2001 Dodge Ram Check Engine Light - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2001 Dodge Ram Check Engine Light

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad cab, 24v 5.9 Cummins with 110,000 miles on the clock, 6 speed manual transmission. The engine is bone stock except for a K&N air filter.
I have owned the truck for 3,000 issue free miles. Today, while driving the truck the check engine light came on and within a couple miles the engine started to run roughly, missing. I checked all gages and everything was fine. I would describe it like fuel starvation. I managed to make it home as I was right around the block from my house when this happened. I left the truck for an hour and restarted it. It seemed to run fine but within a couple minutes it started to run roughly and miss again. I tried a friends engine analyzer on the truck but it says there are no DTC's stored in the computer. The engine will idle but it sounds like it is missing.
I just filled the tank and within 35 miles this issue happened, it took 22 gallons to fill.
Any ideas out there. Could this be a lift pump issue? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by hollywood1336; 02-12-2012 at 07:13 PM.
hollywood1336 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Do you have a clue as to what your fuel pressure is? It sounds like a lift pump and/or injector pump issue to me.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, I don't have a fuel pressure gage on my truck. I was going to change the lift pump as a precaution anyway, can you suggest a good replacement. Does someone sell a bolt on fuel pressure gage kit.
The truck will start and run good for a minute or two then it starts missing, no power, I can put it in first gear and it will roll but like I said if I put my foot on the throttle it runs very rough and misses.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If you are going to leave it bone stock a Raptor FRRP is a good pump from what i hear for stock. If you think you are going to add some power later you ought to look for something better. I believe your fuel canister has a tap on it you can add a fp gauge to. I have an Isspro 0 to 30 mechanical gauge on mine and it works very well. I have the gauge mounted in my a pillar gauge pod.

My 02 has a schrader valve on the inlet of the VP that you can attach a test gauge to to see what your lift pump pressure is. The stock lift pump is a pos and they fail alot. If you have less than 10# there then replace it and ahope your vp is not quite toast yet. With no codes it is a toss up as to which one or both is the problem. If you have 10# there and it still wont run, $1k will get you a new VP. I would feel better if you had some codes though before I spent the $1k.

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I replaced the fuel filter when I got the truck, 3000 miles ago.
I don't mind spending the money to get something better now, just in case I want to add power later. Do you have suggestions. Can you explain a little better where your FP gage is connected.
Is the VP the Boosch pump, where do I get that for 1k if I have to.

I did the turn the ignition on and off three times without starting the engine to get a code but all it gave was the P1693.....Pdone. Is there something else I can do to find any codes.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood1336 View Post
I replaced the fuel filter when I got the truck, 3000 miles ago.
I don't mind spending the money to get something better now, just in case I want to add power later. Do you have suggestions. Can you explain a little better where your FP gage is connected.
Is the VP the Boosch pump, where do I get that for 1k if I have to.

I did the turn the ignition on and off three times without starting the engine to get a code but all it gave was the P1693.....Pdone. Is there something else I can do to find any codes.
lets take it one step at a time.
The key trick does not work on all 01's. When you did it did you just turn the key back off at P done. If it is reading both computers you will get P pcu, codes, and pdone, then you should get pecu, codes then pdone. The 1693 is a companion code telling you there is another code present in the other computer. You will need a scanner to get the other code if the dey trick will not read both computers. My 02 will read both but will not always give up all the codes. A scanner is the best method.

Air Dog and Fass both make very good lift pumps. I would recomend you look at both and consider what you might want to do later.

I installed an ADII on mine. The pump was more than I will ever need, but it also came with a kit to replace the in tank pump that was on mine. If I want to later i can still add more power.

You can buy a reman Bosch injector pump(VP44) from alot of places. Mine came from Blue Chip diesel. It was $1700 when i bought it, they are a little more now. I am happy with it. At the time it was the only one I found with a new compute on it. Diesel Auto Power is a vendor here and has VP's with new computers and can make you a good package on a lift pump/injector pump combo.

when I installed my AD I also installed a big line kit so I could keep my stock filter in addition to the filters that came on the AD. That was just a personal choice on my part. Mine is installed in that line between the filter canster and the VPhttp://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3406&d=1326249194

I do urge you to get the codes read completly before you spend a wad of money though. Dont just throw parts at a problem untill you know what the problem is.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dripley View Post
lets take it one step at a time.
The key trick does not work on all 01's. When you did it did you just turn the key back off at P done. If it is reading both computers you will get P pcu, codes, and pdone, then you should get pecu, codes then pdone. The 1693 is a companion code telling you there is another code present in the other computer. You will need a scanner to get the other code if the dey trick will not read both computers. My 02 will read both but will not always give up all the codes. A scanner is the best method.

Air Dog and Fass both make very good lift pumps. I would recomend you look at both and consider what you might want to do later.

I installed an ADII on mine. The pump was more than I will ever need, but it also came with a kit to replace the in tank pump that was on mine. If I want to later i can still add more power.

You can buy a reman Bosch injector pump(VP44) from alot of places. Mine came from Blue Chip diesel. It was $1700 when i bought it, they are a little more now. I am happy with it. At the time it was the only one I found with a new compute on it. Diesel Auto Power is a vendor here and has VP's with new computers and can make you a good package on a lift pump/injector pump combo.

when I installed my AD I also installed a big line kit so I could keep my stock filter in addition to the filters that came on the AD. That was just a personal choice on my part. Mine is installed in that line between the filter canster and the VPhttp://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3406&d=1326249194

I do urge you to get the codes read completly before you spend a wad of money though. Dont just throw parts at a problem untill you know what the problem is.

Start with a test of the Fuel Pressure, getting a good gauge (autometer or ISSPRO) in the cab is the best. No matter how good your pump is they all can fail or get clogged.
Then read all codes with a scanner.

I think once you check your fuel pressure you will find your problem.
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It appears the link was bad above. http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attach...6&d=1326249194
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can someone suggest a scanner that will read my truck. I bought a Equus innova 3130 scan tool and it wont read my computer.
When I plug it in it recognizes the computer but then says there are no DTC's stored in the trucks computer. Also, it doesn't recognize the engine computer.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

An OBDII acanner should read the computers unless the ecm is what is shot. I would think the one you have is an OBDII. You could probably get a loaner at an auto parts store and see if there is any better results. I believe if it want read the ECM it is probably toasted. We need to get some other opinions here fromthe electronicly inclined before codemning it.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

the scanner i have is a Scantool OBD2 3130, cost $180 at Pep Boys
Here's what happens when I plug it in.
The scanner connects with the computer, pauses for a moment and says there are no DTC's stored in the computer.
The scanner allows you to also read the engine and transmission. When I select the engine option it tells you to wait a few moments then it tells me it can not connect with the engine and to make sure the ignition is on and retry.

If an ECM was out wouldn't the scanner detect that.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I can get downloads/updates off the web for my Equus innova 3160 with the serial cord attached to my laptop, check your instruction book.

Fuel pressure test kits are available at most chain type auto parts stores. The gasser kits work fine.

Screw the connector on the fitting of the injector pump on the driver's side of the engine.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run.

Stock spec is 10psi+, most folks look for 15psi.
'01.5 QC, SB, 6spd 4x4, Drag Comp, 4" exh. Jammer 100's and 60-60-14cm hybrid w/adj.boost elbow Big Line, fuel press.pyro & boost gauges fuel cooler BHAF, Black Holley lift pump-12psi WOT Ceramic/Kevlar SD clutch, studs, Take time to turn-so you don't burn
Clunk is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.