47re DD/Tow Rig Research & Build - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
47re DD/Tow Rig Research & Build

I have been lurking the forums for a while on building my transmission (47re). Mine is a now 3yr old MOPAR rebuild, came that way when I bought the truck. I threw a Transgo kit in it after a year, then got injectors and put in a revmax single disc. This setup worked OK but not great.

Now I am towing heavier (22k total weight) and making a lot more power (upgraded to an Edge Juice/att and running 100hp jammers). I love the power and get decent mileage. The trans isn't going to last however...

I bought a full billet servo setup (Intermediate servo, accumulator, strut, anchor, and 4.2 ratio arm). Next I have been reading about billet input shafts, 300m isnt the most bada** option but does offer more strength at a decent price???

47RE 48RE Transmission 300M Cryo Treated Billet Input Shaft

This one in particular. Has anybody used this exact one with good success?

Thanks for your guys' input!

(UPDATE 5/22/12)
Upgrades = $2,443.50
-DTT "Master" kit (more like clutches and seals) $455
-SFI flexplate w/ ARP bolts $127 shipped, ebay
-Revmax Stage2 valvebody setup for towing/DD $349, RM
-Revmax Stage5 converter fully loaded $596(discounted my single disc), RM
-Precision Industries 300M Billet Input shaft $585 shipped, Pure Diesel Power
-Zero Leak Billet Intermediate Servo, Accumulator, band strut, anchor, lever $229.50, TCS Performance
-Superior Low/Reverse servo & pin. $49.50 shipped, eBay
-Borgwarner Governor pressure solenoid $52.50 shipped, ebay

*damaged and/or wear items below* = $577.21
-6gear alum rear planet $88.70 shipped, eBay
-Front 5 gear steel $84.94, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-OD 5 gear steel $101.52, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-Reverse Drum $71.57, WIT
-OD piston support $35.69, Transmission Parts USA
-LOW sprag $16.88, Transmission Parts USA
-OD sprag $19.97, Transmission Parts USA
-Bushing kit $33.92, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-Torington Bearing kit $56.02, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-Thrust washer kit $68.00, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-ATF $99.00 Castrol ATF+4, Autozone

Here is the Grand Total:
$3,120.18

Now here is where I blew my budget...

Unplanned items: = $731.42
*damaged parts* = $382.42
-6gear alum rear planet $88.70 shipped, eBay
-Front 5 gear steel $84.94, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-OD 5 gear steel $101.52, Snohomish Transmission(local)
-Reverse Drum $71.57, WIT (I actually think I did better than this but I can't find the invoice right now)
-OD piston support $35.69, Transmission Parts USA
Valvebody from RM (planned to use my stock VB and shiftkit) $349.00

See Page 16 for my full detail of rebuild and my opinions of some parts

Last edited by SASdakota; 06-24-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Parts list update
SASdakota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Revmax Converters

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hey there, depending upon when you bought our single we may be able to trade you in towards a triple disc and give you a substantial credit. Give us a shout and we can discuss after the holiday...
Facebook: Revmax Torque Converters

www.revmaxconverters.com

revmax is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to revmax For This Useful Post:
03DR2500VIN6 (08-08-2014)
Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Most of today's kits are very comparable because a lot of them are getting them from the same vendors. It seems that you need to keep longevity and towing in mind when designing your build. You don't have a large single turbo so I would go with a trlple disk converter a little lower then stock, that input seems like it would do fine. Go with whatever DTT or whoever your going with recommends, go with an exchanged tested Valvebody from a performance minded supplier also. Once you have a tested good VB and new sensors you'll have the added clutch pressures and hopefully the second gear lockup that most are offering today.

