transfer case rebuild - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
transfer case rebuild

i have a 1998.5 dodge 2500 slt extended cab 4x4 24 valve with a 241 t case. it is not the hd case. im going to rebuild my case next weekend. i have a kit on its way from monster transmission and performance. im rebuilding it cause i have a bearing out and there's not point in tearing the case apart and just replacing one bearing. but i need help. i've never been into a t case before. any tips would be helpful and if any one knows of a web site or something that shows how to rebuild one that would be great. thanks a lot guys!!!!!!!!
98plasterer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
VP Moderator

Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,257 Posts
TC's are quite easy to rebuild. Just keep track of needle bearings if equiped and location of snap rings. Pay attention to oil pickup tube and not damage. Piece of cake. Take pictures if necessay for us with short memory.
2008 3500 stock QCLB dually Inferno red. Toys: Fuel injected Rampage, Road Grader, 1586 tractor, 60K genset, Honda ATV, and more. Back in business with a Hitachi EX270LC excavator. The dirt slinging has begun with 50+ acres to clear.
dozer12216 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

i was planning on taking many pictures. thanks for the help. is there any specs that i need to know about when going back together?
98plasterer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Just subscribing... my tcase is majorly Fd up but dont have much money right now to buy one and dont know how to rebuild one. Mine slams into neutral if i hit the gas hard when in reverse, makes cracking/grinding noise when accelerating from a hard stop (if i let off the gas, move tcase shifter from 2wd to 4wd then back to 2wd it kind of "resets" it and the crackin noise goes away and i can continue to apply a load) also locks itself into 4wd when in 2wd and make a very sharp turn
Power maxIII, smarty, snow water meth inj, 150hp injectors, AFE intake, ATS arcflow intake horn, 64mm borg warner, banks bighead wastegate, FASS150 liftpump, 4" exhaust w/ banks hiflo resonator to 6" stacks, billet TC/trans work
02-24v is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-24v View Post
Just subscribing... my tcase is majorly Fd up but dont have much money right now to buy one and dont know how to rebuild one. Mine slams into neutral if i hit the gas hard when in reverse, makes cracking/grinding noise when accelerating from a hard stop (if i let off the gas, move tcase shifter from 2wd to 4wd then back to 2wd it kind of "resets" it and the crackin noise goes away and i can continue to apply a load) also locks itself into 4wd when in 2wd and make a very sharp turn
sounds like your shift collar is shot and probably your gears to but you might be so lucky to have the shifter out of adjustment
Old 11-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

a good site to find almost anything is ALLDATA Online - Automotive Diagnostic & Repair Information
Old 11-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks man. Sounds like itd be worth it to rebuild? no cracks in the case, checked for that..
Power maxIII, smarty, snow water meth inj, 150hp injectors, AFE intake, ATS arcflow intake horn, 64mm borg warner, banks bighead wastegate, FASS150 liftpump, 4" exhaust w/ banks hiflo resonator to 6" stacks, billet TC/trans work
02-24v is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
New Mexico Chapter Vice President

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
ive replace the shift forks and pads and synchro struts and ring in mine 3 times. i guess i wasnt doing something right. so i just dropped it off at a local transmission shop to rebuild it. turns out my chain is stretched then i had bad bearings and gears. also the spindle that the chain sits on is eaten up. theyre charging me 1600 to fully rebuilt it with all new parts and updated snap rings. i coulda just bought a new one for that price, but the good part is that theyre giving me a 5 year unlimited mile warranty on it.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-24v View Post
Could very well be your shift collar, but you could have also thrown your synchos off of the hub (as they are held on by two small snaps) and eaten through your stop ring. Try adjusting your linkage to see if that makes a difference, set up more toward the neutral side of 2wd than the 4wd side. You can also reverse the coupling on the CAD to lock the front axle and see if that makes a difference. Just got done rebuilding mine, same noise and problems from mine, I tossed my rear main output bearing which wrecked havoc on the syncho assembly, planentaries, and all my bearings. Try transpart warehouse out of vegas for parts, they strip down old tcase and sell the usable parts.
nate2500 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Hope this helps: NP 241DHD Info
Y2K | NV4500 | NP241DHD | BHAF w/ prefilter | BD Wastegate | Edge Juice With CS Monitor | AirDog II | Dana 80 | Valair Clutch 500/1000 | NC4WD Flat Bed | GM Wheel Cylinders | 3rd Gen Wheels | 3rd Gen Front Brakes | Super HD Track Bar | Skyjacker Rear Springs | NC4WD Pre-Runner Bumper | Bilstein 5100's Front / 7100's Rear | 6" Grand Rock Stack | 35" KM2's | Amsoil Bypass Filter | North Country Rock Sliders | Cummins Coolant Filter | Lots of Ballistic Fabrication Parts | T-Style HD Tie Rod| Heavy 2 Stroke Diet | Updated 5th Gear Nut | Puke Bottle Delete | DSS Steering Stabilizer | Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms
NC4WD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.