can it be made louder? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCoalRoller View Post
If you want louder then u gota go to a 3 or 3 1/2 but the high pitch popping noise coming out when u get on is gona sound like and probably going to drive you crazy. You must be 17 yrs. Old or something

Actually im not 17 years old, and I didn't realize sound preference had a direct relation to age.
1999 Ram 2500,24v Cummins,Auto,QCSB, Industrial Injection Hot Rod Vp44, Airdog 150, Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ iquad, 2.5" leveling kit, 285/75/16 cooper STT's, BHAF, Dual 4inch MBRP straight pipe w/ 5" tips
JDiesel93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,850 Posts
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada5.9 View Post
Smaller exhaust will be louder, bigger will be deeper sounding.
exactly what Estrada said! I'm running an MRBP 5" stainless and it's not loud. It sounds good but not loud vs a 4" straight or even the stock straight pipe. If you want LOUD put the stock exhuast back on it and make it striaght pipe! Trust me after a pulling a load or driving 3+ hours non stop. You'll be hating life with loud exhaust. If you want a good sounding exhaust get a better flowing turbo, HX40 down pipe, 5" past the down pipe with a free flowing muffler and the truck will sound a helluva lot better.. that's just my opinion.

I've had loud exhuast before and it's cool for a little while but after a couple months you really start dis liking it... quiet is where it's at especially if you can hear the turbo over anything else.. hense my 04.5 is all turbo even though it's got a 5" straight pipe on it..
'99 sport quadcab beater with a heater!
cummins04.5handshaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cummins04.5handshaker For This Useful Post:
JDiesel93 (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black2000 View Post
Just run a hood stack
Hood stack for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiesel93 View Post
Actually im not 17 years old, and I didn't realize sound preference had a direct relation to age.
So we missed it by a year...
Old 03-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainer View Post
Hood stack for the win.

So we missed it by a year...
Once again im not seeing the sound/age correlation
1999 Ram 2500,24v Cummins,Auto,QCSB, Industrial Injection Hot Rod Vp44, Airdog 150, Quadzilla Adrenaline w/ iquad, 2.5" leveling kit, 285/75/16 cooper STT's, BHAF, Dual 4inch MBRP straight pipe w/ 5" tips
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I'm 17 and SICK of my straight pipe. Another member on here said he'd ship me his 5" silver line muffler for shipping cost but he still hasn't given me a shipping price. I'm about to offer to just buy it from him so I can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
Twistedcummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

If its a free flow muffler it wont make a huge difference. I used to have an MBRP muffler and it was only a little quiter in the cab than the straight pipe.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiesel93 View Post
If its a free flow muffler it wont make a huge difference. I used to have an MBRP muffler and it was only a little quiter in the cab than the straight pipe.
Ya I'm aware of that, I just want to take the edge off the sound, plus if I can get it for shipping costs I really have nothing to lose if it's not quiet enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by USARMY12V View Post
With a 47RE it's impossible to tell. It's easier diagnosing what's wrong with a woman.
Twistedcummins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Where does your exhaust exit?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Move the exhaust closer to your ears, that will make it louder for you. (Stacks is your solution!)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Head

5in straight it very deep and loud, if i could get a quality vid of my exhaust i would show you. Stack youll get tired of.. theyre too loud i think.
ARP 625s, Hamilton 188/220, Extreme Pushrods, 110 Springs, Banks Big Hoss, Banks tubes/Cooler, Flux 4.5s, ED Billlet S472/88/1.0, Big bubba bov, SD Mani, ATS Duals, T&C Wild Rail, Dual Feed, P&P Head, Amsoil Bypass, AD150, T Bars, Mag Hytecs, 20x12 Fuel Mavericks, TNT Revo/EZ, Fluidampr, Valair triple disc, Other supporting mods...796.6 HP on SW7

Boosted diesel Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CumminsCoal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I can't explain why but when I was in high school I asked my physics teacher how to make my truck louder and he said either make the pipe shorter or increase the diameter of the pipe

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 03-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

out a 8 inch stack behind your head. did it on my old truck and got annoyed with it. but its loud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.