B0TTSR brother of PA chapter
sportster1208 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,228 Posts
Go to: 98.5-02 Tech articles> modifications>auto transmissions upgreades (post)
and:98.5-02 The market Place> Site Sponsors> Revmax converters
Good info for reading about upgrade path. Good Luck
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster1208 View Post
Most of today's kits are very comparable because a lot of them are getting them from the same vendors. It seems that you need to keep longevity and towing in mind when designing your build. You don't have a large single turbo so I would go with a trlple disk converter a little lower then stock, that input seems like it would do fine. Go with whatever DTT or whoever your going with recommends, go with an exchanged tested Valvebody from a performance minded supplier also. Once you have a tested good VB and new sensors you'll have the added clutch pressures and hopefully the second gear lockup that most are offering today.
Thank you for the reply, I am confident in my valvebody kit I have installed already as when I did the kit I had purchased a gauge to test each port for proper function/tuning. All was well at time of install and the stock converter worked quite well with just the EZ I had at the time.

Most of what I am asking about is the DTT master kit as its entirety the one stop shop for proper clutches for long life towing and if every "soft" part included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
Go to: 98.5-02 Tech articles> modifications>auto transmissions upgreades (post)
and:98.5-02 The market Place> Site Sponsors> Revmax converters
Good info for reading about upgrade path. Good Luck
Again, those are very good articles but I am asking about specific questions to DTT's master kit, and that link'd 300M billet 1 piece input/hub. Reason I ask is that I have seen 300M shafts but in a 2 piece flavor however the splines at the hub sometimes round out, so this one being a 1 piece & only 499... I think its a great deal as long as its not too good to be true.

If I am just being ignorant then please set me straight, but what I am REALLY looking for is someone who has these parts and their thoughts on the products.

And also, the last performance upgrade I plan to do for this truck is a 351VGT w/ fleece controller, hence wanting a triple and 300M 1 piece style input shaft. As for the converter I will be giving DTT a call (for the master kit's q's) and will ask about proper stalls for a towing converter. As well ask the local shop what they have run, most dodge's around here are dd/tow rigs not much Drag/Sleds around that I know of.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

SO, I have ordered one more part. I am going to give one of these a try.

12 VLV & 24 VLV 5.9L CUMMINS DODGE DIESEL " SFI " FLEX PLATE WITH ARP BOLTS | eBay

$127 shipped for a 4mm thick flexplate and ARP bolts (needed¿ probably not). That is still a pretty good deal, you can get just the plate for $74 shipped.

Giving DTT a call tomorrow to make the spendy purchase I think. (master kit & triple disc).

And calling PDP about this item.
47RE 48RE Transmission 300M Cryo Treated Billet Input Shaft

Before I do, any opinions on the upgraded steel planetary? front or OD?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Skip DTT And go with Goerend. I went with DTT and in the end it cost me a lot more. Their "Master" kit doesn't have a lot of the stuff that Goerend's kit has.... If you compare the Cost of the DTT Kit + purchase price of other stuff to make it comparable to Goerend, it's a lot more. And DTT doesn't do the Converters themselves. Goerend does. So if you end up with an issue, you don't have the run around.

I'm a dealer for both companies..... And there's a reason why I have only bought 1 transmission's worth of parts from DTT (mine).... My customer's get Goerend.

Here's my recommendation:

Goerend Triple Disc
Go for that Billet 300M shaft. I have the Sonnax 1 piece 300M (which is non cryo treated and over $700... Go figure) and have yet to break it with a good set of twins, heavy loads, and aggressive (to say the least) driving
Goerend Master Rebuild Kit. The big one that has all the bearings and everything....
Transgo TFOD-HD2 if your mechanically inclinded, or Goerend Valve body if you're not and can swing the $$.

