Cummins Diesel Forum banner

NV5600 to FSO6406A 6 speed Fuller

1M views 2K replies 248 participants last post by  gbcummin 
#1 · (Edited)
2001 Dodge 3500, 112,000 mi, 5.9 Cummins, 4X 4, Long Bed with NV5600 6 speed transmission. Just went out again for the 3rd time. Failures were at 82,000, 97,000 and now at 112,000. Had regular dealer service. Use it to haul a 40' gooseneck and a Case 1155E loader tipping the scales at 25,000 lbs.

Parts are really hard to find. Last time I had to buy a core for $500 just to get parts for the rebuild by a heavy truck tranny shop. Problem seems to be in the 5-6 gear section with seized bearings.

Spoke with a rebuild shop in Ohio and they have started drilling lube holes in the case and bearing shell and claim they have not had any failures since they started. Anyone have experience with this procedure???

I am changing the NV5600 out for a Fuller FSO-6406A. It has a 660 HP rating with 6th OD at .78. These ratings are close to that of the NV5600.

This is not new or innovative. The Freightliner FL 70 has used the FS6406 6 speed since '93 and Ford has used Fuller's with Cummins on the F650 and F750 since 2003.

Since Fuller never has had a married transfer case, the transfer case would have to be divorced. Need to find the correct clutch set up that is used with the medium duty truck. Would need a #2 SAE flywheel housing and 1-3/4" clutch.

Parts are readily availabe for Fuller and never have to worry about synthetic oils--should be good for 500k miles or more.

Local trans shop has a NV5600 for $1000. Needs output shaft and bearing. Synchros and all gears look good. Mine will be available as soon as I complete the change-over. I suppose someone will want pictures and part numbers.

See less See more
#766 ·
found this looking for fso6406..

just wraping up a 6.5 to dmax swap.. in a 99 3500 HD cab n chassis.. alot of good info here i can use.

#767 ·
FSO Going In

Dead Eye,

Looks like progress has been made--it's in the hole.

In order to make an easier install and not have to wrangle the weight of the FSO, it's a good idea to use threaded dowels that are 3" long or so. It makes the install a lot easier trying to mate the trans bell to the SAE 2 housing.

For those of you who want to make your own T/C adapter, the most difficult part is making the coupling shaft. The case is relatively easy. Use the Fuller Bearing retainer and a 700R4 T/ housing. The center piece just has one recess cut for the bearing retainer and the other a recess cut for the 700R4 housing. Then it's a matter of bolting the three pieces together. The bolts on the bearing retainer have to be flush. The coupling shaft can be a single piece or a two piece shaft to mate the trans output to the T/C input. The 700R4 housing has a plate for a cross member.

Thanks again for all of you who have contributed to this forum and especially this topic/post. Good info helps everyone.

paul

Reactions: FullTiltCummins
#771 ·
Ok maybe I missed something. What did you guys do for the driveline isnt the yoke bigger on the fuller? Ill be doing this swap soon the junk nv5600 crapped out on me not making that mistake again. I anyone hears of a tranny keep me in mind Im on the the TX NM border. Thanks in advance

#773 ·
To the best of my knowledge you can't get a 1.5" input for the fso6406. As far as yokes go, I used an output flange, then a 1350 series flange yoke that bolted up.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

#775 ·
I have the parking brake assembly on the back of mine with a 4 bolt flange output. The bolt pattern is the same (on mine anyhow) as the M35A2 deuce and a half, also the u joints (1410) and tube size 3" .085 are all the same (get lucky sometimes) I got a short shaft 1410 deuce and a half shaft off e bay.
Carefully removed the tube from the end with the slip shaft by grinding the weld in order to get the parts needed. The 4 bolt flange to 1410 with its 1410 joint and spline shaft, female end ect.

Now remove the end from your existing driveshaft that was connected to the 5600. Trim the tube to correct length and weld/balance.

I suggest a shaft shop do it for you if you are not 100% sure how to make a shaft.

Lots of stuff to consider when making a shaft.

#778 ·
More Whinning

W-500

Do us all a favor and go pound sand on another thread. It's obvious that you don't have a clue on what to do and most assuredly, you can't be very good at problem solving, can't read spec sheets or ask the proper questions.

You are the only one who has cried about anything. Only one person purchased the wrong item and he admitted to it, therefore there are still no issues with the information posted. You have contributed absolutely nothing and has begged for everything.

