OD operation in 47RE - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
OD operation in 47RE

Ok, Im new to Dodge so I'm trying to get used to how things work. So please excuse the newb questions.

Anyhow, I just got a 99 3500. Since I got it from the auction I don't have any info on the truck other than the carfax and what I see. Its a 99 ext cab 4wd with 270K on the clock.

Im wondering just what makes the tranny go into OD? Or what conditions must be met? Reason is, because the truck runs great and strong. Steering seems tight, suspension feels good. 4wd works great.

Problem? In the limited time I had to mess with it, found the OD is not working. I offloaded the truck off the trailer, and drove it around the property a bit. THen went in the house for a while. THen wanted to take the boys out in it so I drove it around where we live a bit which is all dirt roads for about a mile and a half, so I couldnt get over about 20mph. Took it out to the hard road and everything seemed great. 1st to 2nd, shifted perfect. 2nd to 3rd, shifted perfect. But the faster I went, nothing happened, like it was a 3 speed.

Im doubting its the clutches or anything because its not like it slips or goes into neutral, its more like the tranny just doesn't know its supposed to go to the next gear.

I did some searching, and see posts talking about the speed sensor in the trans. I see some other stuff about solenoids. I also saw ONE post mention a temp sensor of some sort, but there was no response.

Would I be correct to assume that if it was a solenoid that the tranny would try to shift, but not make it(like go into neutral or something?)
One reason why I dont just jump on the speed sensor thing is because I think I read it will affect not only OD? In my case everything but OD seems to be fine(although I can't say if its locking up in 3rd either...hitting the od button on the shifter does nothing).

I think I read something about the temp sensor not allowing it until the temp was above a certain point?

It was cold that day, but I unfortunately also found out that the truck has a cracked radiator and didnt have much if any coolant in it... explains why the heat never did much.

Also unfortunately I only had that breif time to mess with it before having to leave town for funerals. Was just gonna wait till I got back but its really botherin me wondering and wanting to try to get a list of things to do when I get back.. And multiple trips to the parts store is not fun(iits about 20 miles away) and not really made of money this time of year.
BoostedOne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
what rear end? and what is the revs at say 60 mph?
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Thumbs up

Hey Boost, I'm no trans expert but let me offer this up...I have a 95 ranger that was doing the same thing. Everything was working fine except for OD couldn't get it to engage. Prior to that I had my radiator replaced and the new radiator apparently came with a new trans cooler..somekind of aftermarket deal. Unbeknownst to me my mechanic put this damn thing in and didn't tell me. I was about to junk it (220000 on it) when I decided to poke around under the hood and saw a bunch of hoses unattached that originally went to the factory trans cooler. Detached the new one and hooked everything back up and voila....truck ran like new again. I guess either the new one didn't have enough flow or heat transfer to cool the trans fluid but I thougt this anecdote might help. good luck. p.s. I've been asking questions on this forum about my 47re and seems no one has any answers unless you're talking about codes and .......
Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
CRAZY CARL

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,487 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Codes are often the best way to diagnose the issue. The 47RE IS an electronically controlled transmission and each sensor speed/temp/APPS/ect have an affect on how it operates. The trans also has failsafes that include a "limp" mode which disables OD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdwuxoSHsSo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER9ddBIseTo
TURBOLVR is online now   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TURBOLVR For This Useful Post:
BoostedOne (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,257 Posts
Since it seems to shift O'K in lower gears, I doubt the governor pressure solenoid is bad.
first would be replace the speed sensor on left rear of tranny. It inhibits OD if no signal received. Cheaper to replace than try and diagnois. Park truck downhill or get a atf bath on removing.
Also check for codes relaying to OD circuit. This would hint the wiring is fubarred or OD and or LU solenoid is suspect. If no codes than a mechancial problem with solenoids may be indicated. Drop pan and lookee see for condition.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
BoostedOne (12-17-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

