm looking for some 60 HP injectors, can I also look for some RV295 injectors?

What's the RV mean? Does it really mean Recreational Vehicle? Can I just go up to the Winnebago or Freightliner dealership and get some injectors?

I know VP44s get rebuilt at a Bosch center, so I'm going to be getting the same pump from both guys... But what about the injectors? Are those built in-house or are they sent to a Cummins depot?

If I get injectors from one store, let's say, JKidd at Diesel Auto Power, and I get the same kind of injectors from Diesel Manor, will they be exactly the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,143 Times in 904 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Yes, the RV275's are 40hp over stock. I'm not completely sure what the "RV" means but I was also to understand that those injectors were equipped in RV engines, thus the name. Strangely though Bosch's marine version are simply "Bosch Marine" injectors. The Marine versions come in a variety of HP ranges too, and I want to say 300hp is the starting point.

And yes, as long as what you get is "genuine" Bosch RV275's, they all should be the same stock brand new injectors. I want to say that CPP has them for a really good price. So it shouldn't matter who you get them from as long as they are the real deal.....and a good deal.

The reason you hear everyone talk about RV275's so much is because they supposedly a really nice reliable drivable improvement injector over stock. You can still easily tow heavy and they should give you a nice little gain in MPG. They're essentially a stock injector so they likely wont result in any negative effects. A really good injector in combination with a mild timing/fueling box too.

I say all this only from what I've read over the years and the questions I've asked because I dont yet have them either. I plan on getting some in the near future since I wouldnt mind the mild increase in HP and the potential mild increase in fuel mileage as well. But I also understand that the stock clutch is only good for so much HP and I really dont care to install 275's with my EZ and fry the clutch while towing the family trailer. So I'll wait until I can get a clutch too.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, straight piped, no sillencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, 285's

Last edited by KATOOM; 08-29-2012 at 01:49 AM.
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
cummins724 (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,366 Times in 1,178 Posts
Quality! The RV275 are OE injectors for 5.9 engines used in some reconational vehicles of years past. Many aftermarket injectors are from China. Don't expect OE quality. Others are made up from various parts suppliers and may not be consistent from one vendor to another. Don't expect a 60 hp injector and a 60 hp tune to give you 120 HP. It not that simple.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
KATOOM (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,194 Times in 1,024 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
a "60hp" will support 60 more horse power, you do not gain 60 hp from them. also the hp rating on an injector is bs. hole count and size is what should be used.
BigNorth (05-17-2013), EthanC (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I use the rv275's, i ordered genuine Bosch injectors in sealed boxes. I can feel a nice improvement from them with the comp. And true they do not run hot, can tow the family 5er with no problems, and not a ton of stupid smoke. I wouldnt buy anything except real bosch, all these sellers around you have no idea where they came from, or if the set is used. I didnt want used rebuilt injectors, but thats me and i can tell you they work perfect.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
Quality! The RV275 are OE injectors for 5.9 engines used in some reconational vehicles of years past. Many aftermarket injectors are from China. Don't expect OE quality. Others are made up from various parts suppliers and may not be consistent from one vendor to another. Don't expect a 60 hp injector and a 60 hp tune to give you 120 HP. It not that simple.
Okay, so I'm definitely looking for Bosch originals, not aftermarket.

Can you elaborate on the 60 HP injector not making 60 additional HP? What's up with that?

If I took a stock truck and dynoed it, then put the injectors in... No additional programming, no chips, nothing else, what would I see on the next dyno run?

Also, are there any other original Bosch injectors that are meant for street use aside from stock 24 valve and RV275? I see some places marketing RV300 injectors but they have the same part number as the RV275s.