PM me if you want and I'll give you some tips to follow so you don't repeat my mistakes....
The Following User Says Thank You to deerefanatic For This Useful Post:
joe6 (01-03-2012)
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

What's different from the goerend kit and DTT? I'd just like to know?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Goerend kit has the following that DTT kit does not:

New OD bearings (the ball bearings)
New Torrington bearings
Full bushing kit (not just the pump and direct drum bushings)
Thrust washer kit (so you can get the endplay right)
Rear band (Usually doesn't go bad any way, but it's in there)
New Overdrive sun gear (the splines can get worn and start to bind after they get some miles on em)
Flexplate stiffener
Sonnax O ring 2nd gear servo cover
Sonnax rear servo piston
Billet 2nd gear lever (3.8 ratio)
Billet band strut and anchor
Billet accumulator
Filter (yep, DTT does NOT give you a filter)
ATSG Rebuild book
I believe that's all...... To buy those parts totals an easy $400 or more...

To stick up for DTT, they give you the Billet 3rd gear piston..... But really, you can do just fine without it..... They also give you some plates to add 1 extra clutch in the OD and direct (3rd) clutch. But I'm willing to bet Goerends kit already does this, and if it doesn't, I can give you the list of 6 parts totalling about $35 that will do it for yah.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deerefanatic For This Useful Post:
03DR2500VIN6 (08-08-2014), btilson317 (01-08-2012)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Eagle colene red clutches and steels? 15 deg sungear upgrade? Upgraded planetaries?

Old 12-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerefanatic View Post
Goerend kit has the following that DTT kit does not:

New OD bearings (the ball bearings)
New Torrington bearings
Full bushing kit (not just the pump and direct drum bushings)
Thrust washer kit (so you can get the endplay right)
Rear band (Usually doesn't go bad any way, but it's in there)
New Overdrive sun gear (the splines can get worn and start to bind after they get some miles on em)
Flexplate stiffener
Sonnax O ring 2nd gear servo cover
Sonnax rear servo piston
Billet 2nd gear lever (3.8 ratio)
Billet band strut and anchor
Billet accumulator
Filter (yep, DTT does NOT give you a filter)
ATSG Rebuild book
I believe that's all...... To buy those parts totals an easy $400 or more...

To stick up for DTT, they give you the Billet 3rd gear piston..... But really, you can do just fine without it..... They also give you some plates to add 1 extra clutch in the OD and direct (3rd) clutch. But I'm willing to bet Goerends kit already does this, and if it doesn't, I can give you the list of 6 parts totalling about $35 that will do it for yah.
Well here is my thoughts on most of these parts (atleast in my situation)...

The billet strut, anchor, accum, servo I already have. Knock that off. ATSG rebuild book I hear doesn't totally cover a 47re its for a A518? And then the flex plate stiffener, I ordered a 4mm thick flexplate w/ ARP bolts so that isn't needed. Filters are what 12$? So really the things I see are Torrington bearings (A DTT converter has torringtons listed?) and the bushings/ OD bearing, and sun gear. I am behind DTT's thoughts for the 3rd gear piston, I saw the uneven wear marks and agree binding could be an issue, I personally have driven a DTT parts built 47rh transmission and I love its characteristics. So everything added up thus far makes me want to lean that direction.

One thing on the shift kit though, I already have the TFOD Diesel shift kit installed (need to check my pressures before I pull my trans). I heard also from a local builder that he likes the "reprogramming" kit, need to figure out if this is a needed upgrade or if it is even compatible with my already modified valve body.

I have been helping remodel my in-laws' house and haven't been able to make any phone calls yet but I hope to get some parts decided on real quick and ordered up while the weather in WA is decent.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster1208 View Post
Eagle colene red clutches and steels? 15 deg sungear upgrade? Upgraded planetaries?
15degree sungear isn't an upgrade it is just calling out the degree at which the teeth in the planetaries are cut. A 5 planet steel is an upgrade to the older 4 gear aluminum housing OR there is the 48re upgrade at which case you need the sun gear, planetaries and you get a 6 gear steel case. These from what I was told are not a break down upgrade as much as a wear item and the more gears you have the longer it lasts due to spreading the torque out. So if you do a lot of hwy driving, upgrade the OD sun gear to the 6 as you use it more often.

Last edited by SASdakota; 04-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
SASdakota is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.