OD off swith problem? (assuming it has one)
03 2500 SO QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, frame mount 3 Micron filter W/Water Separator, Big line kit "Wild Cat Version" 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet convertor, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator.
dhoagland is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraznguy View Post
what rear end? and what is the revs at say 60 mph?
I'd have to wait til I see the truck again to answer with any accuracy. But the revs seemed to be getting up there(2500-3K? Its hard for me to say, I am more used to looking at the tach in my Ford... But I wanna say the needle was pointing about 1:30-2:00), and I was only going about 50mph if I recall correctly. I do know that even working properly it will take a little adjustment for me since my other truck is an OBS F350 crew cab on 42" tires, and it still has 4.10 gears... So my ears are used to a sound of just lugging along even at 70-75... The dodge is still running the stock size Michelin street tires(and its gonna stay that way LOL...)... I don't have a clue what gear is in it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyew View Post
Hey Boost, I'm no trans expert but let me offer this up...I have a 95 ranger that was doing the same thing. Everything was working fine except for OD couldn't get it to engage. Prior to that I had my radiator replaced and the new radiator apparently came with a new trans cooler..somekind of aftermarket deal. <SNIP>
Yeah, I was wondering about that, since thats why I threw in the part about the radiator and temp sensor. I was going to expand on my thoughts but it was in the middle of the night when I posted and the baby wasnt feeling good so I was tryin to get done before he woke up the woman and gave me hell about being up on the computer.

But yeah, since there was little coolant circulating, maybe by the time I was on the hard road maybe the trans fluid was hot.. or if it uses coolant temp to decide, then maybe it thought the engine was still too cold. Either way, new radiator is being dropped off today and hopefully I will get it put in on Sunday after I get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
OD off swith problem? (assuming it has one)
The OD button on the shifter is problematic on these things too??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer12216 View Post
Since it seems to shift O'K in lower gears, I doubt the governor pressure solenoid is bad.
first would be replace the speed sensor on left rear of tranny. It inhibits OD if no signal received. Cheaper to replace than try and diagnois. Park truck downhill or get a atf bath on removing.
Also check for codes relaying to OD circuit. This would hint the wiring is fubarred or OD and or LU solenoid is suspect. If no codes than a mechancial problem with solenoids may be indicated. Drop pan and lookee see for condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOLVR View Post
Codes are often the best way to diagnose the issue. The 47RE IS an electronically controlled transmission and each sensor speed/temp/APPS/ect have an affect on how it operates. The trans also has failsafes that include a "limp" mode which disables OD.
Ok, so I went to NAPA while up here in GA and bought the sensor. The guy asked me input sensor or output?? Do they have a sensor for the input shaft speed too? I ended up buying the "atp/output speed sensor".
Link to the sensor I got. Does that look like the right one?

What does APPS mean?

I'm going to throw this out there. Not sure if its related or not, but although the cruise control lights up on the cluster when cruise is powered on, it won't actually take over. But I would assume cruise uses the diff speed sensor, and the speedo works so its prolly a different problem.

So heres my current plan for when I get home.

1) Change oil, and hopefully not find coolant in it.
2) Replace radiator.
3) Test drive truck, see if OD magically fixed it self with a properly operating cooling system. If OD works, replace ATF and filter. Have my buddies scanner handy to see what the computer is requesting the tranny to do.
4) If problem persists, jack the back end up and replace the speed sensor.(thanks for the tip about having the back end higher.. didnt see that in other threads!). Will also adjust the bands while Im there.
5) Road test. If it works, replace ATF and filter.
6) If it still doesn't work then I gotta drop the pan I guess? At that time I will also do the filter and stuff. In the plan I have the filter at the last point just because I dont want to drain and replace it only to have to drain it all again if the radiator and speed sensor doesn't work.

Im guessing if the ECU is telling the tranny to go into OD and its not(and its also not slipping, just not shifting anywhere), chances are its a solenoid issue?

Man, I cant wait to drive this thing! Its going to be so nice to have a diesel that I don't have to stretch my legs to my stomach to get into!

Last edited by BoostedOne; 12-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.
BoostedOne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.