Last edited by Pele; 08-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Pele is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mule Barn Proprietor

Thanked 4,467 Times in 2,408 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Got a question for guys that like rating Injectors by "HP"

Thanks to Weston Shupe
& Ronnie @ Altered Diesel Wurks
http://www.altereddieselwurks.com/
jmd025 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to jmd025 For This Useful Post:
jlbayes (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Pele, what they're saying about 60hp not equaling 60hp is in reference to adding multiple HP goodies. Taking the amount of HP each device is supposedly creating and adding them together to come up with what the end result will be wont be accurate. For example, adding the marketed HP for certain injectors, a certain box, a certain turbo, certain exhaust, and intake wont make the marketed HP of all those parts added up.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd, EZ, straight piped, no sillencer ring, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Transmission/Differential temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 with big line kit, Pac Brake, 285's
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
jlbayes (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Pele, what they're saying about 60hp not equaling 60hp is in reference to adding multiple HP goodies. Taking the amount of HP each device is supposedly creating and adding them together to come up with what the end result will be wont be accurate. For example, adding the marketed HP for certain injectors, a certain box, a certain turbo, certain exhaust, and intake wont make the marketed HP of all those parts added up.
I understand that. I know there's a lotta marketing that goes on with performance parts as well.

I'm certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I'm not trying to do anything wild with my setup. I don't need anything cutting edge here. I'm looking not only to see what worked for other people, but why it worked.

It's why I'm into cars and trucks. I like to take things apart and figure out how they work.

The RV275 injector is a +40 HP injector... but is that without any additional parts or is that the injector alone?

It's like the Geico commercials. We could save you UP TO 15% on your car insurance... Could save you up to... The "could" means they might not save you anything. Could is not the same as WILL.

And "up to" means it might not even be 15%, like 15% is a maximum... Anything under 15% is still up to 15%. They could save you 1% and still be able to make that claim...

So if the RV275 injectors are UP TO +40 HP, then it stands to reason that I might not see ANY gain what so ever out of them without turbo or injection pump upgrades.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mule Barn Proprietor

Thanked 4,467 Times in 2,408 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Pele,

anytime you inject more fuel over the same amount of time...additional HP will be made. that is what the larger injectors will do. The hole size dictates how much more fuel and thats where these HP estimates come from.

Simply by changing the injectors the HP will change, how much is relative to what all else you are changing. I tend to see that with smaller injectors the HP ratings are decently accurate. (* disclaimer, YMMV)

Thanks to Weston Shupe
& Ronnie @ Altered Diesel Wurks
http://www.altereddieselwurks.com/
jmd025 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele View Post
I understand that. I know there's a lotta marketing that goes on with performance parts as well.

I'm certainly not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I'm not trying to do anything wild with my setup. I don't need anything cutting edge here. I'm looking not only to see what worked for other people, but why it worked.

It's why I'm into cars and trucks. I like to take things apart and figure out how they work.

The RV275 injector is a +40 HP injector... but is that without any additional parts or is that the injector alone?

It's like the Geico commercials. We could save you UP TO 15% on your car insurance... Could save you up to... The "could" means they might not save you anything. Could is not the same as WILL.

And "up to" means it might not even be 15%, like 15% is a maximum... Anything under 15% is still up to 15%. They could save you 1% and still be able to make that claim...

So if the RV275 injectors are UP TO +40 HP, then it stands to reason that I might not see ANY gain what so ever out of them without turbo or injection pump upgrades.
Exactly.

But jmd025 is right on the money too. Anytime you add more fuel, you add HP. (of course we're leaving out the increase in air within that statement for sake of simplicity)

I love your insurance company analogy's too. I was thinking of just constantly changing insurance companies. It would seem at some point they'd have to start paying you with all the savings I be saving.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
Exactly.
So if the injectors are a 40 HP increase over stock, how will it affect my power band?
Will the idle still be the same?
Will it still be most efficient at 2200 RPM or will that peak move somewhere?

Quote:
But jmd025 is right on the money too. Anytime you add more fuel, you add HP. (of course we're leaving out the increase in air within that statement for sake of simplicity)
With RV275s, would I need to upgrade to a hybrid HX35/40?

Quote:
I love your insurance company analogy's too. I was thinking of just constantly changing insurance companies. It would seem at some point they'd have to start paying you with all the savings I be saving.
You gotta pay attention to exact words. It's how you pick apart BS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.