Best Front Hub/Wheel Bearings for 4x4??? - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
276,000 on my stockers, whatever ones they are.
'02 2500 CTD. H.O 3.55 gears. DSV. Assasin fuel pump, BHAF, 4" Turbo back w/Muffler, Dpricol Optix guages, Edge Comp, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. (Work) - '99 2500 CTD Quad cab. Short bed, assasin fuel pump, BHAF, 4" turbo back, +50 injectors, DTT 47RE,Play)
cowtippwe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i have done my front wheel bearings twice.. i bought what i thought were semi american made ones for $210 ea. Two days later grease slung all over so i took those back off and spent around $350 ea for american made ones. Timken bearings i think it said. got about 55k on them now. no problems. Chinese knockoffs had timkin bearings..lol bastards. i didn't read it close enough. I bought the socket for the front axle nut on Amazon.com. think it was $20. Used a 3/4" impact to take nut off.. it's a bugger. did brake discs while i was there since they are on the back of the hub. i use heavy duty pads but the ones with the least amount of metal in them. try to save the rotor.. pads are easy to swap.. rotors pain in the azz plus the petal pressure to operate them is less than the other ones.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I just ordered this timken for my 99 from fleabay. Close to $30 less than anyone else and free shipping. Feedback is very very good for this seller so I went with it. 150K miles on my truck and I suspect the old ones are original. I was getting a popping noise around turns I was trying to track down and then driving home heard a tick tick tick/click click click type noise and jacked it up and found a ton of play in the bearing/hub so it sits parked till the new one shows up.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Seller name is "auto_peddler" 99.9% positive feedback after 2,564 transactions. Seems to sell quite a few bearings and hubs and the like.

$173.55 with free UPS ground shipping.

Timken SP580103 Front Left Hub Assembly, Fits 98-99 Dodge Ram 3500
2006 Ram 2500 SLT Cummins 4X4 G56 6 Speed Black Thunder Road - 5" MBRP Stainless Turbo-Back - Thuren 3" coils - Thuren Fox 2.0 W/Reservoirs - Carli full rear Deavers - 35X12.50X17 Toyo M/T's - Intake baffle/turbo silencer ring deletes.

Last edited by BigBadTurboI6; 04-28-2012 at 03:28 AM.
BigBadTurboI6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Thanks for all the great input!! My money went towards the Timkens as well. Found a good deal online.. just google search your part number.. seems like the best product for the money.. we'll see..
01.5 2500 QCSB 4x4 5.9 SLT, 47RE Rebuilt @ 140k, 3.55 gears, 285/70/17's, 4" Straight pipe/exhaust brake. Purchaced 5-13-11, 190k on the clock now. Added: fuel press/trans temp/EGT gauges, TC L/S/UL switch, Edge comp -no pump tap- yet
DSLDVL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I use SKF hubs and bearings. Use Spicer ball joints (affordable and durable)....I also use Spicer u-joints; Moog's wear out way faster. ALSO, pretty sure timken is SKF so you did well. Lots of good stuff here for your next purchase: RockAuto Parts Catalog
Good luck buddy
BC-12Valve is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BC-12Valve For This Useful Post:
JMc's 01Dually (01-18-2014)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

I have a 2001 4x4 with what looks like stock bearings. They were rough when I did a brake job about 20k ago. I drilled the hub and pumped it up with synthetic bearing grease. It really does not need a ton. What ever bearing you get make sure you drill and grease them yourself. They advertise is as a sealed unit but that is so they control the amount of grease that is in it. They put just enough grease in so it starts making noise right after the warranty goes out. I have had no more noise and zero problems. I have started to do this to all the sealed unit bearing on all my vehicles. Unit bearings are made for speed of assembly and so the OEM can push the less maintenance of modern trucks. This cost you more in the long run. Give it a try with your current bearings. What do you have to loose. As long as the hub is not loose that is.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcyclonegt For This Useful Post:
JMc's 01Dually (01-18-2014)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

the moog problem solver line is supposed to be of much better quality than their regular line. i just put a set of the problem solver ball joints in last weekend and i cant yet attest to their durability over time, they certainly looked like a quality product out of the box compared to the crap stockers i had on there.
2000 2500 QCSB. Kore Recon, Carli Control Arms, DT Tracbar. 35x12.5r17 Cepek FCII on 3rd gen wheels. Goerend Built Tranny, Banks Stinger Kit w/ hi ram elbow, afe stage 2 CAI, BD 100 Inj., Fass 150,. PSC Stage III Steering Kit, Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix
TuTone2ndGen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Where could I find a set of Timkens for my 4x4 1995?

(Link Please)
95 CCLB 4x4 auto, 4" exhaust, 3-pc manifold, S&B CAI, Fuel plate removed, heavily modded afc, 4k gsk, #60 valve springs, 2095 plug, Tork Tek adjustable OFV, 20* timing, KDP tabbed, boost fuel pressure & pyro, Built 47RH, THUREN/CARLI SUSPENSION
Feller is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.