Clutch won't disengage - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Clutch won't disengage

2002 Ram 2500 w/ 6-speed
My clutch does not disengage all of a sudden. There were no warning signs. The clutch pedal does not feel any different than usual. I cannot see any evidence of leakage anywhere from the master or slave cylinder. The fluid level is fine. The slave cylinder at the tranny housing is secure. The only recent changes I have made were to change my oil and oil filter, changed air filter, and added some power steering fluid.

I have had to replace the slave cylinder some years ago in this truck, but I can't recall whether the symptoms were just the same. I am reading over my manual some more to try and get ideas on what to test, but if anyone has any advice to toss my way, I'd be much appreciated. Thanks for reading my post!
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Can you get it outta gear once in gear and moving? When my slave cylinder went it did just that. Had to start it in 3rd and crawl home. Few years later it started doing the same thing. figured out that throw out bearing was seized to the input shaft.
99, 4X4, stick, 2nd VP44, 6th carter, Vulcan liftpump relo. kit, Mech. fuel press. guage, BHAF, silencer ring MIA, DIY Rebuilt HX35W, 2nd str8 pipe, crack free junkyard dash for $25!, LSD clutch restack, GM wheel cylinders, got 210,000 miles, been mine for 10 years!
willys99dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well, I just noticed it give me very slight trouble taking it out of gear as I was about to park, and I worried for just a sec, but then it worked again fine when I shifted in gear for the last time before stopping. It could just be that RPMs were matched up though. Anyway, when I got back and tried putting it in any gear with clutch fully depressed, it would not go at all, would grind in reverse, and try to lurch a little bit going into first. I didn't force it. Traffic was horrendous and there's no way I'd try to limp it home at that time.

Is there any good way to test the slave cylinder? Can I just take it out and pump the clutch, or does it require some kind of stop to keep the ram from blowing out?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

If you leave it in gear stopped with the clutch depressed and it starts to move. then its definately the slave cylinder assembly.
99, 4X4, stick, 2nd VP44, 6th carter, Vulcan liftpump relo. kit, Mech. fuel press. guage, BHAF, silencer ring MIA, DIY Rebuilt HX35W, 2nd str8 pipe, crack free junkyard dash for $25!, LSD clutch restack, GM wheel cylinders, got 210,000 miles, been mine for 10 years!
willys99dodge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

When mine went it was the master cylinder. I believe both will show the same symptoms when either starts going bad. If the cylinders are leaking internally you will see not fluid leaking any where.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Replaced master and slave assy

I just got done replacing the master and slave cylinder assembly. Got it new for $229 from the dealer, installed with no apparent problems, and the truck does exactly the same thing, cannot disengage clutch.

I checked the feel of the clutch release lever before installing the new slave cylinder in the clutch housing, and it feels fine, with very little play.

Also, I'm pretty sure that there was never a problem with the master or slave cylinders, because before removing the slave completely, I just backed it out a bit and verified that it was putting pressure on the clutch release lever by having my friend press down just a little on it. However, after taking the slave all the way out, the ram will no longer go back in at all, and from what a service tech at the dealership said, even if I could get it back in, it would still end up leaking.

It's really upsetting to me that the service manual didn't mention any considerations for keeping the slave cylinder compressed when removing it to avoid ruining it. I guess I have learned a lesson about trusting the manual.

So, it looks like I will have to just take it to a shop, which I really do not want to do, but I have no other options at this point. According to the diagnosis chart in the manual (FWIW), it looks like either the clutch disc is damaged, or the release fork is damaged. My guess would be the clutch itself.

I'll start shopping for clutch prices. Thanks for the assistance, guys.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

What ended up fixing this?!?!

I am having the exact same problem. Even went as far as replacing both master and slave cylinders for the clutch which I have done once before on this truck 2 years ago. Bled them out about 10 times with no air coming out and still the same problem... I am leaning towards worn pivot ball for the clutch fork, the clutch fork itself or a worn out pressure plate (bent/broken diaphragms?)
Scotty II intake, 304 stainless 4" TBE, #10 plate FF, Isspro boost & EGT guages, 43psi
Rowingfish87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Bad pilot bearing

The pilot bearing was totally chewed up and had fallen apart. None of the rollers were still in there. The clutch also was in need of replacing, so that was done too. It tore up the input shaft a bit, but the mechanic felt good about how he was able to smooth it out, though it did leave a noticeable lull. I figured I might as well have them try that; if it tears up the pilot bearing due to too much of a gap, then I'm just back to square 1 for the most part. I'll get a new input shaft at that point if it comes to that, but it's around $1100 I think, so I decided to take my chances for now.

Best of luck to you! Hopefully it's as simple as my issue and you don't need anything else replaced.
Rowingfish87 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I was afraid that is what you would say...guess I'll be pulling my trans for further inspection soon.
Scotty II intake, 304 stainless 4" TBE, #10 plate FF, Isspro boost & EGT guages, 43psi
Rowingfish87 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.