Oil leak! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Oil leak!

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some insight on what's leaking oil on my 02 5.9, so here goes.
It started as a slow leak but has now turned into a BAD leak It's now a constant drip off the bottom of the IP and only leaks with the engine running. I've been reading a lot of threads about oil leaks from the same area and most people are finding that it's the tappet cover leaking. I can see the tappet cover and the oil is NOT coming from there, it's up higher.. Thanx in advance for any insight or advice!

Jay
02 2500 4x4 QCSB 66mm polished/stainless High Tech Turbo, Blue Chip VP44, Blue Chip FMS+Redline boxxes, I.I. 150s, FASS150, ARP studs, O-ringed head, dual solenoid NX, 5" stainless slash-cut Silverlines, BUILT 47RE and more
BiGn'NASTY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,992 Times in 2,318 Posts
The only thing I can think of higher is head gasket...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Have you physically seen it dripping off the injection pump or just from down below in that area? A very common and severe leak can develop from between the vac pump and the power steering pump and be very hard to find
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I'm actually watching it drip off the IP. I'm thinkin maybe the o-ring where the IP goes into the timing cover, but it seems like pressurized oil and the timing case isn't under oil pressure... I really hope it's not the head gasket.
02 2500 4x4 QCSB 66mm polished/stainless High Tech Turbo, Blue Chip VP44, Blue Chip FMS+Redline boxxes, I.I. 150s, FASS150, ARP studs, O-ringed head, dual solenoid NX, 5" stainless slash-cut Silverlines, BUILT 47RE and more
Old 09-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

That o ring wouldnt be much of a leak in my mind, its a pretty tight fit in the timing case anyways and not alot of oil is flung up there. Tappet cover has no pressure either anywhere. can you geta little dentists mirror and a light up top to try and see it?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
So the question is???

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Cam sensor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8440 View Post
There's a guy floating around here with 780k on his unrebuilt cummins. Now, according to duramax and ford guys, his truck should have fallen completely apart around the engine 7.8 times, since they all know that dodge trucks are junk and only last 100k before they spontaneously disassemble themselves while going down the road. That has happened to me 2.76 times, and both times I was only wearing boxers while driving so it was really embarrassing.
9612vinva is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, that's how I saw the oil dripping off the IP is with a little mirror and a light. My father has got an inspection camera and I'm gonna look at it with that before i start tearing it apart.. Still anymore ideas or info is welcome!! And thanx again for info thus far.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9612vinva View Post
Cam sensor???
Is the cam sensor up higher than the IP??
Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGn'NASTY View Post
Is the cam sensor up higher than the IP??
It's actually right beside the vp on the block. If you look behind the vp with a light you might be able to see it. I replaced mine when I put my injection pump on because it's much easier to get to with the pump off.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
So the question is???

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
could be the oil fitting for the vac pump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8440 View Post
There's a guy floating around here with 780k on his unrebuilt cummins. Now, according to duramax and ford guys, his truck should have fallen completely apart around the engine 7.8 times, since they all know that dodge trucks are junk and only last 100k before they spontaneously disassemble themselves while going down the road. That has happened to me 2.76 times, and both times I was only wearing boxers while driving so it was really embarrassing.
9612vinva is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Good news! Just started to tear into it and further inspect and found that the stud closest to the block for the IP is MIA. Started it up and watched the hole and that's where the leak is. Now i just gotta fannagle my way in there with an extention and throw a bolt in the hole and I should be back in business
Old 09-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Time to buy a lotto ticket. Whodathunk a mounting bolt hole would go all the way
through? Have to put that tidbit on the hard drive.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.