Clutch master cylinder bleeding - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Clutch master cylinder bleeding

Recently i had to replace my clutch master cylinder since the guy i bought it from jerry rigged it, i got one from advanced autoparts for my valair dual disk clutch and i cant seem to get this thing to bleed, can yall give me some direction? Thanks

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,228 Posts
you have to remove both units. go to Mopar1973Man and find instructions on the PIA procedure. I recomend replace as complete pre bleed assy for this reason. Mopar1973Man can do the job behind his back however. We tease each about best procedure. My additional reasoning is the other part will probablly go bad in next 3 months.....
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
Mopar1973Man (12-30-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
you have to remove both units. go to Mopar1973Man and find instructions on the PIA procedure. I recomend replace as complete pre bleed assy for this reason. Mopar1973Man can do the job behind his back however. We tease each about best procedure. My additional reasoning is the other part will probablly go bad in next 3 months.....
So this is MoparMan's write up have fun and good luck.

Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Hydraulic Clutch Master And Slave Cylinders Replacement
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rhagfo For This Useful Post:
Mopar1973Man (12-30-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Long before I knew Mopar Man and Cummins forum I did the same as you. Mine blew and I replace at work one afternoon. I spent a couple hours pumping the clutch pedal before I could get it in gear and spent the whole drive home pumping at every light and stop sign. It did get better every time but still took almost a week before it returned to normal. So you can do it on the truck but it is a pita. that was 2.5 years ago and it is still working fine. I have since replaced the slave, but it came with a bleeder screw.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Well do u think itd be worth going out and buying a new slave? Its at the shop and there closed this week guess ill call monday and tell them about mopars write up or if yall think itd be worth getting a new slave

Old 12-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

My oe slave was still working when I changed my tranny 4 months ago. But i changed for peace of mind. You are going to have it off anyway and the slave is not that much more money.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Cummins View Post
Well do u think itd be worth going out and buying a new slave? Its at the shop and there closed this week guess ill call monday and tell them about mopars write up or if yall think itd be worth getting a new slave

If you are paying a shop, replace the entire sealed unit, labor is going to eat you up.
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I know the guy personally and he dont charge me much, he told me hed drop my fuel tank and fix my sending unit for 70 dollars with me buying parts of course and that definitley aint bad for labor lol, but anyways i called down to advanced about getting a slave cylinder with a bleeder valve and they disnt have any, any idea where to get one? He said best thing to do is take slave off and just keep pumping the clutch till all the air comes out but thatll take a long time

Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,018 Times in 2,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Thanks guy... I'm going to have to agree with Dozer its best to replace both master and slave units together. As ofr buy a pre-bleed system you don't have too but if its cheaper go for it. But here local in Idaho they don't exist... So that why I'm a pro and seperate units and bleeding the system down.

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Since you are going to have the system out you do not need a bleeder screw on the slave. I am pretty sure Mopars article covers it without the bleeder screw.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

About replacing both of them, its not that my master cylinder went bad, i yave to replace it becauae the guy i bought it from had it jerry rigged mounted on the firewall, and because of the force it requires to push my clutch in it finally broke his method if how it was attached to the firewall and the whole assembly moves, do i still need to replace the slave since mh master iant actually bad?

Old 12-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It might last 2 weeks or 2 years it is hard to say. my slave was still working over 2 years after the master went out. i just changed mine because i had it off and it was almost 10years old.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.