Drop Tank or Lift Bed? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Drop Tank or Lift Bed?

Hey All-

I am needing to check to see if I am getting air in the fuel from the drawstraw or lines previous to the Rapor - Seem like we are getting air into the system.

What is easier, dropping the tank (1/4 full) or lifting the bed?

Thanks!
'01 3500 Club Cab Dually 4x, 6 speed manual. 24v 5.9, Banks system,high Ram intake, Otto Computer, big head turbo wastegate, Turbo,Pyro, fuel pressure Gauges, Monster 4" Banks Exhaust w/ Exhaust Brake, Raptor 150, Draw staw and big lines to VP. Level kit.
Zcarbri is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I had a fuel pick-up problem in the spring and raised the bed to fix it. Drop the spare remove the 8 bolts a gnd strap and unplug your tail lts. You'll need atleast 1 assiatant 2 would be better. I raised the bed slid it back and supported it w/jackstands on the frame. Its not any easier than dropping the tank but I liked working on it that way you could see everything w/out slicing your head open
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Well....
I dont know how to drop the tank, but I have swapped beds... Its not that tough, but the SOB is freakin heavy...
The bed is held on the truck with 8 bolts through the bottom.. Just lay on the ground and look up..4 each side.. one will be by the trailer hitch in the frame rail, the next one is a few feet forward, then the remaining two are in front of the wheel on the outside of the frame rail.
Remove the tailights and drop the harness down through the metal work, and disconnect the two plugs on the drivers side near the frame rail in the back and the marker light harness comes off with the bed.
Remove the fuel door, then the 3 screws that hold the filler neck to the fender.. Remove the hose clamps from the filler tube for the tank and remove.
Have about two freinds minimum ready to help you lift the bed out of the way.
BoostedOne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

When I did my raptor and drawstraw, I unbolted the bed and then used two floor jacks and blocks and lifted the front corners of the bed enough to get in there and work. It was easy and quick, just lowered the jacks back down and bolted bed back down, did it without any extra help
Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 3,018 Times in 2,340 Posts
Mine was really easy... I got a bunch of beer, a friend, and place a beer in one hand and a camera in the other and documented how it was done... I didn't have to do a thing...

Mopar1973Man is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Mopar1973Man For This Useful Post:
gqrealtor (07-18-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Mine was really easy... I got a bunch of beer, a friend, and place a beer in one hand and a camera in the other and documented how it was done... I didn't have to do a thing...

When is your friend's days off and what beer does he drink?
Old 07-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Yup thats what happened to me, the tank fell on me and i cut my finger and messed up my thumb. The 2nd time was much better, two people and a floor jack acting like the third. On my truck a 2wd short bed i had to drop a cross member to fit the tank out but it wasnt to hard.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

That tank was empty... Even drink beer we were smart enough to pump the fuel into 5 gallon buckets.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,228 Posts
My gooseneck hitch is bolted to frame and bed. Removal is very difficult, so droped tank. When dropping tank, be carefull and don't destroy fuel line connections or damage fuel module... removing or tilting bed up would be a better option if possible.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
My gooseneck hitch is bolted to frame and bed. Removal is very difficult, so droped tank. When dropping tank, be carefull and don't destroy fuel line connections or damage fuel module... removing or tilting bed up would be a better option if possible.
Way to get around that problem is simple. Loosen the collar nut on the sender and allow the sender to come up and out of the tank as the tank is lowered to the floor. Once the tank is on the floor then you can remove the sender from the tank gently and the work with ease to remove the fuel lines from the sender.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas 24 valve View Post
Yup thats what happened to me, the tank fell on me and i cut my finger and messed up my thumb. The 2nd time was much better, two people and a floor jack acting like the third. On my truck a 2wd short bed i had to drop a cross member to fit the tank out but it wasnt to hard.
Next time I am going to try to tilt the bed. Broke one bolt off and then a drill bit off in that bolt Only thing is I have a topper.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I dropped the tank. It was easy. Before unbolting it I built something really easy to build and simple. It was essentially a wide ladder, that I chained to a branch in a tree. It was about 12 feet long, and I had it in the tree chained about 3 feet from the truck. I slid the ladder under the truck, and had my fiance' sit on the end sticking out. That raised the part under the truck to the tank, and I unbolted the tank, it sat on the ladder and she got off it slowly lowering it to the ground.

Then you can just swing it out. Oh the truck is up on blocks to get some height under it.

Chris
5.8LiterImportEater is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.