No one has to provide you with anything including pictures. If it gives you some assurance or tranquility, I'll never post them for your benefit.

Paul

#790 ·
W-500

Do us all a favor and go pound sand on another thread. It's obvious that you don't have a clue on what to do and most assuredly, you can't be very good at problem solving, can't read spec sheets or ask the proper questions.

You are the only one who has cried about anything. Only one person purchased the wrong item and he admitted to it, therefore there are still no issues with the information posted. You have contributed absolutely nothing and has begged for everything.

No one has to provide you with anything including pictures. If it gives you some assurance or tranquility, I'll never post them for your benefit.

Paul
Like you had a married adapter or a machine shop prototype to show us your problem solving skills yourself, you were defeated by your own transmission swap as you apparently think it is accceptable to drive around in a 4x4 truck with a transmission that only allows the truck to be used in 2 wheel drive. Take a look in the magic transmission swap truth mirror, this swap is a dead end until somebody gets a housing and coupling custom made up so its cost effective to install one of these trans in a 4x4 truck. You seem to forget many cant afford the extra cost and downtime and extra fabbing expense required to install the trans in the first place or lack the common sense like you did to turn a perfectfully good 4x4 truck into a 2 wheel drive truck because you could not or would not get get a group housing adapter and coupler buy going on here, you have a adapter and coupler and could have finished by installing it and testing it in your own disabled 4x4 truck now operating in 2 wheel drive but did not do so for whatever reason. Why dont you quit bashing me and answer the $64k question, why did you not get the adapter and coupler installed in your own truck and send it out after testing ito several machine shops for bids so the 4x4 guys could use this swap in a 4x4 truck?? The only pounding of sand that is going to be done is by you when you pull the 4x4 lever back when your 4x4 truck is stuck due to the lack of 4x4 with your 2 wheel drive od transmission!!!! LMFAO still!!!! Three years and still no married 4x4 truck adapter and coupler and you are still driving around in 2 wheel drive in a 4x4 truck? Like a said, its a failure until the coupler and adapter issue is ever resolved by a group buy. I never begged for anything but for you to update with phone numbers and correct part numbers and a id chart for you stale website, hit dogs always hollar they say down here!!!lol

#781 ·
Something awesome happened yesterday that made me wonder just how many people are attempting this swap that haven't made their presence known on here. I called up Global drivetrain (finally have the coin for the OD parts+rebuild kit) and when I mentioned those part numbers... the guy asked if I was doing an OD conversion, like he knew EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Chansey, you've started a huge movement and everyone here owes you their thanks.

For everyone else, if you're looking into a rebuild when you do your conversion, trust me you will only need the K-3423 basic rebuild kit unless you broke something that's not included in the kit. I cross referenced all the part numbers that are included in the various kits. All the bearings you will need are there, all the gaskets and oil seals, shims for bearing preload, and even new springs or the shift bar housing to give your shift a little more 'snap' so your shifter doesn't keep popping out of gear (like mine!).

You can lookup all the parts contained in a parts kit here:
Eaton Inforanger

#782 ·
Not sure yet I still need to pick it up it came out of a ups truck. It's my daily driver so if the 5 speed won't work maybe I shouldn't do it. It was a steal tho everything for 300 bucks but if it's going to scream at 65 then I don't need that

#783 ·
I wouldn't, unless you have HUGE tires. I turn 2000 RPM at 55mph, my top speed is about 68mph unless i'm going downhill. Trust me, you don't want it. Too bad too, because 300 is not a bad deal

#785 ·
if it includes a flywheel, the flywheel housing (bolts to be back of the engine), and a bellhousing It would probably be worth it. As far as the 5 speed goes, worst case you could call around to transmission shops and ask if they but transmission cores, that way you make some of your money back.

As far as the input mating to that flywheel, the three important things are that the flywheel bolts up to the crank, it's 14" and you can put that size of clutch on it (discs are a 10-spline), and the pilot bearing in the flywheel needs to measure either 25mm or 30mm inside the inner race- whichever one it is, it has to match the pilot tip on the input shaft of your transmission. The only two input shafts they have for the FSO6406 are both 1.75", one has a 25mm pilot tip, the other has a 30mm tip.

#786 ·
Fuller Bargain

James Dean,

You can't find the flywheel housing and flywheel for $300.00. You'll save another $75.00 on a clutch core (some cases) If is a 10 spline you can have it rebuilt for about 1/2 the cost of new ($300-$450).

