Slow Acceleration - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Slow Acceleration

Hello! I am a first time CUMMINS owner & recently purchased a 2001 Ram 2500 24V.

It has 105k miles on it and fires right up every time. However, I've noticed that in the morning (approx 70*F outside), after not running for about 10 hours, the engine does not accelerate well or quickly at all. After about 10 mins of driving it accelerates without any problems.

I've searched a few threads and it sounds like I may have a bad lift pump or worse, a failing VP. The previous owner said after he had the fuel filters changed recently and then he got a P0216 code. He cleared it and it never came back.

I was considering upgrading to a Airdog 2 ASAP, however, I am not certain A.) How many GPH I need for moderate HP (tuner, exhaust and maybe a mild turbo) B.) Whether my truck has an In-Tank pump or not.

Thank you in advance for you advice and help!

-Jason
SotallyTober57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I hate to have to tell you this but P0216 is the vp death code.For moderate fuelling upgrades a 100 gph will be plenty.If you bump the starter without starting the engine you should hear the lp whining and be able to find it.Usually hangs out under the fuel filter at rear of engine.When my vp threw that code I drove it for another 12 months or so but I eventually decided to do it up before I was left high and dry, yours could last thousands of miles or it could stop tomorrow.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I would also go ahead and check that fuel filter also he might have said its been changed but doing it yourself will put peace to mind.. My truck was also doing the same thing slow acceleration and no power it was a clogged fuel filter I changed it and has never done it again... But he's right about the death code could last a year or couple or might go on you tomorrow it's a surprise attack
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

As far as the truck not accelerating well when it's cold, that's just normal...even at 70*. If this is your first diesel then you have prolly yet to see the oil viscosity of 15W-40...it is like maple syrup and will not flow well when it is not warmed up (above 120* or so). This affects many different aspects of power and acceleration. First, the engine has to turn while the oil is real thick. Second, it takes a bit of power to pump the thick oil through the engine. The last reason that I can think of right now is that the thick oil running through the turbo doesn't let it spool quite as well. I can hear a noticeable difference in turbo whistle between cold and warm.

I don't have any experience with the code, nor do I know much about it but I hope it doesn't work out badly for you.

As for the acceleration of the truck at colder temps vs warm temps, I wouldn't worry about it, it's normal. Also, if the truck isn't warmed up it is best to try to keep it under about 2,000rpms or so.

Good luck to ya and definitely upgrade that lift pump ASAP
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD Auto 5.9L Cummins: Raptor 150 w/ full 1/2" line kit, DTT Sump, Hypertech 3 Stage programmer, BD Boost Fooler, blocked wastegate, BHAF, 5" RSD exhaust, ISSPRO EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges.
2001 Hypertech Cummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Thanks for the advice! One more question, I see you guys all have modded trucks, have you upgraded the tranny yet?
2007.5 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4, Full deletes, H&S Black Maxx w/OD Tune, Anarchy MCC Tuning, S&B Intake, WCC Intake, WCC Boost Tube, WCC Rail Plug, I.I. 120 tips, AirDog 2 165gph, 5" Turbo Back Exhaust, 6" Fabtech & Traction Bars, Full Mag-Hytec Covers

2001 Ram 2500 - Sold
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober57 View Post
Thanks for the advice! One more question, I see you guys all have modded trucks, have you upgraded the tranny yet?
Most everybody has a modded trany due to the added power. If I where you, I would save for a new VP for sure, and a Raptor, Fass, or Airdog. Another thing about these trucks is stock they dont have the power people think they do. Cold auto trany's dont like to go cold. and when you have a bad VP they dont like to time up when there cold either.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk82 View Post
Most everybody has a modded trany due to the added power. If I where you, I would save for a new VP for sure, and a Raptor, Fass, or Airdog. Another thing about these trucks is stock they dont have the power people think they do. Cold auto trany's dont like to go cold. and when you have a bad VP they dont like to time up when there cold either.
What kind of tranny mods would you recommend if I wanted to make 500-600hp? And approximately would it cost?
2007.5 Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4, Full deletes, H&S Black Maxx w/OD Tune, Anarchy MCC Tuning, S&B Intake, WCC Intake, WCC Boost Tube, WCC Rail Plug, I.I. 120 tips, AirDog 2 165gph, 5" Turbo Back Exhaust, 6" Fabtech & Traction Bars, Full Mag-Hytec Covers

2001 Ram 2500 - Sold
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
OP,

Check with some of the vendors on here. Often a vendor may offer a package including a VP-44 and a aftermarket pump. When I lived in Ft Lauderdale FL, a shop in Miami said only way they sale a VP is with the new aftermarket pump. Just a thought.... Also there are some different configurations that you can do for a pump. I have come across several on the forum. Hope this helps.

oudive

Sent using Tapatalk while hiding from the boss......
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudive View Post
OP,

Check with some of the vendors on here. Often a vendor may offer a package including a VP-44 and a aftermarket pump. When I lived in Ft Lauderdale FL, a shop in Miami said only way they sale a VP is with the new aftermarket pump. Just a thought.... Also there are some different configurations that you can do for a pump. I have come across several on the forum. Hope this helps.

oudive

Sent using Tapatalk while hiding from the boss......
All of this talk about different VP-44s has got me confused! LOL. I thought if the injection pump went bad that I would just buy a new one. There are different types and configs? Do you mean different injection and lift pump configs?

Thanks for the help! It's very much appreciated...

2001 Ram 2500 - Sold
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
All of this talk about different VP-44s has got me confused! LOL. I thought if the injection pump went bad that I would just buy a new one. There are different types and configs? Do you mean different injection and lift pump configs?

Get a SOVP44. SO=Standard output, more flow less pressure.
Heath@HotrodDiesel
Stefan@DTT
JKIDD@DieselAutoPower
Jamie@CumminsPerformanceParts
cummminsV12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
What kind of tranny mods would you recommend if I wanted to make 500-600hp? And approximately would it cost?
I cant really give you a cost but I would suggest an up-graded valve body with a shift kit, and a billet TC for starters. If you are lookin at 500-600 hp you will want billet shafts through out, and some hd clutch up-grades.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

Well as far as VP's go, there are several different ones. The OEM non modified are either SO= Standard Output or HO= High Output. Then there are those that have been modified and so forth.

As far as lift pumps, what I meant was a person could get like an Airdog II or the FASS version, both have fuel filter and a water seperator. Or a person could do just a pump and purchase a drawstraw/or modify their fuel canister and then run a inline filter.....there is so much but click here and scrool down until you see in blue fuel mods.

Since your in Pembroke Pines, your close to Everglades Diesel Injection in Ft Lauderdale. I use to live there and when I had to replace my VP44, that is where I did it. They also will pop your injectors if needed. They have the actual Bosch Machine used to rebuild, program, and test injection pumps. Over all great place to do business.

oudive
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.