01 dodge ram 3500 47RE shifting problem 1st 2nd gear - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
01 dodge ram 3500 47RE shifting problem 1st 2nd gear

got a 47RE on 01 dodge ram. used to have no 1st gear. The truck would always start from second gear. Changed the pressure sensor and solenoid on the valve body and now have 1st gear.

Then new problem came up. sometimes, while in second, tranny would shift to 1st gear and the engine would be at a high RPM. Now it seems like in order to shift to second gear, i have to let go of throttle in order to shift into second gear if i am 2,000 rpm or higher. Then once in second, if i hit any hill or anything like that, it would shift back to 1st gear and i would be at 3,000 rpm.

Anybody know whats going on? Bad shift cable? Bad band adjustment? Thanks
KnightOwl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

sounds like your Throttle Valve cable is out of adjustment and the tranny thinks you are hard on the throttle so it down shifts or doesn't shift at all mine is a little frayed and once in a while it does the same thing when it gets stuck but definitely start there
dozer12216 (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

should i Oder a new one and try replacing it?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

it wouldnt hurt but it might need adjustment but i think when you get a new one it tells you how to adjust it i think it gets adjusted by the apps below your throttle cable
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,426 Times in 1,232 Posts
Why not look at the cable and see if it is frayed or hanging. Need someone to open/close throttle while monitor movement at left side of tranny.
Or better yet, have it diagnoised by someone that is knowledgable of system.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

your saying remove the black cover by the engine, fire up the truck, hit the throttle couples of times..... then shift gears while the truck is on E brake and have a look at the cable assembly by the transmission? See if it moves when shifting from 1, 2 D and N?
Old 11-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

while under the truck look up at the transmission you should see two steel lines coming out of the tranny headed for the front of the truck look at the front most line and just below and in front of it you should see a lever that has a cable attached to it grab the lever and pull it twards the back of the truck if the cable moves the cable is fine there should be a spring attached to the lever if not or if its broken it can cause the same problem so you don't need to start the truck to check it operation
Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertungdemon View Post
while under the truck look up at the transmission you should see two steel lines coming out of the tranny headed for the front of the truck look at the front most line and just below and in front of it you should see a lever that has a cable attached to it grab the lever and pull it twards the back of the truck if the cable moves the cable is fine there should be a spring attached to the lever if not or if its broken it can cause the same problem so you don't need to start the truck to check it operation
yeah shift cable on the tranny moves back and forth nicely. I just dont understand why all the gears work great including the second gear if i am past 2k rpm ONLY but need to let go of the throttle when shifting from 1st to 2nd when 2k rpm or higher. Also if i hit the throttle when in 2nd and i am 2k rpm under, it shifts down to 1st gear and then causing the engine to scream very loud with little powder gain because i am at 20 miles an hour already and maxing out on 1st gear..
Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

sounds like low hydraulic pressure or a bad or sticking boost valve but it could be the throttle valve or almost anything inside the valve body

Last edited by silvertungdemon; 11-13-2010 at 02:06 AM.
silvertungdemon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have heard that a leaking lip seal on the 1-2 clutch pack gives this symptom and it has been fairly common on valve bodies that boost line pressure for bombed engines. Can be checked with a pressure guage on ports.
Sootblower is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

is their a guide on how to check it>?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

ALLDATA Online - Automotive Diagnostic & Repair Information
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.