Then there's the transmission. Use it for trading stock or sell it outright, should get between $500 to $750.

I wouldn't pass it up--too much value.

Paul

#787 ·
Paul,
I have a double disc clutch in my truck simply because I got a commercial engine complete with all but the 6 speed transmission.

Have you driven with both a single and double, and if so is there a difference in driveability?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

#788 ·
Paul,
Thank you for the reply. That was my thought on the whole deal I'll sell the five speed and keep trying to find a 6406a or a 8406A I thought it was a good deal 300 bucks and I have everything except the tranny now to install. I think I'll be the first 3rd gen with a fuller.

#792 ·
Drivers side FH

I have installed an fs5306 in my 93. the troubles I am having is the tight clearances between the starter and exhaust. does anyone know of a housing that will put that starter on the driver side. Thanks
The 3921296 Flywheel Housing has the starter on the driver's side and is the most readily available--mid 90's

Reactions: tomeyer
#791 · (Edited)
Whimper, cry & feel sorry for me

W-500

THE IDIOT DOESN'T KNOW HE'S AN IDIOT UNTIL SOMEONE TELLS HIM. YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

IF THERE IS A VILLAGE MISSING ITS IDIOT, W-500 IS AVAILABLE

ps FYI--THE ADAPTER WORKS EXTREMELY WELL.

#793 ·
There is one thing about this thread that puzzles me greatly.

Can someone explain to me the thinking behind W500 feeling that just because someone on this site does something to their truck, that they OWE it to everybody else on this site to hand them the knowledge so they can do the same to their truck?

That is like walking up to a competition puller with who knows how much time, sweat and money tied up in a winning truck and DEMANDING that they give you their secrets to building H.P.

The fact that a tranny has been identified, with all the necessary parts to convert to OD if needed, and bell housing/clutch info posted, will save many people lots of time and effort. Any competent home fabricator can make the needed adapter.

W500, if this work is beyond your skill level, there are two other brands of HD pick-up available. There are also options for rebuilding your stock tranny, or swapping in an automatic. Maybe you should troll another thread or web site, the bulk of the useless posts here are yours, or in answer to your needless whining.

#794 ·
There is one thing about this thread that puzzles me greatly.

Can someone explain to me the thinking behind W500 feeling that just because someone on this site does something to their truck, that they OWE it to everybody else on this site to hand them the knowledge so they can do the same to their truck?

That is like walking up to a competition puller with who knows how much time, sweat and money tied up in a winning truck and DEMANDING that they give you their secrets to building H.P.

The fact that a tranny has been identified, with all the necessary parts to convert to OD if needed, and bell housing/clutch info posted, will save many people lots of time and effort. Any competent home fabricator can make the needed adapter.

W500, if this work is beyond your skill level, there are two other brands of HD pick-up available. There are also options for rebuilding your stock tranny, or swapping in an automatic. Maybe you should troll another thread or web site, the bulk of the useless posts here are yours, or in answer to your needless whining.

Why dont you show us your home fab skills and post some pictures up of your married coupler adapter and splined shaft since any competent home fab guy can make one up??? Or are you going to follow the rest of the sheep on here and install the transmission and just drive it in 2 wheeldrive like chainey and the rest of the herd do?? Surely you dont need 4x4 in a truck in alaska?? We been waiting for years for somebody to get the married adapter coupler and splined shaft group buy going, post up some pics when you make one in your garage or anywhere willya willis?? Another case of I read it on the net and its got thousands of hits so its a great swap??? The point is, has been, and will continue to be that the swap is worthless for a 4x4 truck due to having to convert from a married transfercase to a divorced transdercase, fab up new driveshafts, a new crossmember, and then find somebody to getto rig the whole thing in somehow and waste 2 or 3 months trying to deceiper the missing part numbers, lack of phone numbers, lack of pictures of the install of the od gears and even a machine shop that chainey could have got to make the married adapter availble to for purchase in a group buy here. I predict that there will never be a group buy of a married adapter, coupler and splined shaft ever offered on this thread, its been almost 4 years so far right now!!!lol

#795 · (Edited)
Here we go again

W-500 IS STILL AT IT

Show ME your fab skills

Show ME some Pictures

WE have been waiting for years for SOMEONE .........

