Synthetic Power steering Fluid - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Synthetic Power steering Fluid

I read a post here recently about the power steering squeeling on cold days. The solution was to use synthetic fluid. Having purchased my truck in September and not knowing what is in it, I went in to NAPA and asked for synthetic power steering fluid and the clerk asked what year dodge. Mine is an 02 diesel, 6 speed manual and completely stock. He said that ATF+4 was recommended and that is what he uses, his is a 99. So I am posing the question to this forum, is ATF+4 what I should go with?
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

People on here have used ATF+4 with success but they always say "at your own risk". The manual says not to use ATF at all. I live in FRIGID COLD, right now it's -20*C and I don't run synthetic. Not because I didn't want to, it just wasn't available when I did steering pump etc this year without buying a whole case (kind of a waste when I only needed 3 or 4 litres). So anyways, I run normal PS fluid and my steering is perfect now. I think the biggest issue is to change out as much as you can once a year and the pump will last a long time.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I run and recommend AMSOIL Power Steering Fluid. I run it and my pump complains a ton less in severe cold.

For an easy fluid change, try the AMSOIL Fluid Extraction Pump.

-Chuck

Duluth Diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

And Amsoil Synthetic PS fluid is what I wanted to run but it's hard to obtain. Tried the Royal Purple route too but that's where they wanted me to purchase a case (hell they didn't even know Royal Purple made a synthetic PS fluid!).
Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Your friendly Cummins Forum AMSOIL Sponsor (ahem...) can take care of ya. Send me a PM if I can help. I can't post pricing on the open forums.

-Chuck

Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Diesel View Post
Your friendly Cummins Forum AMSOIL Sponsor (ahem...) can take care of ya. Send me a PM if I can help. I can't post pricing on the open forums.

-Chuck
Ever heard of "Death by Shipping"? Yeah, that's what our wallets experience up here in Canada for anything couriered across the line. If it can't be shipped USPS/Canada Post, it's really not worth it.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman76 View Post
Ever heard of "Death by Shipping"? Yeah, that's what our wallets experience up here in Canada for anything couriered across the line. If it can't be shipped USPS/Canada Post, it's really not worth it.
I can ship direct to you from our warehouses in Toronto and Edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppg pilot View Post
I read a post here recently about the power steering squeeling on cold days. The solution was to use synthetic fluid. Having purchased my truck in September and not knowing what is in it, I went in to NAPA and asked for synthetic power steering fluid and the clerk asked what year dodge. Mine is an 02 diesel, 6 speed manual and completely stock. He said that ATF+4 was recommended and that is what he uses, his is a 99. So I am posing the question to this forum, is ATF+4 what I should go with?
I have ATF+4 in mine for 3 years now. No issues, but I too warn people about its use. Don't want to tell somebody to do something that has potential shortcomings.

So with that said you could use your standard power steering fluid and add LubeGuard power steering fluid protectant. Lots of guys don't even flush the old, just add the LubeGuard. My Napa stores has it out here, but you have to ask for it as they keep it in the back. It's a tiny bottle (4oz), and is probably prone to walking out of the store. Anybody who has used it has reported great results. At the very least if you get the old fluid flushed with new you will probably notice much better performance.

Oh and a cheap baster will work great to remove the old fluid from the reservoir.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,195 Posts
I have used Valvoline PS fluid with great success. Add 1/2 bottle of the Lubegurad PS from NAPA if needed. You must get nearly all old fluid out. ATF+4 is not recomended for 2002 and prior. It will aireate due to system. I have posted a procedure for rehabilitate of a noisy pump previouslly. IT WORKS..
If your system does not have a PS cooler, you should consider especially with larger tires.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Filled Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Diesel View Post
I can ship direct to you from our warehouses in Toronto and Edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll keep ya in mind if I end up changing the PS fluid next year. Right now it's a bit chilly to be working outside on things that don't have to be done.

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman76 For This Useful Post:
Duluth Diesel (12-17-2010)
Old 12-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I think they were smoking bad meth when they dissed ATF for the power steering. My pump ran like crap and I blew out a hydroboost last year running non synth psf that was rated for Chrysler products. Now, I'm running ATF+4 and no more steering issues or braking issues...and we've already been down to -30.

If you're looking for Amsoil power steering fluid, it may be available at your local Peevey mart. They sell a variety of Amsoil products.
'00 Quad Cummins 4x4 Shortbox, Was Silver. From AZ to AB. 50hp Edge Jammers, Adrenaline w/ Pulse, Raptor, Dodge Steering Stabilizer, Luke's Link, Leer tonneau, BFG T/A's, Isspro FPG, Transgo, FAILED DTT billet single., Excellent Diamond T Low Stall
JoeCanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.