Another write up on swapping a 47RE for a NV4500 - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well started tearing into the transmissino tonight. Got about everything done that I can for the moment. Need to go pick up a gear puller tomorrow and I should be good to go. Here's a couple pictures for sh**ts and giggles.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
01 2500 QCSB 4x4 - NV4500 Swap, 3600# SD from Kenny's, Quadzilla ADR 4k, 150HP Jammer Nozzles, RSD 4" Down Pipe-5" Straight Pipe, AEM CAI, Raptor 150, Big Line Kit Tank to VP, Leveled, Recon Smoked Cab Lights (110# Springs, HD Rods, Head Studs, in the works)
1stgen3rdgendodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMmins12 View Post
I wanted to go with valair's 600 hp ceramic clutch. I dont tow often but when i do its a pretty hefty load. one of my buddies HAD a ceramic clutch until the first time he had to pull a trailer home...needless to say he didnt make it lol.

But what I was trying to tell you with the crossmember is that you do NOT need a bottlejack and a block of wood. it seriously took me less that 5 minutes to get it out and all i used was a small hand sledge. there are notches in the frame behind where the crossmember is so all you have to do is remove all your crossmember bolts, jack the trans up enough to clear the soft mount on your crossmember and give it a few nice taps with the hammer towards the rear of the truck. once you get it to those notches it falls right out...and thats no joke it fell right on my legs I wouldnt want to tweak my frame rails if I didnt have to but thats just me.

It says your in lima so im assuming you go to UNOH? you should be fine

falls out and nice taps haha, ya right. everyone i have done never comes out easy. hopefully when we do his it wont be to bad
Old 03-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoal View Post
falls out and nice taps haha, ya right. everyone i have done never comes out easy. hopefully when we do his it wont be to bad
Shoot son......getting this trans back together will make everything else look like a walk in the park haha.
01 2500 QCSB 4x4 - NV4500 Swap, 3600# SD from Kenny's, Quadzilla ADR 4k, 150HP Jammer Nozzles, RSD 4" Down Pipe-5" Straight Pipe, AEM CAI, Raptor 150, Big Line Kit Tank to VP, Leveled, Recon Smoked Cab Lights (110# Springs, HD Rods, Head Studs, in the works)
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
I think you misunderstood what i meant by a "few nice taps". what i meant was beat the hell out of it until it gets to those notches in the frame, then it WILL fall out. assuming your trucks not a rust bucket
'99 2500 QCLB 4x4, AEM Brute Force, Quadzilla ADR, Airdog 150, 7x.012's, .093 tubes, E.D. 2.6 Charger, A1 Studs, MBRP 5'', 47RE to NV4500, 13'' Valair Kevlar/Ceramic Clutch, Glowshift (FP, Boost, PYRO), CPP Trac Bars, Rough Country, 325/60 Baja MTZ Radial SLT's on 18'' MotoMetals.
RAMmins12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

on a different note, have you started digging into your t-case yet? i got mine apart last weekend, put the new input shaft in and noticed about 1/4 inch end play in the shaft... so i pulled everything back apart and seen the difference between the lips on each shaft. i called dodge and ordered the wider bearing for the input shaft so hopefully that takes care of it. ive just never read about anyone having issues with this before so im hoping someone who has swapped these shafts can chime in here about it...
'99 2500 QCLB 4x4, AEM Brute Force, Quadzilla ADR, Airdog 150, 7x.012's, .093 tubes, E.D. 2.6 Charger, A1 Studs, MBRP 5'', 47RE to NV4500, 13'' Valair Kevlar/Ceramic Clutch, Glowshift (FP, Boost, PYRO), CPP Trac Bars, Rough Country, 325/60 Baja MTZ Radial SLT's on 18'' MotoMetals.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yea I'm wondering about the transfercase to I have the np241 dld did you order the shaft for the dhd on eBay are they the same
mowerracer828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

i got the whole kit with everything i needed from balsley's in PA. he gave me the input shaft for the tcase with my kit but he said its the only 29 splined shaft they have available for those 241's. i had to order the roller bearing and get a freeze plug for inside the input shaft, that stuff wasnt the issue. the problem i am having is when you set the two shafts side by side on the bench and look at the lips on them (where the shaft makes contact going thru the front of the tcase) there is a noticeable difference (about 1/4 inch). so when i put the shaft in, i had about 1/4 inch of end play where the input shaft would move in and out. so i pulled it back apart, called the mechanic at balsley's where i got the kit, told him again that ive got the 241dld, he assured me that the input shaft is the only difference in the dld and the dhd and he told me that there are two different input bearings used on the 241's, a wide and a narrow. so i ordered a wide bearing from dodge for a 241dhd. should have a chance to get it in this weekend and see if that takes care of the end play.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I haven't gotten to the swap yet. Going to do it this weekend. Almost have the transmission completely back together. As far as the tcase goes, I did a bulk order off eBay and got my tail housing along with the 29 spline input shaft and didn't know which bearing I was going to need so I got both a narrow and wide bearing but I'm pretty sure the wide bearing is the one you'll need.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerracer828 View Post
Yea I'm wondering about the transfercase to I have the np241 dld did you order the shaft for the dhd on eBay are they the same
the dhd and dld input shafts are different

and rammins12 i dont think you should have play in the input shaft
Old 03-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #22 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Blackcoal is right. DLD and DHD input shafts are different. The input shaft I got is for a DLD.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I just want to add that after having had this trans apart and now it's about ready to be buttoned back up that it definitely was not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. This is the first time that I have actually messed with a transmission. I do have to say a big thanks to my buddy blackcoal for helping me out though, otherwise I would have been completely lost haha. With that said here are a couple more pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
All back together, well almost.

And with that said I will never take a trans to a shop ever again. All that needs done yet is I'm probably gonna have to shim up the main shaft a little bit yet as there is just a tad to much end play and then wait for my split washer kit to get here, which should be Thursday and then the trans will be all back together and hopefully it will shift into all the gears lol. If that all goes well I'll be swapping the trans in here this weekend.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
the dhd and dld input shafts are different

and rammins12 i dont think you should have play in the input shaft

thats why it puzzled me when i got everything in and seen the end play. the shaft they gave me is the same shaft they give everyone they sell their kits to. ill post a picture on here with the two shafts side by side so you can see what im talking about. it makes sense that the wider input bearing would take care of it, but i will just have to wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.