Post up some pictures of YOUR adapter

The point is, has been, and will continue to be that the SWAP IS WORTHLESS for a 4x4 truck

Convert from a married transfercase to a divorced transdercase, fab up new drive shafts, a new crossmember, and then find somebody to getto rig the whole thing in somehow and waste 2 or 3 months trying to deceiper the missing part numbers

Lack of phone numbers, LACK OF PICTURES of the install of the od gears and even a machine shop that chainey could have got to make the married adapter availble to for purchase in a group buy here

I predict that THERE WILL NEVER BE a group buy of a married adapter, coupler and splined shaft ever offered on this thread, its been almost 4 years so far right now!!!lol

Our resident VILLAGE IDIOT is laughing .........to and at himself. Look at his last post. Nothing positive and very evident that he can not read well or even accomplish a simple task. Is anyone out there willing to show this IDIOT how to use a mechanical hydraulic press to remove and install a gear on a shaft------he wants pictures. Did some one show him pictures of a bathroom and then have a graphic showing how to use toilet paper??

If all this information is useless, why is he still here whining, crying and begging for someone to hand him everything he wants.

I recently started getting some replies from our overseas affiliates on producing the two piece coupler. The bearing retainer and T/C mount will be about 8" long. The whole thing only adds 2" to what would be the original setup. They want me to make a model to send to them to cast the housing.

I'll be out of commission starting on June 14, 2012 for a total knee replacement. I'll ask the doc for the spare parts and donate them to W-500. Someone have an address, a phone number or know of some way to send a UPS package to the IDIOT.

Paul

#798 ·
W-500 IS STILL AT IT

Show ME your fab skills

Show ME some Pictures

WE have been waiting for years for SOMEONE .........

Post up some pictures of YOUR adapter

The point is, has been, and will continue to be that the SWAP IS WORTHLESS for a 4x4 truck

Convert from a married transfercase to a divorced transdercase, fab up new drive shafts, a new crossmember, and then find somebody to getto rig the whole thing in somehow and waste 2 or 3 months trying to deceiper the missing part numbers

Lack of phone numbers, LACK OF PICTURES of the install of the od gears and even a machine shop that chainey could have got to make the married adapter availble to for purchase in a group buy here

I predict that THERE WILL NEVER BE a group buy of a married adapter, coupler and splined shaft ever offered on this thread, its been almost 4 years so far right now!!!lol

Our resident VILLAGE IDIOT is laughing .........to and at himself. Look at his last post. Nothing positive and very evident that he can not read well or even accomplish a simple task. Is anyone out there willing to show this IDIOT how to use a mechanical hydraulic press to remove and install a gear on a shaft------he wants pictures. Did some one show him pictures of a bathroom and then have a graphic showing how to use toilet paper??

If all this information is useless, why is he still here whining, crying and begging for someone to hand him everything he wants.

I recently started getting some replies from our overseas affiliates on producing the two piece coupler. The bearing retainer and T/C mount will be about 8" long. The whole thing only adds 2" to what would be the original setup. They want me to make a model to send to them to cast the housing.

I'll be out of commission starting on June 14, 2012 for a total knee replacement. I'll ask the doc for the spare parts and donate them to W-500. Someone have an address, a phone number or know of some way to send a UPS package to the IDIOT.

Paul

Paul good luck with the operation, 2 inches would allow the keeping of the orginal crossmember and the orginal transfercase with minor driveshaft mods and make it a price competive swap for the 4x4 guys. You should have done this years ago instead of driving around in 2 wheel drive in a 4 wheel drive truck because you gettoed the swap in the first place. I hope the doctor does not follow your swap ideas about the fuller or else you will be walking on a peg leg due to no adapter or coupler to finish the knee replacment. Seriously, get going and let us know when u get the adapter coupler and splined shafted for sale, will be the 2 second to buy one if it ever is made in my lifetime. Hopefully you will get this done in a faster manner than the previous timeframe and make some good money from it. Just think, if you get it done you can finally hook up the 4x4 in your truck and not have to pound sand when u get stuck and forget you can not use the front 4x4 axle in your truck!!! You might send the sample up to ak as he claims he can make it in his McGuiver garage out of a bar of soap and alaska tundra. Best wishes with your knee operation!!!

#797 ·
W500, I understand you think this is a worthless swap. You've said that... do you have any better ideas for a tranny for these trucks?
I am not in need of a different transmission for my truck as my 5600 is currently operating fine. I'm in this thread because I enjoy reading about people doing things differently. Most people on this thread are contributing helpful information.

You're not.

Hence my question, why do you feel as if someone owes you an adapter?