Fuel Pressure Springs - Airdog 100/150 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pressure Springs - Airdog 100/150

Do these springs typically not provide the pressure that is advertised, or am I doing something else wrong?

Knowing that most folks seem to want a WOT pressure reading of above 14psi on the 24v trucks, I was watching for this pressure level when I installed my new lift pump / pressure gauge.

With the factory installed spring (which is listed at 15 psi, +/- 2 psi) I found that I was getting between 12-13.5 psi, and probably only holding around 12 psi at highway speeds.

So, I switched to the other spring that was provided in the kit. My understanding was that this spring was supposed to be a "17 psi" spring. Allowing for the 2 psi +/- variation, this should theoretically keep my pressure above 15 psi. But, this spring is only giving me between 13.5-15 psi.

I have a couple of theories:

1) The second spring is a direct replacement for the first, and is NOT a heavier pressure spring.

or

2) The springs aren't very accurately "calibrated"

or

3) My fuel pressure gauge is reading low. I'm using an Isspro mechanical, with an isolator.

Since these setups are so common around here, I thought I'd ask to see what you guys have noticed with yours!
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I got 15 psi with my AD150 when I put mine in. I put the higher psi spring in and now I have 20psi at idle and 18-19 at cruising speeds. My buddy who has the AD100 gets 12-13 at idle with his too.
2002 QCSB 2500 4x4 NV5600-Edge Comp-5" RSD TBE-Isspro EV2 Boost, FP, EGT-AirDog 150-Liberty Module-AFE Stage 2-Solid Steel Industries 3rd Gen Track bar conversion-Solid Steel Industries Steering Stabilizer-Redhead-Bilstein 5100's-BFG AT's
twheat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

So, I wonder what I can do at this point to increase my pressure?

I'd like to keep it over 14psi at a minimum, since that appears to be the pressure required to open the overflow valve on the VP44, and allow continuous fuel flow. But, neither of the springs that came with my Airdog are providing that kind of pressure. I watched it closely on my commute today (with the second spring installed). 14-14.5 psi was about the running level at idle. At highways speeds it dropped into the 13-13.5 psi range. In other words, I'm close to where I want to be, but not quite there. And, based on what the Airdog literature stated, I should be seeing the pressure I need at this point.

Last edited by Coloradokevin; 02-02-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Coloradokevin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I would call Airdog. I have read you can stretch the springs a little to increase the pressure but I am not sure how well that works. They might have other springs they could send you too.
2002 QCSB 2500 4x4 NV5600-Edge Comp-5" RSD TBE-Isspro EV2 Boost, FP, EGT-AirDog 150-Liberty Module-AFE Stage 2-Solid Steel Industries 3rd Gen Track bar conversion-Solid Steel Industries Steering Stabilizer-Redhead-Bilstein 5100's-BFG AT's
twheat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twheat View Post
I would call Airdog. I have read you can stretch the springs a little to increase the pressure but I am not sure how well that works. They might have other springs they could send you too.
Guess I'm not the only one who's up late (or, perhaps early, depending on your location)!

I may have to give Airdog a call about this in the morning. But, I've definitely come to the conclusion that there's really very few issues or problems that I've come across with my truck that haven't been seen around here first
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
The springs you received in your kit should be the 15 & 17 psi springs. We have 10, 15, 17 and 30. Unless that spring was a little out of spec when it was made it should dead head at 15 psi. You can try pinching the fuel line after your fuel pressure sensor and see if the pressure goes up. With you trying both springs and the pressure being different on both it does sound like the springs are fine.

Just remember that every truck is different and what might read 15 on one truck could read 14 on another. One of that girls that works here has that same spring/kit on her truck and it holds 15-16 psi at idle and 14-15 under load.

