Master & Slave Cylinder - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Master & Slave Cylinder

Hey guys, I went and bought the master and slave cylinder from Dodge a few minutes ago and after I got home saw where its in two peaces. The slave isn't connected to the master cylinder part. DOes it just snap together or what? I read on here where it was already bled and ready to go once its installed. They may've sold me the wrong thing??? I've got to get my truck back on the road!
blkeele is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Nope, you got the right parts. It does just snap together, pedal might be a bit mushy on the first two or three pushes, but once it's all installed, it'll be fine. I would recommend installing the master cylinder, routing the cable down, installing the slave cylinder, before you connect them, just because trying to snake the cable down with the slave already attached is a major PITA. nothing to it!
blkeele (07-21-2010), texasborn01 (11-02-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks man, I started worrying a bit after I got home and opened it up. I've already bought the slave cylinder and found out the hard way not to do that....I don't know why I didn't read the forums first.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,178 Times in 930 Posts
Just curious but what was the reason you changed them?
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
KATOOM is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got the truck back on the road. Wasn't to bad of a job. The other day I started out and hit the clutch and the truck kept going. Had to turn the truck off to get it back in gear. Had to drive her home with no clutch pedal 40 miles... Not a fun drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to blkeele For This Useful Post:
dozer12216 (07-22-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkeele View Post
The other day I started out and hit the clutch and the truck kept going. Had to turn the truck off to get it back in gear. Had to drive her home with no clutch pedal 40 miles... Not a fun drive.
There was no sign giving any indication. It just quit?
'01 2500 Sport 4x4 5spd w/Fastcoolers, Mag-Hytec, EZ, 4" w/o muffler, Steering brace, aFe intake, 2 lo kit, Isspro Boost, fuel pressure, and EGT all on pillar, Westach Trans/Diff temp gauge in dash pod, Raptor 100 w/ 1/2" line, Pac Brake, Rancho 9000, 285's
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

The other day before it went completely out I hit the gas and it felt like the clutch was slipping and then it grabbed. I knew something was going on then...figured it was the slave. I've had the same thing on a different vehicle. The clutch pedal also felt like it didn't start working till I pushed it all the way to the floor. I had to put a new tranny in it about 5,000 miles ago and redid the flywheel and new clutch. I'd say the new clutch is what finished off the clutch master slave cylinder. The hardest thing of the job was getting the clip off the clutch pedal.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanks. The reason I ask is because my master cylinder acts totally normal in the morning but as the day progresses and especially if it gets hot out, the clutch pedal begins to get this herky jerky rubbery squeaky feel and sound. I can live with the annoyance but I just dont want it to stop working all of a sudden. I should buy another one just in case but I can think of a lot of other things I need to spend at least $250 on.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Come to think about it my clutch pedal had been making a strange sound as well...I had forgot all about it till now. When I took it off the clutch pedal it looked like it had been leaking. Its probably the part that gave out over the slave cylinder. Can't blame you for not wanting to buy one till it does go down but it took the dealership a day to get the part so if you don't have an extra vehicle it might not be a bad idea to get one if you think its coming soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to blkeele For This Useful Post:
KATOOM (07-22-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

my clutch was doin the same thing + after i would change gears the pedal didnt return up to the top for about 2sec after every shift till last night when i went to back out of sonic parkin lot and it all of a sudden had no clutch to slow down orderin one today should be up and going tomorra

01 dodge 24v,4x4,5spd,BHAF,str8 pipe,s03,pillar gauges,airdog,50hp injectors,he351c turbo
68 mustang coupe,650cfm holley 4bbl carb, headers,B&M shifter,msd 6al ignition
patrickb-24v- is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Knock on wood, my clutch seems to work fine but my pedal gets this rubbery squeaky feeling and sound the longer I drive it for the day. The next morning it feels better. I chased the noise to the master cylinder and it doesn't seem like there's any of that being transmitted up from the slave or clutch itself. Figuring I had nothing to loose since I was needing a new M/S setup anyways.....last night I pushed the clutch pedal in about half way, pulled the clutch switch away from the firewall, and spayed PB Blast lubricant in along side the shaft. This morning my clutch felt way more smooth, so I'll see if that silky feeling goes away toward the end of the day again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.