Truck pulls hard to the left when braking - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 24V Forums > 98.5-02 Powertrain
98.5-02 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect..NO ADVERTISING .

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Truck pulls hard to the left when braking

My truck has started pulling hard left when I hit my brakes. It drives staright as a string but when I hit my brakes I have to steer to the right to keep from going in the other lane. Any ideas? Im thinking something with the brakes need adjusting or maybe new pads??? I dont know. Just need somewhere to start. The truck sat for a month or so and the driver side break sceeched real bad for about 500 miles, Its stopped screeching but now it pulls to the left. I figured the screechin was just rusty rotors
dbfd588 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

sounds like a caliper is hanging
2000 2500 ext cab airaid cold air intake edge jwa and isspro egt fuel press. and boost gauges 5 in exhaust air dog 150 1/2 inch fuel line from tank to ip valair 550 sd clutch, 200 horse sticks super b special 1% tint debadged chopped seats
dscotthef1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscotthef1 View Post
sounds like a caliper is hanging
The screeching sounds like his pads are worn but the pulling to the left is a bad brake line. If it continued to pull AFTER you let off the pedal then I would agree on the caliper but this sounds like a line issue to me.

Last edited by botlebruiser; 07-18-2010 at 02:23 AM.
botlebruiser is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
what year truck do you have and do you have discs all the way around or disc in front and drums in rear

on my 01 that had the same problem you are describing it was a combination of worn everthing... drums and shoes were metal on metal and the pads and rotors were jacked up as well.... replaced it all and no more pull...
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by botlebruiser View Post
The screeching sounds like his pads are worn but the pulling to the left is a bad brake line. If it continued to pull AFTER you let off the pedal then I would agree on the caliper but this sounds like a line issue to me.
that could definitly be the problem never thought about the brake line only reason i say caliper one of mine was hanging and didnt pull till i hit the brakes the only reason i found that it was hanging was the terrible brake smell
2000 2500 ext cab airaid cold air intake edge jwa and isspro egt fuel press. and boost gauges 5 in exhaust air dog 150 1/2 inch fuel line from tank to ip valair 550 sd clutch, 200 horse sticks super b special 1% tint debadged chopped seats
dscotthef1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Pull the right side caliper off and see if you can compress the piston back into the housing. My bets are on that since he mentioned the truck sat for a month.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshellshock View Post
Pull the right side caliper off and see if you can compress the piston back into the housing. My bets are on that since he mentioned the truck sat for a month.
i agree, check the right side caliper its not braking as hard as the left one thats why youre going left. check the piston and make sure the caliper itself still slides on the pins, they could be seized up.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

my truck only does it after sitting in traffic. i think its my calipers after they get hot im thinking only one wants to work. such as a o ring hanging up from the aluminum housing getting warm? so i bought calipers we will see what happens. this post made me think about buying brake hoses also
Hemijosh426 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

just throwin this out there could be a warped rotor as well??? if your replacing your calipers and pads id definetly take rotors to local parts store and have them turned.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

My '97 did the exact same thing (although it's never driven straight as a string). Hard pull to the left with braking, gone as soon as you let up. Wound up being a plugged line to the right caliper. It was the rubber line, if I recall correctly. I'd put my money on that. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.