47re trouble shifting from 1-2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
47re trouble shifting from 1-2

Lately ive been having issues with my
Truck shifting from 1st to 2nd, i have to
Let off and get back on the throttle lightly
For it to shift, i had the local shop drop the
Pan and change the governor solenoid and
The transducer and it still wont shift right,
What am i missing
1997 dodge 2500, diamo17karot,4gsk, 66/74/14 Silver Bullet 5x16 injectors ,ThurenFab track bar, Snow Performance Stage 2, southbend 550 13"flywheel, 0 plate, 5" Str8 Pipe ,AFE BHAF,BD intercooler boots, boost and pyro gauges 2009 dodge 2500 6.7 EGR Delete,4" tbe,H&S XRT, H&S rail plug, H&S sticker on the back window
cummin not strokin3 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check the transmission output speed sensor. It's back of the transmission. It may be reading wrong and not telling the transmission to shift out of first. Mine did the same thing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Cumminsedge is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,219 Posts
tranny speed sensor on left side of extension is very possible. Also adjust 2nd gear band if not done with internal sensor replace.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
tranny speed sensor on left side of extension is very possible. Also adjust 2nd gear band if not done with internal sensor replace.
BS, the transmission doesn't give two ..... About the speed sensor for a 2nd gear shift. Its all hydraulic in the VB.

It is most likely gov solenoid or more than likely the intermediate band needs adjustment.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsedge View Post
Check the transmission output speed sensor. It's back of the transmission. It may be reading wrong and not telling the transmission to shift out of first. Mine did the same thing.

You must have done other things aside from the speed sensor or the speed sensor changed the gov solenoid signal because the 2nd gear shift is hydraulic in the VB. The truck has zero electronics for 2nd gear, only the governor pressure sensor.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASdakota View Post
BS, the transmission doesn't give two ..... About the speed sensor for a 2nd gear shift. Its all hydraulic in the VB.

It is most likely gov solenoid or more than likely the intermediate band needs adjustment.
The transmission does give two ..... about the speed sensor. If the computer doesn't see the output rpms of the tailshaft it will not shift out of 1st. If I remember correctly it must reach 1800 rpm at the tailshaft for it shift into 2nd. That is all I did to repair the problem. With a scanner hooked up it was reading all over and not consistent. Put a new sensor in and repaired the problem.

Last edited by Cumminsedge; 07-10-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Did your speedo work properly?

Here is why I say that, when I built my transmission there is no electronic control over the 1-2-3 shifts. There is only hydraulic pressure which is governed by the electronic governor. TCC lockup and overdrive have solenoids. You can move your 123 shift points around solely by adjusting your tv cable...

So maybe your speed sensor was causing the governor to change line pressures causing a hang shift without seeing the tv movement to overcome it. But the speed sensor doesn't have direct control over that shift.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

OP, if u did a band adjustment, no codes, speedo works, try verifying your tv cable adjustment and see if it shifts better.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Mine did same thing the band wound up breaking in half when I had this problem

Sent from my Huawei U8800-51 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,219 Posts
A rise in governor pressure (electric controled) vs throttle pressure causes the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. The trans speed sensor is what allows governor pressure to increase. The vehicle speed sensor (at rear axle) is a input also but perhaps contributes more at higher speed for TCC and OD engagements.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
A rise in governor pressure (electric controled) vs throttle pressure causes the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. The trans speed sensor is what allows governor pressure to increase. The vehicle speed sensor (at rear axle) is a input also but perhaps contributes more at higher speed for TCC and OD engagements.
Thank you I didn't think I was an idiot

Old 07-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,035 Times in 814 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
There is hydraulic pressure governed by an ELECTRONIC governor sensor. Something about that just doesn't make sense. If its electronic, it wouldn't make you think it's solely hydraulic, right?? I'm no expert though.

Dads: 2002 QCLB 2500|NV4500 4X4|BD Super B|gauges|banjo upgrade|assassin FP|Quad/V2|S&B CAI|4" TBE|CFM+|heater delete|Flex-a-Lite fans|SB OFEK|DAP "60HP injectors"|Tunnel Ram|steering box brace|98/99HD Steering

2002 QCSB|rebuilt dash and HVAC|Weston 7 x 0.011"|BD Super B|Edge EZ|4" TBE|billet tappet cover

Mine: 2002 QCSB 2500|47RH/NV273 hybrid|12V
ghostman is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.