24 valve knock.. help please... - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
24 valve knock.. help please...

ok guys, i dont really know alot bout diesels but i drive one... i have a 2000 dodge 2500, the only thing i have on it is the quadzilla adrenaline.. but i went out and started it to let it warm up, noticed it was lopping a little harder than usual.. after letting it sit there and run for 20 mins i took off, went maybe a mile down the road, truck started to sound like the piston was tryin to pound through my head so i turned around and has been parked since.. i made a video of it running and posted it to youtube but im new to the forum and have no idea how to post the video to this.. it is also smoking a little more than usual.. ive had two people tell me two different things.. one said i dropped a valve the other said i lost a tip to an injector so it was fillin my cylinder with fuel..

cummins knock - YouTube
chris_jb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Check your codes with the key trick. If you dont know how, heres how you do it: turn the key on,off,on,off,on and look at the odometer,and report back what codes you have and we'll go from there.
2001 5 speed, AEM air intake, silencer ring mia, Airdog 100, Isspro boost, pyro, & fuel pressure gauges, 4'' turbo back to 7'' tip, 40% over vp44 built by Columbus Diesel, DDP 150's, Quadzilla Adrenaline
dodgecumminsfan:) is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgecumminsfan:) For This Useful Post:
chris_jb (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

the only code it threw was p 1693
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Did you wait till it showed the p ecu codes? If it showed p pcu 1693 it means u have a a code in the ecu and have to wait till after it says p done after the p pcu. The 1693 is a companion code
2001 5 speed, AEM air intake, silencer ring mia, Airdog 100, Isspro boost, pyro, & fuel pressure gauges, 4'' turbo back to 7'' tip, 40% over vp44 built by Columbus Diesel, DDP 150's, Quadzilla Adrenaline
dodgecumminsfan:) is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah i turned it on and off twice then the third time it popped up that one code then said p done and went back to the mileage on my truck
Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

i would pull the injectors, and you can then also check the condition of the top end of the valve train.

It sounds like a bad miss and a timing knock i think. it is worth pulling the injectors and having them tested, then checking the cylinders.

PO1693 is a companion code, if you can get a scanner and plug it in and pull the codes, you do have a serious issue here.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!
pepsi71ocean is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

i bought this truck from a guy a few months ago, he had a piston melt down on him so he bought a used motor that supposed to only have like 90,000 miles on it.. ive been having some problems with it not starting in the mornings unless i had it plugged up and it hasnt dropped below 32 degrees yet, so i changed the fuel filter and i havent had to plug it up since, then this happened..
Old 12-17-2011, 01:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_jb View Post
i bought this truck from a guy a few months ago, he had a piston melt down on him so he bought a used motor that supposed to only have like 90,000 miles on it.. ive been having some problems with it not starting in the mornings unless i had it plugged up and it hasnt dropped below 32 degrees yet, so i changed the fuel filter and i havent had to plug it up since, then this happened..
he swapped the good motor into the truck?

did you check for an exhaust leak inside the engine bay?

is the exhaust smoke smell like fuel or coolant?

shoot your exhaust manifolds with a temp gun to see if all of your exhaust temps are close, if you have one that is low or runnign cold it could be a dead cylinder.

when you say hard to start does it sound like your having trouble starting it like it has no fuel? once it starts can you restart it?

you might want to pull the valve cover, and take a screw driver and put it to the engine and use it as a suto "Stethoscope" and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from, might be worth pulling the oil pan and checking the underside and the connecting rods for play.

pull the injectors and get them both pop and flow tested.

until you start pinpointing where the noise is coming from can't really help you much beyond this.

Most likely you have a dead injector, or a worn VP-44, something that is causing a timing knock or a delay in the injectors pop open time, and as such is giving you a dead cylinder and can also be the cause of this....

but only more research into this will solve your problem.
99 3500 Built DTT Auto, 600 lower TC, 3.55, 4x4, BHAF, 6" lift, ARP's, Danin Optix, Gauges, DAP 100hp sticks, FASS 95, 2LO kit, HIGH Idle, Silencer ring delete, 4" exhaust, SMARTY, 03 VW PASSAT 1.8T Big Thanks to (FTE Diesel),(DAP),(DTT) They ROCK!

Last edited by pepsi71ocean; 12-17-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

the exhaust smells like fuel, and ill check for leaks but ive never smelt anything while driving in the cab.. thanks for ur help, looks like im bout to start a tare down here soon..
Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_jb View Post
the exhaust smells like fuel, and ill check for leaks but ive never smelt anything while driving in the cab.. thanks for ur help, looks like im bout to start a tare down here soon..
no need to jump into a tear down just yet.

1. shoot your exhaust header with a temp gun, and mark your temps, (it is best to remove the serpentine belt for this to get an accurate reading from the first few cylinders)

*Since it is at idle and your engine cold, there is no worry about overheating the engine or such even when fairly warm, provided your idling and your not runnign to long if your warm.

2. pull valve cover run motor (w/o) serpentine belt at idle and use a screw driver to see if you can pinpoint where in the motor the sound is coming from.

*you don't want to fan runnign so you are not blowing crap all over your motor inside with the valve cover off.

3. do a leak down test/compression test on your motor.

4. pull injectors and have them tested.

5. pull oil pan and check for play in the connecting rods/crankshaft, look for metal deposits in the pan.

I would then check the VP-44 before i pull the head, these trucks are mechanical, so if your VP-44 is screwed up it will cause a timing issue, but since you say you smell alot of fuel out of your exhaust, i would suspect you have a bad injector that is just leaking like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to pepsi71ocean For This Useful Post:
dozer12216 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

It sounds like a fuel related issuse to me, I would do all that is stated above. I would also get yourself a code reader so that you can see what other codes you have showing.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

so i finally got my truck loaded up on a trailer and hauled it to my body shop yesterday.. and after waking up with a hang over decided to start takin off my intake and valve cover.. as soon as i got my valve cover off i seen the problem.. number one cylinder exhaust rocker was lose and the little arm thing that sets on top of my two exhaust valves was just laying there next to my intake valves.. so i got that put back on top of my exhaust valves and tightened the rocker arm and checked my clearance and then checked all my other valves and she fired right up and was back to purring like the beast she is.. thanks guys for all ur help and knowledge.. i am glad that there are still decent people in the world that like to help!!!Oh and what I called a knock is what this guy said was a miss since it was a desiel motor.. Lol

Last edited by chris_jb; 01-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.