1999 Ram 3500 - Cranks but won't start - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
1999 Ram 3500 - Cranks but won't start

Truck has fuel to new injection pump and Fass system installed. No fuel coming from injectors. Any help?
superbee1671 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

crack a few of your fuel lines...they get an air lock in the i/p and it can't push fuel through...I usually crack just my #1 injector line since it is the furthest away/longest line...and then she'll fire and run rough til you close the line again. Try that first before you dig into anythign else, and if that doesn't work we'll go from there
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have tried to bleeding this at two injectors. I also noticed that the fuel pump will only run for 2-3 seconds. I can not make it run for 20 + seconds by bump starting.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

hmmmm...that doesn't sound right. I know when I bump start mine my walbro runs for a good approx 10 sec or so...you do have the relay from the ecm plugged into the fass then obviouosly right? Also, all wiring harnesses are hooked up to the IP? You wsaid you are getting fuel at the I/P right, just not past it to the injectors?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

my stock lift pump only runs for a acouple seconds.. if I bump it, it seems like it will run for 20+ but its really only like 10 seconds I think you have everything hooked up right pop your gas cap off when you try to bleed it that might help a little..

sorry just now read that you CAN NOT make it run for 20+
GETERDID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am getting fuel to the I/P but not thru it. I have cycled the fuel pump over a dozen times and am not getting anything thru it. This is exactly what was happening on the old I/P.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

with that said I dont think everything is hooked up right.... LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETERDID View Post
my stock lift pump only runs for a acouple seconds.. if I bump it, it seems like it will run for 20+ but its really only like 10 seconds I think you have everything hooked up right pop your gas cap off when you try to bleed it that might help a little..

sorry just now read that you CAN NOT make it run for 20+
GETERDID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Does anyone know what makes the fuel pump run for 10 + seconds when you crank?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

it gets signal from that wiring harness down by the starter...your lift pump should be hooked into that. it tells you lift pump to stay running
Old 03-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you know what triggers it? Crank position sensor?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Now that's a good question. I'm not sure on that, but Crank position sensor would be one helluva good guess..hopefully someone else knows for sure and can chime in
Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

grab your self a can of good old starting fluid and spray that thing up already. unplug the grid heaters first or else turn the key on and let the wait to start light to turn off then wait a few minutes go spray it with starting fluid and fire it up!! your pump is air locked that will get it going
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.