intermittent coolant leak - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
intermittent coolant leak

Folks,

Friday, the Ram puked about a quart of antifreeze all over the drive. Relatively short drive, maybe 9 miles, from sitting overnight. Antifreeze was all over the engine bay and dripping out the bottom.

Cleaned things up, and restarted to find like. Did not leak. Drove it 100 miles that day, and did not leak another drop.

Saturday morning it pukes some again - much less - drive was shorter - but still has anti-freeze all over the engine bay.

Today, started it up, no leaking at first. Leaked some later one. Only seems to leak when it's "half-warm" and doesn't leak for a long period of time before "sealing" and being fine the rest of the day.

Waterpump? I can't find anything else. Hoses are new, no visible signs of radiator leakage, and most of the fluid is being blown by the fan up and over the engine, toward the drivers side, coating the upper radiator hose (new) fuse box, and all drivers side battery in coolant spray.

Thanks for the help.
2001, QCSB, 4" MBRP, 51" Donaldson, Edge Comp, FASS 3rd gen brakes, 3rd gen steering, Borgeson box & shaft & pump, superpro bushings, Blue Chip VP44 (awesome), Revmax fully built transmission (horrid experience)
ncsucarjock88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
When did you replace the hoses, did this start about the same time? Have you looked at the hoses where the coolant goes to the cab above the oil filter?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would put a coolant system pressure tester on it first pump it up to 16 psi and watch, if you don't have one any big parts store(Advance,Autozone,O'reilly) have tool loaner programs, you said new hoses? could have a pinhole in one I had one not too long ago brand spanking new leak on me, turns out it was a hole that the manufatcurer put in the hose to attach the little red plastic hanger under pressure it sprayed like a fountain!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

you need to pressure test the system when cold,as it may be losing the seal at the hoses or water pump. when it gets a little heat like you say it practically stops when warmed up. i've had this situation on gas engines in the past[diesel at this point don't matter]. you may have to just retighten the hoses some more or water pump replacement. borrow the tool needed and bring it home or where the unit is and check pressure when cold , don't drive it to the shop to get pressure tester. then see what you got. good luck jim e.
02 dodge 24 v 5.9 ISB QCab Lb a/c 3500 dually 6sp [nv5600] ,3.55 LSD-2wd -237,000 miles stock isspro fp-egt-boost BHAF-raptor 100[relocated to frame] BIG line kit- tank all the way to inj pu-EDGE comp silencer ring mia. 5 in exhst Valair HD single organic clutch
ex04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Hmm. Well, new hoses have been on since... the first of November. Truck has been driven about 3000 miles since the new hoses were installed. This started Friday, and resulted in a pretty decent puddle under the truck twice now. I checked all hose connections, and wiped down all hoses, and could not make the hoses leak. I think I'm dealing with something else. Pressurizing the system is a good idea. Still don't know if that will make a water pump leak though... thoughts?
2001, QCSB, 4" MBRP, 51" Donaldson, Edge Comp, FASS 3rd gen brakes, 3rd gen steering, Borgeson box & shaft & pump, superpro bushings, Blue Chip VP44 (awesome), Revmax fully built transmission (horrid experience)
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Oh, and it refuses to leak when dead cold - only seems to do it when it's partially warmed up. Not hot, but not cold. Temp must be over 150*F, but before the thermostat opens and the entire cooling system gets up to temp. Weird - I agree. That's why I'm asking for ideas ;-)
Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

it won't leak very much if at all if there is no pressure in the system,once you warm it up they sometimes seal up. if you check it cold with a pressure tester it will show where the seal has been broken. thats why they make these tools, to help in the proper diagnosis. as for the water pump it has a seal inside near the[ weep hole] when you put pressure on it [air]from the tester out it will come[coolant]. believe me on this as i have had to bring my tools to the customers house and test the system cold in the driveway because by the time they drove to the shop it warmed up a little and the leak had sealed. try it ,i could be wrong but it won't cost you an arm and a leg to check these things out. you asked for suggestions i have given them . the rest is up to you. let us know how you made out.``````` ``````````` thanks jim e.
02 dodge 24 v 5.9 ISB QCab Lb a/c 3500 dually 6sp [nv5600] ,3.55 LSD-2wd -237,000 miles stock isspro fp-egt-boost BHAF-raptor 100[relocated to frame] BIG line kit- tank all the way to inj pu-EDGE comp silencer ring mia. 5 in exhst Valair HD single organic clutch

Last edited by ex04; 01-08-2012 at 11:10 PM.
ex04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,371 Times in 1,183 Posts
Feel the weep hole on underneath side of water pump. If finger gets wet then water pump has leaked.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Canadian Diesel Junkie

I had something similar to this happen to me before as well, it would leak prior to the thermostat opening, then once it was up to temp and the thermostat opened it would quit. Its almost like there is more pressure in the rad at half warm due to the tstat restriction and the pressure being created by heat.

As others have said, you need to pressurize the system and hunt for the leak. Before it leaves you on the side of the road somewhere with an overheated engine!
| NV4500 - 1.375" billet input | Valair DD Ceramic 3600# | NP241DHD | Dana 80 with Detroit locker | BHAF | 4" straight exhaust | EJWA Hot Unlocked | FASS 150-150 | PhatShaft 62/65/14 w/billet wheel | BD 3-Piece Pulse Exhaust Manifold | Tunnel Ram | DAP 175ish hp stix | ARP Studs | ABS Delete | 315-75R-16 BFG AT's on DC-2's | Arctic 8'6" commercial plow | Road Rhino front w/prerunner bar | 40 gallon aux fuel tank

INCOMING Supercharger, track bars, DOR front end, airlift bags, 5 EV2's.
Cleftwynd is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Mine was doing the same.. Finally located the leak from the weep hole in the water pump. Took about thirty minutes and $50 to replace. All good now
99 2500 4x4 Laramie, Ranch Hand front,62/65/12, ADR/Pulse, MBRP 4" , BHAF, AD100, Isspro fp gauge, lvld, boost elbow, Relentless billet w/ triple. CPP 200s, Tunnel Ram. Steering brace, dual stabilizer, heims, adj. tracbar. 1000 watts. Rhino'd rockers. Air Ride
JacksonDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

yeah it's pressure building up before the t-stats open, coin funny things with fluid pressure. Ive seen a Cummins 400 Blow a heater line coolant hose at the same time the engine ran out of fuel. I have seen my motor leak just like yours, still can find the leak, but it rarely happens. Let her warm up/cool down properly when towing, yet alone all the time.
01CUMMINSco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.