transmission problems - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
transmission problems

I have a 1999 Dodge cummins. It doesnt want to shift into 3rd. I have to rev it up then let off the accelerator pedal then it will shift.Seems to be worse when cold.Truck has 133000 miles on it any ideas?
dslacy is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dslacy For This Useful Post:
lanceunkovich (10-07-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

mine did the same i was told on here to put in a gov pressure selonid and it worked still shifts fine its been 2 months all good now when i pulled the pan mine had about 1/4 shot glass of metal so i know mine needs to be rebuilt so thats commin soon but i have heard of people putting 4,5,6 in their transmission before they rebuild so i would try that and see where it gets you
dslacy (01-10-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
might pm a mod and have this thread moved to the 98.5-02 powertrain section for better exposure!
jakethesnake is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,257 Posts
The first would be replace of speed sensor on left side, rear of tranny. It $20 or so and difficult to diagnois. cheap.
Does it shift into 4th and lockup normally?? If delays shifting into 4th also the governor pressure solenoid is a good possibility...
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
dslacy (01-10-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you know how much the part is and how difficult it is to change? Thank you for the info
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by logon444 View Post
mine did the same i was told on here to put in a gov pressure selonid and it worked still shifts fine its been 2 months all good now when i pulled the pan mine had about 1/4 shot glass of metal so i know mine needs to be rebuilt so thats commin soon but i have heard of people putting 4,5,6 in their transmission before they rebuild so i would try that and see where it gets you
Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,257 Posts
I recomend the OE part from dealership. Yes it costs more but have had better success with genuine parts...Go online with a MOPAR parts store and check price. some of our vendors handle them also.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

it wasnt hard to replace just pull the pan (get filter and pan gasket before) if i remember right its under the filter but there is like a circle cage that has 4 screws take those out and bull the electrical connector then pull it out put the new one in (remember lube up the orings with trans fluid before re installing ) put it back to gether check the fluid drive it
Old 01-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it's the sensor that communicates with the ECM, you shouldn't have to pull the pan. It's about a 10 minute process.

TinSoldier
Glenn.Lewis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can check the Diagnotic Code for proper troubleshooting. Use the ignition swith to cycle the OBDII trouble code. Turn on the Ignition to the Run (Not Start) position , then Off, Run, Off, Run. The Trouble Code will show up in the Odometer. It may be the Transmission Speed Sensor that communicates with the ECM (Computer Module.)

TinSoldier
Glenn.Lewis is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Lewis View Post
If it's the sensor that communicates with the ECM, you shouldn't have to pull the pan. It's about a 10 minute process.
You dont have to pull the pan to do the VSS... But as dozer told me, jack up the rear end first or you could take a bath in tranny fluid.
You do have to pull the pan for the gov pressure sender. The gov press sender and the gov solenoid are bolted to the same block which bolts to the valve body.
You dont *have* to take off the filter, but I would. Unhook the connectors, remove 4(I think) 7/16" headed bolts and two(I think) torx bolts with a T25 bit, and the whole governer block comes off with the sensor and the solenoid.
The "cage" logon refers to is what actually holds the solenoid in the case. You will see a groove in the solenoid that the cage slides into.
The pressure sensor is held in place with a "m" washer. It will make sense when you see it.

If you are pumping alot of crap through there, here is a mod I read about on another site. You will have to register to see the photos. Its an easy mod to do while you are working with the components that wont hurt anything.

DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Lewis View Post
You can check the Diagnotic Code for proper troubleshooting. Use the ignition swith to cycle the OBDII trouble code. Turn on the Ignition to the Run (Not Start) position , then Off, Run, Off, Run. The Trouble Code will show up in the Odometer. It may be the Transmission Speed Sensor that communicates with the ECM (Computer Module.)
The key on off on off on thing doesnt work on the 99...

Last edited by BoostedOne; 01-18-2011 at 09:17 AM.
BoostedOne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslacy View Post
I have a 1999 Dodge cummins. It doesnt want to shift into 3rd. I have to rev it up then let off the accelerator pedal then it will shift.Seems to be worse when cold.Truck has 133000 miles on it any ideas?
Yep change the electronics,govenor pressure sensor and shift solenoid,might as well change fluid and filter and adjust bands while your right there.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.