02 won't rev past 1,500 RPM's - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
02 won't rev past 1,500 RPM's

I just went to look at an 02 cummins, 6 speed and when my buddy went to test drive it he said it wouldn't rev past 1500 rpm's and that was in every gear. Truck has 91,000 miles on it. Anybody have an idea of what could be wrong?

also... There was a lot of white smoke coming out of the stacks when the guy pulled it around for us to see. The truck wasn't warm when he pulled it around so we don't know if that could be the case.

Last edited by metalli445; 02-02-2008 at 09:26 PM.
metalli445 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free spirit

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like it might be in limp mode.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

How do you get it out of limp mode? Undo the batteries?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

if its in limp mode I believe you have to take it to the dealer and heard its kinda spendy..
GETERDID is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free spirit

I had to disconnect the batteries for 5 to 10 minutes the first few times this happened. It still happens occasionally but all I have to do is turn the key off and restart. Now I can do this while rolling, in neutral of course.

It is very intermittent, practically rare, but the situation when it occurs has been consistent. On hot temperature days and the truck is idling for upwards of 5 minutes then using reverse. Such as idling in front of a store then backing out onto the road for example.

Unfortunately I do not enough to explain why this happens or why I had to disconnect the batts the first few times (all in the same drive) and now I can just cycle the engine off/on to clear it.

I have never heard or read about having to take it to a dealer to clear limp mode, but I am certainly not an expert and this would not surprise me. I seem to recall that other conditions may cause the rpm limit situation. Let us know if disconnecting the batts clears to condition or if we need to look for a different solution.

Last edited by R-N-R; 02-07-2008 at 01:12 AM. Reason: grammer
R-N-R is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free spirit

Did you check for codes?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

The truck was for sale at a dealership. Once we told the guy who was interested in the truck about the problem, he lost all interest in the truck so he's still looking for another one.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I'd take in to a parts store and get the codes read. Most places will do this for free. you can do the key-on-off-x3 but I found once that didn't tell the whole story. My truck was once in limp mode too and it was simply the map sensor...a very easy fix.

as far as the white smoke goes...does it go away when the truck warms up?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
I would check for codes first thing...
OBD II Error Codes

Error code listing...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...or%20Codes.pdf

Then I would check fuel supply issues...
Lift Pump Diagnostics
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i would guess that it may be a boost leak.

but it could be as simple as a broken wire to say that the truck is in gear as opposed to in neutral, as most vehicles have limiters placed on the rev's while in neutral. (neutral safety switch) loose or broken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.