If you don't see any difference then you can stretch the spring and that will help raise the pressure to where you woud like.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have experienced the same, I put in my 17psi spring and my gauge shows 15-16
'00 2500 Auto QuadCab ShortBed 105k- Quadzilla Adrenaline, BD performance elbow, 4" straight pipe exhaust, AirDog 100 w/custom bracket, BD Fuel pressure sensor, Autometer boost and pyro, EV2 Fuel Pressure, 55 block , BD APPS Noise Isolator, BHAF
UtahDodgeCummins is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well with what I'm running it can say 16 to 14 and cruising 14 wot it can drop to abt 12 to 10 depending on how much fuel u need I'm pushing a lot lol
]62/71/14 over s475 .ad150.monster stg 2 vp.studs.drag comp box.5inch tbe.devils own water Meth.ed 6x16s wlift.pusher intake. gride delete.tunnelram.guages.caltracs #110 springs.pushrods.southbend dd.zex nitrous dyno 708/1678 non loaded dyno 13.3 @108
davidmillerjr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowdiesel View Post
The springs you received in your kit should be the 15 & 17 psi springs. We have 10, 15, 17 and 30. Unless that spring was a little out of spec when it was made it should dead head at 15 psi. You can try pinching the fuel line after your fuel pressure sensor and see if the pressure goes up. With you trying both springs and the pressure being different on both it does sound like the springs are fine.

Just remember that every truck is different and what might read 15 on one truck could read 14 on another. One of that girls that works here has that same spring/kit on her truck and it holds 15-16 psi at idle and 14-15 under load.

If you don't see any difference then you can stretch the spring and that will help raise the pressure to where you woud like.

Will stretching the spring be able to make up a few psi difference? With the 17psi spring I'm only getting 13-13.5 psi while driving down the road at 60 mph, and no better than 14.5 psi at idle. I'd really like to keep 14 psi at the bare minimum.

I'm currently completely stock, and my experience thus far leaves me a bit concerned that this pump may not be able to keep up with any performance modifications that I might do in the future, considering that 17 psi spring isn't even getting me 14psi during a straight and level 60mph cruise right now (it was my understanding that the 100 gph pumps were supposed to be good to go for trucks up to 500 hp).

Last edited by Coloradokevin; 02-12-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Anyone else have advice on this issue? I'll try the fuel line pinch test that 1lowdiesel mentioned, and see if that changes things. Also, could the snubber fitting be causing a low reading at the gauge?

I'm still a bit surprised that my 17psi Airdog spring is only producing an average pressure of 13-13.5 psi at cruise speeds, given that my truck is otherwise stock (save for this fuel system).

I haven't tried stretching the spring yet. I have a couple of issues there (only one or two of which you guys may be able to help with):

1) I don't exactly know how that helps, or how much I'm supposed to stretch it.
2) There's a lot of snow on the ground right now, and I'd like it to melt before I play under the truck again (that's in nature's hands).
3) I can't confirm whether or not a spring stretch would actually make up the 4 psi difference between the spring's rating and the pressure I'm reading, or if I just need a heavier spring.

Last edited by Coloradokevin; 02-12-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

before stretching any springs, I'd try a different gauge to confirm your gauge is accurate....and a pound or two either way is not gonna make any difference to your vp, My opinion is your trying to pick fly poop out of pepper

only my opinion
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well I would first verify the install of your isolator. I would not be without one, I don't want fuel in the cab for several reasons. That said I did have some issues with my install the 1st time. I didn't get compression fitting at the gauge tighten enough to the back of the gauge the 1st time. This resulted in the antifreeze leaking out and the gauge going to zero.

So I 1st used a Q-Tip to make sure the isolator bladder was all the way to the fuel side of the isolator, then filled with anti-freeze, then loosely attached the tube from the gauge and filled it from the gauge end, allowing the air to bleed out at isolator. Tighten the fitting at the isolator, then fill the rest of the tube and attach to the Gauge.

Where are you reading the FP? If you are still using the stock fuel filter, did you install a 1/2" line from the filter to the VP$$?
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.