Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission band adjustment/TV cable adjustment

24K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  2dodges 
#1 ·
On my 47RE How would I adjust the bands inside the transmission. I have been reading up on it and some people say just let it keep doing what its been doing since adjusting them could make it go faster...

Also would the TV cable have anything to do with it?

Any help or steps on how to would be great thanks.

#2 ·
What is it doing

Band for second is adjusted externally
Reverse band, you will need to drop the pan

#3 ·
Do tell on the band for second.....Please!

#5 ·
Reactions: Fern and 02ram2500
#6 ·
I just did my front band it made a bit of a difference. The band adjust set screw is a torx bit can't rember the size and a 18mm 3/8 socket with a extention to clear the trany lines. the set screw is located right behind the throtttle cable. unhook the spring so thaty is out of the way. then use the socket to mack the lock nut off about 5 turns. then turn the set screw in to 78 inlbs then back off 1 7/8 turns and hold the set screw and tighten the lock nut back up.

#12 ·
what about coming back down into 1st? as I come to a stop now, mine stays in second and won't drop down unless I manually pull it down. When the truck is cold it drops to first, but after it gets 180-190 it won't shift down. I adjusted the front band yesterday but that didn't help it. Does that sound like the rear band needs adjustment, or something with the TC once the fluid heats up?

#13 ·
No, the rear band is for reverse

Govenor Solenoid is where I would start

Reactions: 02ram2500
#14 ·
thanks dhoagland for the response.

I wasn't sure because I read earlier in the thread you had said this

First gear = Rear clutch applied
Second = Rear clutch & front band applied
Third = Rear clutch & Front clutch (Front band released as front clutch was applied)

So, I thought maybe I also needed the rear band adjusted. I found a local transmission shop that will do a free diagnostic on the truck so that's the route I am going. Thanks again.

#15 ·
you should keep your bands adjusted as routine maintenance like you would with your filter. this prolongs life of the trans. the shift will be better and it will hold better under liad. 700k on first rebuild of 05 trans. down shift problems could be selonoids or internal wire harness failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.