How to disconnect a trans cooler line fitting??? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
How to disconnect a trans cooler line fitting???

I'm trying to replace one of my trans cooler lines and am unable to disconnect the fitting. I've tried using a fuel injector/transmission fitting tool and have had no luck. I'm using the 1/2" section of the tool. Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
I'm trying to replace one of my trans cooler lines and am unable to disconnect the fitting. I've tried using a fuel injector/transmission fitting tool and have had no luck. I'm using the 1/2" section of the tool. Any help would be appreciated.
I need to know too. Mine is leaking and I either need to replace it or cut that fitting off and clamp the hose onto the hard line or get a new line/fitting.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I've found another type if disconnect tool. Hope to have it done this afternoon. I'm going to try transmission line and a clamp first. The replacement line with crimp on fitting is $120 from the dealership & $70 pluse shipping from one of the forum members.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Line Repacement

So in the end it was the aluminum line that runs from the rear of the trans to the front of the truck to just under the crankcase vent that had the leak. My rusty diagnostic skills and rush to complete the repair cost me $120 more than the correct diagnosis the first time would have. If I've learned from my mistake then it's worth it.

I started with a leak at the flex-line/hard-line fitting on I believe the return line of my 99 auto. What I thought was a leaky fitting ended up being a crease in the hard line (don't know how it got there) I found it after replacing the $110 flex line didn't fix the leak. I used a 1/2" AC/Fuel line disconnect tool from auto zone to remove the fitting. It was part of a set of four aluminum disconnects that where sold together. The first allin one that I purchesed didn't have a long enough sleeve to disengage the clips on the inside of the fitting.

The replacement of the $50 hard line took another trip to the dealership and 30 min of work by fluorescent lantern disconnecting clips and linkage, and snaking the hard line out towards the rear of the truck. Instalation was quick and painless with a large sigh of relief when upon start up I no longer had niagra falls under my truck. I'll try to post some pics of the fitting and tool.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Mine is leaking where the flex-line/hard-line come together. Do you think i could just cut the fitting off and push the hose onto the hard line and use a few stainless band clamps to keep it on there?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Don't think the hose is long enough. That was my original plan, but I got tired of messing around with the wrong size hose. If you want to go that route the hose is 1/2" ID. Make sure you have a longer piece available before you cut it, if you don't have another ride available.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I have some extra 1/2 inch fuel line from my AirDog when I installed it. It's good quality hose and all I will need is a coupler and some good clamps. I know what tomorrows project is haha
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

mine was leaking where it conects to the cooler.

so i bought new lines

still leaking

the cooler end was getting worn from vibration and stuff

so then i bought a new cooler

then it was all good.

thought about just a straight hose but didnt
AirDog 150 Fuel System, Industrial Injection 90hp injectors, Banks High Ram, 48RE Special, ATS Manifold, Super Phatshaft Turbo, ARP Studs
calltrex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I had a really hard time wrapping my head around the price for the OEM parts. I have an even harder time wrapping my head around walking to/ missing work. So, in the end I forked over the dough and haven't looked back. Drove it 80 miles today, no leakes, no problems. In the end what ever works best for you is the best solution. It DID hurt my pride to pay $110 for 18" of 1/2"ID hose with a crimped on fitting with a MOPAR tag on it that I know I could have fixed with the right size hose and a clamp.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I got my fitting off and it looks like a peice of metal has worn a spot in the hard line and the fitting itself is leaking. And of course the stealerships parts departments are closed today and they have to order it anyway. So for now i have it rigged till i can get the real parts on it. Looks like i'll be forking out the money just so i know its good to go for a long time...
Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

After looking around and seeing that people have replaced all of the lines including hard lines with heavy duty hydraulic line. I've decided to do that. I know where i can get 1/2" line. But does anybody know what kind of fitting i will need to connect the lines up to the tank looking thing on the pass side of the motor?
Is this what i need (the top fitting)?
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...022033+5999999

Last edited by bond150; 10-25-2010 at 03:01 PM.
bond150 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Bump. Do yall think these fittings are the ones that come from the bottom of the water-to-oil cooler on the side of the motor?
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.