Buying 01 with bad injector pump - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Buying 01 with bad injector pump

I have found a guy that says that he has a 01 ram 2500 automatic that is not running because his injector pump went out and he doesn't have the cash to fix it. I own a 2000 Chevy 1500 silverado that kbb.com says is worth right at $8000 and he is willing to trade straight across. The risk I am taking is that I have to take his word that it is, in fact, the injector pump that is bad. Any thought or hints on how I can ensure this is the problem? I priced out a new injector pump, lift pump, and the gear tool from www.DieselAutoPower.com and I come in at $1275 for the entire package. That puts the purchase price of this truck effectively at $9275 which seems like a pretty good deal to me.......if the injector pump is what is wrong. After perusing this site it seems that this is a likely scenario. I am nervous about this though. Would you take this deal?
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

People are gonna ask mileage on the other truck and if the guy knows it's the pump he shouldn't have a problem with u having shop make sure that's what it is or a buddy of yours that's friendly with diesels look at it. If he is hesitant about those then I would maybe think there's more to it.
WVdieselboy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
In theory, this sounds like a good idea... Until you start thinking about it.

The problem is, what if the Dodge has other problems... Like what if you get that new injector pump on and turn the engine over, once she's running great, you pop the transmission in gear and find out that the transmission is toast...

Or what if you fire the Dodge up and it has a rod knock or something...

What I'd do is get some sample kits from Blackstone Labs. Send them a sample of engine oil and transmission fluid. (Provided that it's been in there at least a thousand miles.) They'll send you a report that says how many metal particles or bits of burned clutch they've found in there. That'll let you know the health of things. A compression check of the engine wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

No go. Consider any engine trashed that you can't start & hear running. Broke owners will say anything. It is not your job to diagnose in front of the owner who may suddenly decide to raise the price if it turns out to be something simple ie air in lines. Even if they are honest, you can't trust their diagnosis. You could scan it and see if you have any VP codes.

There are also other things like suspension & steering that need to be addressed. Search all of the track bar, steering threads for details.

Not running with no documented history, price engine, VP (depending on whatou know about replacement) & $2000 for steering & gauges. Tires are $600+. Don't forget to include something for your time.

If it is only the VP, let him fix it & then buy it. Oh....he can't afford to fix it...which means that he probably couldn't afford to maintain it. We're back to needing the repairs above.

I doubt an 00 1500 Chevy is worth $8,000. If it is, I'll get one for sale.

Last edited by Junkman; 05-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Junkman is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkman For This Useful Post:
REF>Lancer (05-27-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

In reference to the value of my Chevy truck: 2000 Chevrolet Used Car Prices, Reviews - Kelley Blue Book Kbb is a great guide but not the bible when it comes to truth in values. This truck he is selling regularly goes for 11-13k in our area even though kbb says it is worth 7-9k. Some vehicles....small pickups, dodge diesels, Honda cars stc, consistently go for more than kbb in our area. Chevy & Fords PU's tend to go for right around what kbb says. I can pull up 10 craigslist adds for truck very similar to mine and justify the kbb value.

The owner does address some of the issues you all of brought up. He has receipts for the tranny being rebuilt a year ago with "upgrades and a torque converter" a year ago and it was serviced 3 weeks ago. New app sensor installed by dodge dealer 4000 miles ago, and a lift pump 22,000 miles ago.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to get all of you to join my side I am appreciative of your insights and am just trying to talk through this as a possible deal. I am in a unique situation that I have a truck that has a certain value and I am trying to replace it with something that can haul more weight without dropping cash, if possible. I listing my truck for sale soon and will use the cash proceeds to buy a cummins but if I can pull of a deal like this one, and it goes well, then I could end up with a truck that is worth more than my silverado. Can't blame a gut for trying to get ahead a bit, right? LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

I say go for it. Im still a firm believer in horse trading and bartering. I would agree with checking it for codes but in my opinion its worth the risk. I just bought a 99 3500 ext cab 4x4 5spd for $3100. The guy was asking 3500 and when I first went to look at it it wouldn't start. After some jewing maneuvers he replaced both batts the altenator starter and threw in the mechanics bed with it. After the first test drive I noticed the lift pump not putting out enough pressure and he offered to knock 400 off the price. I ended up getting.the truck and selling the mech bed for $1000 and throwing on a regular dually bed I had behind my shop. I've already replaced everyhing in the steering and the cps and the trucks still running strong. Im willing to take the risk sometimes. But be your own judge.
sixten is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan96 View Post
The owner does address some of the issues you all of brought up. He has receipts for the tranny being rebuilt a year ago with "upgrades and a torque converter" a year ago and it was serviced 3 weeks ago. New app sensor installed by dodge dealer 4000 miles ago, and a lift pump 22,000 miles ago.
This changes the situation dramatically.

Talk to the guy that rebuilt the transmission and serviced it a few weeks ago. Ask him how it ran and what was done to the trans.

This seems like a better deal now that we know that it doesn't (shouldn't) have major drivetrain issues.

Though the lift pump doesn't mean squat if it's factory. Get an upgraded one when you put on the new VP44.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

An update: I decided to go ahead with the deal. I ordered a lift pump and an injection pump from www.diesleautopower.com. The guy agreed to some terms that make this easier to take the risk. He agreed to let me drive to his house and after he checks out my truck he will let me put in the replacement pump and verify his truck is what he says. If it turns out to have other issues then I will take my new pump back out and reinstall his old one and bail on the deal. My attorney friend is drafting a short agreement that he is willing to sign before I begin. Bottom line is that my risk is limited to the cost of the pumps and a day of driving & wrenching. Wish me luck.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Im shure Jkidd can refund you if thats the case..or sell it on here someone will buy
Heath@HotrodDiesel
Stefan@DTT
JKIDD@DieselAutoPower
Jamie@CumminsPerformanceParts
cummminsV12 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummminsV12 View Post
Im shure Jkidd can refund you if thats the case..or sell it on here someone will buy
He agreed to take it back if the guy bails on me before the big swap happens, which is very cool of him. If I put it in the truck and then remove it I would not ask to return it but instead sell it here. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

That was fun while it lasted. The day after I order the pumps the dyckwad send me an email saying never mind, deal is off. Luckily the awesome people at www.DieselAutoPower.com are stand up guys. They were able to turn the shipment around and have already refunded my money minus the shipping costs they paid, of course. So my quest continues for a deal on a cummins....
Old 05-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan96 View Post
That was fun while it lasted. The day after I order the pumps the dyckwad send me an email saying never mind, deal is off.

i hope you don't take offense to this, but it's because you screwed around. somebody else came along and bought the truck without making it a hassle for him.
iniviate is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.