wait to start light - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
wait to start light

On my 99 dodge my truck will not start unless the wait to start light comes on fires right up when the light does appear even if it is warm sometimes when i turn the key the light comes on and i hit the switch it fires right up and sometimes it does it's cycle through all the lights on the dash then the light comes on and it will start up.But if i try to start it before the light comes on it will just crank.we are talking just a matter of 3 to 4 seconds but seem to me when the truck is warm you should not have to wait on the light.
24/99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mine does the exact same thing, looking foreward to an answer as well!
SCHMOL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
If I remember right the wait to start light is to give the ECM, PCM and the VP44 to comunicate as well as the fuel heater in the fuel filter to heat up. My memory isnt the best but I think that is what I read.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR

There are a few tests to perform first before coming to any conclusions but this is a common issue. Do you hear the lift pump come on for a short burst right after you cycle the key or until the wait to start light comes on? If there is an extended delay then you most likely have a "weak" ECM that takes a few seconds to turn on. On the other hand if both the lift pump and wait to start light come on together right way then you may have a weak injection pump. I do not see what mod's either of you have but the presence of supply pressure to a weak injection pump on start up can prevent the engine from starting.

Scanning the vehicle for codes and testing to see if there is a delay from key on to ECM power up with a volt meter will help determine your fault.
Freeride202 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

When mine is stone cold the light always comes on right away and it fires right up after the wait to start light goes out. The problem arises when the truck is already warmed up and I run into a store for a half hour and come back out to restart it. The good thing is that it always does start, but you never know wether its gonna cycle through all the lights first or come on right away.
SCHMOL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOL View Post
When mine is stone cold the light always comes on right away and it fires right up after the wait to start light goes out. The problem arises when the truck is already warmed up and I run into a store for a half hour and come back out to restart it. The good thing is that it always does start, but you never know wether its gonna cycle through all the lights first or come on right away.
^What he said but my lift come on as soon as i turn the key and the truck runs strong i do not have to wait tell the light go's off as soon as it starts to show the wait to start light i can start the truck right up.The only other thing the truck does is once it hits 4th at about 60 it will lanch my but up to 80 in about 3 seconds it does not shift hard but seem like when a motor cycle hits it's power band.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR

Are you both running stock lift pumps? If not, is the pump still controlled by the stock wiring? In other words does the ECM still control when the pump comes on?

What we are trying to determine is if ECM is starting up correctly in 24/99's case. Regarding Schmol, your issue sounds temperature related as most components on the engine will increase in temperature for 20 - 30 minutes after the engine is shutdown due to the cooling system not operating. This can effect the ECM as well as the injection pump and other engine mounted sensors.

Any time I work on one of these trucks the first steps are always visually inspect, scan and test the transfer pump operation (flow and pressure).

As far as 24/99's symptom at 60mph and up shifting to 4th, I really would have to see that and know more about your truck.
Freeride202 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeride202 View Post
Are you both running stock lift pumps? If not, is the pump still controlled by the stock wiring? In other words does the ECM still control when the pump comes on?

What we are trying to determine is if ECM is starting up correctly in 24/99's case. Regarding Schmol, your issue sounds temperature related as most components on the engine will increase in temperature for 20 - 30 minutes after the engine is shutdown due to the cooling system not operating. This can effect the ECM as well as the injection pump and other engine mounted sensors.

Any time I work on one of these trucks the first steps are always visually inspect, scan and test the transfer pump operation (flow and pressure).

As far as 24/99's symptom at 60mph and up shifting to 4th, I really would have to see that and know more about your truck.
Truck has the stock lift pump and yes i do want to change it out.To my knowledge the truck is still stock except the torqu converter the guy i bought the truck from said something about a billet converter.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I'm having the same problem right now with my cousin's truck... im waiting for an answer. the relays are clicking, and there is power to everything, but no power going to grid and no wait to start light. ground is good on the grid, and i tried unhooking the IAT sensor to see if it would make the light come on, but it did nothing but trip the CEL. anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/99 View Post
On my 99 dodge my truck will not start unless the wait to start light comes on fires right up when the light does appear even if it is warm sometimes when i turn the key the light comes on and i hit the switch it fires right up and sometimes it does it's cycle through all the lights on the dash then the light comes on and it will start up.But if i try to start it before the light comes on it will just crank.we are talking just a matter of 3 to 4 seconds but seem to me when the truck is warm you should not have to wait on the light.
I had a worn out ignition switch that caused the same issue you are having
balljoint is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by balljoint View Post
I had a worn out ignition switch that caused the same issue you are having
Buddy it's funny you posted this today because a friend of mine said the same thing he said turn the key real fast and see what happens 10 times out of ten the light came right on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.