Oil and fuel filter part numbers and prices - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,184 Times in 936 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Oil and fuel filter part numbers and prices

I was looking at Geno's to possibly save some money on future oil and fuel filters and by also not having to drive to my local Cummins West store, which happens to be about 40 miles away. But upon looking at the Geno's price chart and part numbers, I became a tad confused. I always install the Fleetgaurd Stratapore 3984 but Geno's says that not only is the 3984 right for the '98-'02 but that the 16035 is for the '89-'11 trucks as well. I've never had anyone ask me at Cummins if I wanted the 16035. Not that I think this is a big deal but the 16035 is cheaper than the 3984..........by a dollar..........but a bucks a buck. Especially when I used to buy these filters for about $8-$10 in the past five years and now they're $14. Whats the deal? Is everyone out to make not only a buck these days but more like a few bucks while their at it. Same goes for the fuel filter. Thats also now $14..........but I'm not complaining about that price to much since the dealer wants about $50 for the same part. Which is just crazy.

So does anyone have any better ideas as to where to get Fleetgaurd filters and what about those part numbers?????
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Luber-Finer Filters

I was searching online today and found Luber-Finer filters by searching DieselFiltersOnline.com. I've got a Stock, 2000 Ram 3500, 5.9 Cummins, 24V I just bought and I'm changing all the filters etc. for the first time. The oil filter is $5.08, Fuel Filter is $10.09 and stock air filter is $8.15 plus $8.95 shipping is $32.27. Cheaper than I can buy just the oil locally! Has anyone used these filters? Are they good to run?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Part Number for Luber-Finer Filters

The Part Numbers are:
Oil Filter: LFP780
Fuel Filter: L1261F
Air Filter: AF-7878
Will these numbers crossover to some other filters? Any opinions about these filters? Any Advice? I'll Start Mods next spring: BHAF and larger Exhaust but I'm just trying to make the winter and save up some money for mods.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I've never heard of them..........but that doesn't mean a whole lot.
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
mikedodge3500 (12-22-2010)
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Well before looking for the least expensive you should look at what Dodge / Cummins recommends.
RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

I used the Purolator as it was easily available to me, I will look to get either a Mopar or Fleetguard the next time as the Purolator has smaller return holes than the Mopar that came off.
I also followed the advice from others on the forum to fill the filter with oil before installing. It takes a FULL Quart of oil to fill, it only took about 5 seconds to build pressure once started.
01 2500 5.9 QCLB 4X4 5 Spd, Valair DD Organic, Power Puck, 274K miles ISSPRO Gauges FP, Pyro,& Boost. "A" Pillar, FASS DDRP-02, BIG Line Kit, 18 PSI, 3.55's, Kool Vue Tow mirrors, Bilstien 5100's, Pacbrake, Puke bottle deleted.
rhagfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to rhagfo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think it is really the price that matters to me it is how well it filters. I work on 5.9 bus engines all day and we put NAPA fuel filters in our buses and the micron rating was way off(2 micron when it should have been more like a 10 micron filter), and starved the injection pump of fuel. that was on a VP-44. not good I would recommend you check this web sight out if you have not already and it will give you the cross reference and sometimes the micron rating. WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up
B to the ret! is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to B to the ret! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,209 Posts
On lubeFiner - bought some and was disapointed in amount of filter media on fuel filter and air filter. Many manufactures have multiple part numbers that fit a perticular application. Fleetguard has over 10 numbers that are direct application for the DD engine. This includes a near $40.00 extended service filter. So I claim bragging rights for most expensive filter.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dozer12216 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well before looking for the least expensive you should look at what Dodge / Cummins recommends.
RECOMMENDED OIL FILTERS FOR USE WITH CUMMINS 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE:

Part Number Manufacturer
05016547AC Mopar
LF3894 Fleetguard Stratopore
LF3552 Fleetguard Microglass
LF3949 Fleetguard Cellulose
3937695 Cummins Cellulose
FL896 MotorCraft Cellulose
L45335 Purolator Cellulose
PF1070 AC Delco Cellulose

I used the Purolator as it was easily available to me, I will look to get either a Mopar or Fleetguard the next time as the Purolator has smaller return holes than the Mopar that came off.
I also followed the advice from others on the forum to fill the filter with oil before installing. It takes a FULL Quart of oil to fill, it only took about 5 seconds to build pressure once started.
As rhagfo stated, what Cummins recommends definitely should not to be overlooked. Saving a few bucks on filters isn't worth it if you're possibly putting your engine at risk. The main issue with low quality oil filters on the Cummins is because the filter media can fall apart and clog the piston skirt oil jets. Then you have real problems. And also pre-filling the oil filter is a MUST do step. Otherwise the rush of oil from the 24v engine can damage the media. I dont think the 12v's did that. Also, using a Fram oil filter would have voided your warranty so you might want to stray from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to KATOOM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATOOM View Post
As rhagfo stated, what Cummins recommends definitely should not to be overlooked. Saving a few bucks on filters isn't worth it if you're possibly putting your engine at risk. The main issue with low quality oil filters on the Cummins is because the filter media can fall apart and clog the piston skirt oil jets. Then you have real problems. And also pre-filling the oil filter is a MUST do step. Otherwise the rush of oil from the 24v engine can damage the media. I dont think the 12v's did that. Also, using a Fram oil filter would have voided your warranty so you might want to stray from them.
that true... i got a mopar oil filter as my friend work at westgate dodge chrysler jeep part dept.. so i got a good price... i did oil changed last saturday that i did pour oil in the oil filter while drain the engine oil plug.

i has use lucas oil stabilizer and shell 15w-40...
2002 24V 5.9L Cummins turbocharged Diesel with NV5600. Dana M80 3.55. Everything are stock, it has 204k miles now and counting. Raptor 100 fuel pump, big line kit as 1/2" from pick-up in tank to VP44. three gauges as boost, exhaust temp and fuel pressure.
Deafautotech is offline   Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Deafautotech For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I have used napa or wix filters with good luck. As far as the fleet guard stratapore every time I have look into them from my cummins dealer they are running about twice the cost of napa filter that I am running.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

I just got a Mopar Cummins oil filter for my 02 Cummins at Walmart. Says Mopar Cummins on the filter and box...$10.00 part number is MO-285...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Beer drinking superhero

Just a heads up guys but those of you who might have heard of Newholland tractors, their oil filters will fit the 5.9 cummins 100%. I don't have prices or specs on the filters but a friend has those tractors on his farm and he uses their filters on his dodge. I don't know if this is any good but I do find that agricultural parts tend to be cheaper but good quality. The Newhollands I'm on about cost over $100k new so the filters should be good?.

01 3500 Dually Q.CAB, Quad Adr.,pulse, 4" straight stainless exhaust, air dog FP 150 fuel preporator, half inch draw straw and fuel lines.Rancho 5000 shocks rear, 9 way adjustable up front, 3.55 rear end.DIY built DTT trans, triple disc low stall Goerand tc,billet flex plate and input shaft, DTT shift kit, Holset HX40W 60/65/16 turbo(stock turbo propping the door open)125hp DAP injectors pushing on the pistons, BHAF and more to come
irish power mad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.