Can bad alternator cause engine and transmission problems? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Can bad alternator cause engine and transmission problems?

with the engine running, the voltage across battery fluctuates between 11-12 volts. Also, I'm getting code 1740. Also, seems like the transmission does not go into overdrive at freeway speeds. And the truck is only getting like 12-13 MPG.
Just wondering if the alternator could be causing these malfunctions?

Prior to all this happening the waterpump finally failed and sent coolant spraying all over the engine area. Could have messed up the alternator or something?
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,195 Posts
Have you checked all electrical connections. it's easy to pull alternator off and have bench tested at local parts store. This is perfered over test entire circuit intially.
Have you been messing with Lockup wiring??
and lastely: yes.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

have not messed with any wiring so far. I did read a thread here about resetting the APPS, I have not done it yet.
I just think it is too coincidental that the transmission or TC is acting up and the alternator is not charging properly. By the way the headlights are running a lot dimmer than usual as to what clued me in to check the alternator in the first place.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is this thread still available for posting?
Ironduke10 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

need a new alternator and yes it could very well be causing tranny issues. If you want to see if its causing a tranny issue , start the truck, pull the alt fuse in the pdc and then take it for a drive. If no more tranny problems then the alt was the cause.
01 auto 4 by 4, Fass 150, edge juice attitude, hot unlock, bd towing twins,stage one cam, F1 4.8 injectors, , ported fireringed head , 110 springs, full billet DTT ,ARP studs, four inch mbrp, ARE dcu, , line x ,bedslide,
pmccue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Thanked 2,994 Times in 2,320 Posts
Just about everything you need to know.
Mopar1973Man's Dodge Cummins Articles - Torque Converter Lock/Unlock Issues

Quote:
OK! Problem solved! Yippee!!!

Took the recently purchased Alternator back to O'Reilly's where I got it from, had them test it on their tester. They told me they run the test 3 times and if they get a PASS all three times, its a good alternator. When I asked about measuring AC Voltage, they looked dumbfounded, so I asked them if I could hook my multi-meter up to the alternator while they tested? They agreed! So now this alternator is reading .35 Volts AC as the first test PASS'S, they run the second test and we get a FAIL, the guy gives me a funny look, checks his wires and runs the third test and we get another FAIL. So the guy now rells me guess we have a bad alternator but they don't have another one on the shelf and I will need to wait till tomorrow to bring one in from the other store. I say, I'm OK with that, but that I've learned my lesson and we are going to have to test the next alternator as well before I leave the store with it. The next morning (yesterday) they call me and let me know the alternator is in and I can come down and pick it up. We do the test like before, and this time we get a PASS, PASS, PASS, however my multi-meter is reading 0.3 Volts AC, and then I also notice that on their machine there is a box at the top that says Diodes and across from that box on the screen says N/A. So I ask the guy about it and he says their machine has no way of testing the diodes, it only test for overall condition of the alternator. Unhappy with what I'm hearing and looking at, I request my money back which they had no problem with at all, however the core I earlier took in was no longer in the store so the gave me cash in the amount of $215.00 (their core charge on that alternator $36.00 along with the full purchace price of $179.00.)

By this time I have no core, only to find out all the other auto parts stores around town are charging a $70 - $80 core charge for this alterrnator, and a lot of the places have no tester. Starting to get a bit frustrated, I decided to quit messing around and go to the most reliable place in town I know of, a small family owned auto electric and mechanical shop (Auto Electric, Anchorage, Alaska). I was hoping that maybe they had heard of this isuue I am having with the TCL and get fixed up with a good alternator. They rebuild all kinds of auto electrical parts right there in house as well a run a full service auto mechanic shop. Well,,,,I explained my problem to them and showed them a printed copy of the troubleshooting procedure I got from the Mopa1973Man website, to which they said...never heard of this before. However these guys are real pro's and they didn't blow me off. They took my concerns seriously, brought two techs in out of the shop to talk with me about this, as I explainded to them the 0.1 Volt AC upper limit thing. They genuinly got concerned and were pulling down alternators, checking them on the bench and checking outputs at vehicles in the shop. In all, I was in there for about two hours while they tested and discussed and in the end the shop found me a NEW alternator and gave me a heck of a deal @ $239.00 w/no core charge. The NEW alternator was putting out 0.22 Volts AC on their alternator bench vise, and that concerned me cause I was looking for something under 0.1 VAC. However in further discussion, the techs I was working with concluded, (and BTW they turned out to be right), that the test machine itself was putting off AC Noise and that the Fluke Meter was picking up that AC Noise during the test, and that since the Voltage Regulator is on either the PCM or ECM, the only way to accuratly read out the AC output on this alternator was to put it on the vehicle and measure it at that time. So,,,I took the alternator home, hooked it all up, and WALLA... measured at the battries -0.01 Volts AC @idle, and 0.00 Volts AC @2000 RPM. Feeling pretty good at this point I take it for a test drive. Runs and shifts perfectly. NO MORE PROBLEMS!!!

Cory, I believe he's the manger or maybe owner, at Auto Electric said though he's heard and dealt with a lot of Dodge Cummins issues like this before, had never heard of this shifting problem being linked to + 0.10 VAC output on the alternator. He asked me to check back in with him to let him know how all this worked out. I will do that on Monday, as well as express my thanks for all the personal attention, efforts and concerns Auto Electric gave to me to adress my problem.

In the meantime, my utmost gratitude to Mopar1973Man for sharing your knoweledge and wisdom on this issue. I had tried all the bandaid tricks only to have them each work for anywhere to a couple hours to a couple days or so and then reappear. I believe what was happening was that as I fixed a ground or foiled a wire, it masked the problem just long enough for the diodes on the alternator to get a little worse and then BOOM, the problem is back!

Very good information Mopar1973Man!!!
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Opps double post.

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 09-25-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironduke10 View Post
Is this thread still available for posting?
Nope! Try again..
01.5 2500 QCSB 4x4 5.9 SLT, 47RE Rebuilt @ 140k, 3.55 gears, 285/70/17's, 4" Straight pipe/exhaust brake. Purchaced 5-13-11, 190k on the clock now. Added: fuel press/trans temp/EGT gauges, TC L/S/UL switch, Edge comp -no pump tap- yet
DSLDVL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLDVL View Post
Nope! Try again..
How about now?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

1996 Dodge Ram Alternator Fuse Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccue View Post
need a new alternator and yes it could very well be causing tranny issues. If you want to see if its causing a tranny issue , start the truck, pull the alt fuse in the pdc and then take it for a drive. If no more tranny problems then the alt was the cause.
Would anyone know which fuse is for the alternator?
Old 09-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Has anyone experienced a similar issue as discussed in the attached link?

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/1iv0...iesel-4x4.html
Old 09-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
www.Mopar1973Man.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironduke10 View Post
Would anyone know which fuse is for the alternator?
Watch my video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.